OK Guys 'n Gals and dual IDs - we're ready to roll just about and so this thread will now become our Q&A, instructions and 'What the hell do I do now?' thread
if you don't know what to do in the main game thread which I'll be opening very shortly.
Before that I'll be PMing some of you players if you've been given 'secret' roles as Watch Officers
and then play will commence on the new thread as soon as you like.
This post will be linked to the game thread because I'm putting on the instructions on gameplay in here and then anything after this is for stuff that you can't post 'in public' as it were
1. Each of the players post on the thread as ordinary citizens of Ankh-Morpork (so as yourself, sitting at your PC this very moment, reading this).
a) People who do not want to play may still join in the guessing game fun as Gawpers
– this is Ankh-Morpork after all and you have to have a good nosey, but your posts will not be taken into account as part of the game and you cannot get killed or vote for prime suspects. Just be a good rabble and have a good gossip about what’s going on – cheering or booing is welcomed…
2. 4 players will be assigned a special official role (this will be done by PM with instructions on how to play that part) – either as one of the killers or one of the Watch officers BUT you are still an ordinary citizen out in the main thread, undercover
– in other words nobody else will know who you really are with certain exceptions that will be covered in your PM.
The roles are all assigned randomly (names out of a hat) so please do not beg to play a certain role…
a) If you are a citizen
you will not know who anyone else is – you have to figure that out yourselves.
b) If you are a citizen
with a special official role you must not reveal what your secret task or power is (if you have one) unless prompted to do so by the Narrator
c) If you are a killer
the PM will reveal the identity of your fellow killer
, so you can discuss tactics with them – please use PM or other non-posting means of doing this as most convenient for you and your team mate.
Again – please remember that you must NOT reveal your secret ID (if you have one) in your posts
3. Starting with a day phase
you will all be on the lookout for a likely suspect (or if you are a killer to divert suspicion away from yourself and/or your partner). Each day all
players vote for whomever they wish to accuse of being a killer.
a) You are allowed to change your vote up to THREE times
during the day phase if you think you made a mistake (or wish to muddy the waters), or stick to your guns and the person you voted for.
b) Whoever gets the most votes is then arrested, taken into safe custody and can no longer play an active part in the game (you can be a Gawper
then if you like, but you cannot nominate, vote or be killed anymore).
c) In the event of a tie the Narrator
will determine who goes to the cells by a coin toss or other appropriate method (this cannot be appealed or challenged).
d) Players may also abstain from voting
(or withdraw your last vote) but you must ensure you post your intention clearly (giving reasons/excuses as to why if you like) as this may mean you attract suspicion yourself (this is why you need to post at least once during the day phase, as no-shows have a tendency to get voted out in the next round…)
4. Once the night phase begins (after 4 to 7 days of voting speculation) no more voting can take place.
All the players seemingly go home and do not post or communicate until the next day phase.
confirms who has been arrested and will prompt players allowed to have night-time activity to PM her (within 24 – 48 hours). Nobody may post in the main thread until the next day phase
a) the killers decide off-thread who they want to kill next and PM the Narrator
with their choice. This may be a joint decision or a ‘free’ vote but both killers must PM the Narrator
with their choice of victim. In the event of a free vote (no conferring) differing the Narrator’s
coin toss will decide the victim.
b) Players on both sides with special powers or tasks will also be asked to PM the Narrator to state whom they wish to be the subjects of their investigation/protection etc
Once all the special role decisions and actions are over the Narrator
then updates the story for the next day by revealing the next victim of the rogue killers and any other events that may have happened under the cover of darkness.
5. And so on – with everyone voting off one person during the day phase (into safe custody) and the killers selecting one more victim every night phase until we get down to either the citizens imprisoning all the killers (in which case the citizens have won) or the other way when all the citizens are dead or incarcerated – so the killers win.
Anything else that crops up - please post any queries below rather than in the game thread