"What The Hell Do I Do Now?" Thread ~ GUILDTY!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:08 pm

Looking forward to it "Snickerknikers" :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:26 pm

Oh dear :oops: Crysania said she wanted to, I really really am backed up with my schedule with this back therapy and Doctors.. sorry
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:38 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:Oh dear :oops: Crysania said she wanted to, I really really am backed up with my schedule with this back therapy and Doctors.. sorry

Whoops - sorry Tina that's my fault for not seeing Crysania there. You're definitely down as gawping and no more... :oops:

Very sorry Crysania, but it looks like we were in a flurry of posting there for a few minutes and I missed your post - don't worry about playing too much as I'll talk anyone through what they're supposed to be doing as often as needed! :wink:

It's not really too hard to play and all you really need to do is defend yourself from being lynched and, if you have a special role then you just do that part of it off-thread by PMing me :wink: Anyone who does have an additional duty will get also a reminder from me on PM - it's actually a lot easier to grasp this once we get started and once we get to lynching people you'll start to get an idea of how you might weed out more suspects or indeed find out who're the 'undercover' cops :wink:

OK guys the playing/gawping lists now look like this -

As of now we have a list of these Players
cols
Dotsie
theLibrarian
Sjoerd
Bikkit
Crysania
pooh

and these Interested Gawpers
Lest
Chris
Who's Wee Dug
Tina etc
Tonyblack
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:42 pm

For now I may be a gawper but only until I see what exactly is happening and join in when I get the understanding of it!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:27 pm

Lady V - I need definite sign-ups for players before we start else you won't be included in the draw for special roles that have to be assigned at the start of the game. In other words no more players can join in once we've started playing - sorry :(

I don't think you'll find this too hard at all on the posting side of things as it's literally a blind vote to try to eliminate one person by 'lynching' then voting gets closed once there's a victim chosen. The killers then secretly choose their next victim and let me know by PM and the cops also PM me to say who they want to protect and/or take in for interrogation overnight - after the first round and an update on the outcomes of the previous night's secret PMing we start again with the voting which may be more informed depending on who's been killed or lynched...
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:28 pm

In that case I'll just gawp. Too much going on in my life at the moment.

Lady Vetinari

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:31 pm

:oops: I've just had a look of my notes for this from when I opened the thread and realised I've been slightly misleading everyone on eliminating suspects - I suspect that Sir Samuel is behind this but it was firmly pointed out to me that lynching is NOT encouraged as a method of dectoring murder suspects in Ankh-Morpork and so any full player accused (by popular acclaim) of being one of the rogue assassins will now instead be taken into safe custody for the duration and will not be released until the true culprits are identified and the streets are deemed safe once more... :twisted:

Should you be unlucky enough to be so incarcerated you may still participate with the gawpers by means of yelling out of your cell window to the vengeful crowds or with any fellow internees, but you cannot vote any more.
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:54 am

Snickerknickers. I missed out the "C".
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:46 am

poohcarrot wrote:Snickerknickers. I missed out the "C".

I was too polite to say smartypats :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:48 pm

and they are off again :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:47 pm

OK Guys 'n Gals and dual IDs - we're ready to roll just about and so this thread will now become our Q&A, instructions and 'What the hell do I do now?' thread if you don't know what to do in the main game thread which I'll be opening very shortly.

Before that I'll be PMing some of you players if you've been given 'secret' roles as Watch Officers or killers and then play will commence on the new thread as soon as you like.

This post will be linked to the game thread because I'm putting on the instructions on gameplay in here and then anything after this is for stuff that you can't post 'in public' as it were :wink:

GAMEPLAY

1. Each of the players post on the thread as ordinary citizens of Ankh-Morpork (so as yourself, sitting at your PC this very moment, reading this).

a) People who do not want to play may still join in the guessing game fun as Gawpers – this is Ankh-Morpork after all and you have to have a good nosey, but your posts will not be taken into account as part of the game and you cannot get killed or vote for prime suspects. Just be a good rabble and have a good gossip about what’s going on – cheering or booing is welcomed…

2. 4 players will be assigned a special official role (this will be done by PM with instructions on how to play that part) – either as one of the killers or one of the Watch officers BUT you are still an ordinary citizen out in the main thread, undercover – in other words nobody else will know who you really are with certain exceptions that will be covered in your PM.
The roles are all assigned randomly (names out of a hat) so please do not beg to play a certain role…

a) If you are a citizen you will not know who anyone else is – you have to figure that out yourselves.
b) If you are a citizen with a special official role you must not reveal what your secret task or power is (if you have one) unless prompted to do so by the Narrator (Jan)
c) If you are a killer the PM will reveal the identity of your fellow killer, so you can discuss tactics with them – please use PM or other non-posting means of doing this as most convenient for you and your team mate.

