New Discworld games?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

New Discworld games?

Postby Ezekiel000 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:00 pm

With the resurgence of the point and click genre any chance of new Discworld games? Does anyone actually want more games? (apart from me).

I would especially like to see a proper Night Watch discworld game that blends the world and atmosphere of the first 2 games with the note pad system of noir and the graphics level of the new Sam & Max games or Grim Fandango.

I like all the current games, but I find the high detail 2D jerky non-playable character animations a bit jarring when in the same screen as a lower detailed 3D smoothly animated Lewton.
Ezekiel000

Postby mspanners » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:12 am

A 3D adventure would be fun......... 8)
mspanners

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:16 am

What i cant understand is why his daughter hasnt done something about it.
The_Discworldaholic

Postby Jinx » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:00 pm

I think I might buy lots of copies of discworld books and send them to the folk at Bethesda(sp?) who seem to be even more passionate than most game developers(and that's saying something).
While I'm at it I might also indicate that Terry seems to be a fan of their game (Oblivion), and his daughter is experienced in their industry.

Then hope it all comes together.

*edited 'cos I missed something*
Last edited by Jinx on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jinx

Postby Ezekiel000 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:00 pm

The_Discworldaholic wrote:What i cant understand is why his daughter hasnt done something about it.

I would assume this is so that she is recognised for her own work and a good writer herself, rather than being linked to her fathers work and writing derivative works of the Discworld.
Ezekiel000

Postby chris.ph » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:33 pm

id love a halo type discworld game ,well perhaps not halo :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby andrew » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:57 pm

I'd really like to see a new Discworld video game but I can't see any likely genre that it would fit into apart from the traditional adventure or role-playing game.

Sadly, I don't think that the recent, if brief, revival in adventure gaming has been anywhere near strong enough to reestablish it as a mainstream gaming genre like it was in its heyday. The time around the release of LucasArts' Grim Fandango in 1998 is widely suggested to be the signal of the end of the adventure game's popularity and a sad confirmation of its decline.

I think that with this in mind, the idea of a new Discworld game is very unlikely; unless it has the potential within itself to bring the genre back to its former glory! I just don't think that any developer or publisher would take the risk.

Although I've really missed the days of Discworld I, Discworld II and Discworld Noir, I'd rather see no game at all than a poor reincarnation of the original games. I always loved the idea of a Dicworld Online video game, but we already have the Discworld MUD.

I really do hope that my predictions are wrong, though!

Very best wishes,

Andrew
andrew

Postby Scouse Mark&Cal » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:53 pm

World of Warcraft has a pretty sizeable user base, as does EveOnline, though the cash needed to produce an MMO set in Discworld would probably be rather prohibitive.

MMORPG cost immense amounts of money, and if the game is aimed at too small an audience the developers are simply not going to get their cash back.

As for smaller single player puzzle games, they can still cost an awful lot of money in development, and again, without a sufficiently large prospective user base they developers are in the same position.

Though the DW books are very popular, it does not follow that a new DW game would make back its investment for its developers, as computer games are simply not everybodies cup of tea.
Scouse Mark&Cal

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:55 am

Just imagine though if they did a discworld type game in the style of say Assasins creed!!!! oh that would be good :D
The_Discworldaholic

Postby chris.ph » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:37 pm

with rincewind creeping over roofs avoiding danger and excitment :lol: :wink: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Sirandilas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:41 pm

I used to play the Discworld game on the PSone and would love to see some more games especially for consoles (as I dont tend to play games on the PC anymore).

They could probably Re-Skin Fallout 3 as the Discworld
Sirandilas

Postby wolfiess » Sun May 31, 2009 1:38 am

chris.ph wrote:id love a halo type discworld game ,well perhaps not halo :lol: :lol:

could you imagine a grant theft auto type that would be fab. think im going to have to contact rockstar lol
i get enough exercise just pushing my luck
wolfiess

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 31, 2009 1:46 am

wolfiess wrote:
chris.ph wrote:id love a halo type discworld game ,well perhaps not halo :lol: :lol:

could you imagine a grant theft auto type that would be fab. think im going to have to contact rockstar lol
Grand Theft Dunny Wagon? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

new game idea

Postby triaxe » Sun May 31, 2009 1:55 am

why not have thud as a3d borud game like microsoft chess or like relics dawn of war i would love to see dwarfs hackin the knee cap off of a troll in koom vally
triaxe

Postby wolfiess » Sun May 31, 2009 9:20 pm

could you imagine a grant theft auto type that would be fab. think im going to have to contact rockstar lol[/quote]Grand Theft Dunny Wagon? :lol:[/quote]

thats to funny.
it could be based round the theives guild. more i think about it the more i think it writes its self
i get enough exercise just pushing my luck
wolfiess

Next

Return to Games