Again – please remember that you must NOT reveal your secret ID (if you have one) in your posts

3. Starting with a day phase you will all be on the lookout for a likely suspect (or if you are a killer to divert suspicion away from yourself and/or your partner). Each day all players vote for whomever they wish to accuse of being a killer.

a) You are allowed to change your vote up to THREE times during the day phase if you think you made a mistake (or wish to muddy the waters), or stick to your guns and the person you voted for.
b) Whoever gets the most votes is then arrested, taken into safe custody and can no longer play an active part in the game (you can be a Gawper then if you like, but you cannot nominate, vote or be killed anymore).
c) In the event of a tie the Narrator will determine who goes to the cells by a coin toss or other appropriate method (this cannot be appealed or challenged).
d) Players may also abstain from voting (or withdraw your last vote) but you must ensure you post your intention clearly (giving reasons/excuses as to why if you like) as this may mean you attract suspicion yourself (this is why you need to post at least once during the day phase, as no-shows have a tendency to get voted out in the next round…)

4. Once the night phase begins (after 4 to 7 days of voting speculation) no more voting can take place. All the players seemingly go home and do not post or communicate until the next day phase.
The Narrator confirms who has been arrested and will prompt players allowed to have night-time activity to PM her (within 24 – 48 hours). Nobody may post in the main thread until the next day phase.

a) the killers decide off-thread who they want to kill next and PM the Narrator with their choice. This may be a joint decision or a ‘free’ vote but both killers must PM the Narrator with their choice of victim. In the event of a free vote (no conferring) differing the Narrator’s coin toss will decide the victim.
b) Players on both sides with special powers or tasks will also be asked to PM the Narrator to state whom they wish to be the subjects of their investigation/protection etc

Once all the special role decisions and actions are over the Narrator then updates the story for the next day by revealing the next victim of the rogue killers and any other events that may have happened under the cover of darkness.

5. And so on – with everyone voting off one person during the day phase (into safe custody) and the killers selecting one more victim every night phase until we get down to either the citizens imprisoning all the killers (in which case the citizens have won) or the other way when all the citizens are dead or incarcerated – so the killers win.

Anything else that crops up - please post any queries below rather than in the game thread :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 pm

Yay! :lol: Well done for getting us started Sjoerd!

Now the ball's rolling we can I expect see what the early prime suspect has to say about this accusation and from there who he thinks is the culprit! :wink: This 1st round is pure speculation for the most part and you'll find out when it finishes and our 1st night phase starts whether the suspect with the most votes really is a killer...

I've had some queries on clues etc so here's my answers only to help you all with your accusations - or to cover yourself and your partner maybe... :twisted:

There are 2 killers to find - so 2 of the players are really Teatime and Mr. Pin 'in disguise'

I am not playing or controlling Teatime, Pin, Angua, or the Librarian - one of these characters have been given to 4 of your fellow players, but they'll be concealing their identities throughout unless they get murdered or caught and put into safe custody. They will be PMing me with their choice of victim (the killers) or the people they want to question or protect (the Watch officers) and I will divulge such information as I can about that at the end of each night phase.

About the accusation/voting process - I know this is difficult in the first day phase, but basically all the 7 of you need to do for now is read the introduction to the story and then my following post and speculate on which of you might be the killer - so you know you're innocent (even if you're not! :wink: ) and you can tell everyone you are and then just choose a random person who you want to throw suspicion on and see how they react - the more people who join in and say how innocent they are the easier it is to judge if they're hiding something - the vote will anyway eliminate one of your number from those who might have killed me - :cry: although it's likely a second victim will fall in the night phase. Or maybe not...

You can take it as read that the character info given for all the Watch and both killers are common knowledge - in the killer's cases that the Watch are looking to track down Teatime and Pin to help them with their investigation - but both have gone underground, which is why Angua will be questioning her suspects and the Librarian will be guarding his possible target during every night phase.

As people are eliminated by vote or by investigation you ought to be able to start working out who's who! :wink: :twisted:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:31 am

Guys - some things to bear in mind here

1. The assignments of the cop and killer roles has been done purely on a random basis and has nothing whatsoever to do with any of you or what's the character's are like - there's no 'canon' in this whatsoever. All the special roles have simply gone to the 1st names out of a hat... :wink:

2. Therefore before people start getting eliminated in this 1st round you won't have any sense of what you've collectively done until I tell you if your guesses hit any marks.

3. When that's done and the night phase kicks in then the more 'informed' role players will send in their selections of people to interrogate, protect or kill and when I come back with those results (the next part of the story) you may well find that the more 'noisy' or 'quiet' you've been the more likely you'll be to end up in safe custody or taking a trip to a black sandy place :twisted:

4. Although the killers do know each other now, they don't know who anyone else is - yet. So they have a slight edge which will grow as we go on... 8)
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Lady Vetinari » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:54 pm

Wish I became a proper poster now ... can't have much fun being a gawper ... I just didn't understand the rules ... I learn by observing rather than reading rules ... Ah well ... such is life!

Lady Vetinari

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:21 am

Lady Vetinari wrote:Wish I became a proper poster now ... can't have much fun being a gawper ... I just didn't understand the rules ... I learn by observing rather than reading rules ... Ah well ... such is life!

I don't. I learn by doing and making mistakes. As for rules, don't you make your own up as you go along? Such is life. :lol:
poohcarrot

PreviousNext

Return to Games