( computer) game of the year

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby bikkit » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:42 am

Assassins'* creed brotherhoood :D

* On the game it's 'Assasssin's ' But theres MORE THAN ONE FARKING ASSASSIN! GET IT RIIIIIGGGTTTT! UGH!

*rage over*

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Quatermass » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:47 am

bikkit wrote:Assassins'* creed brotherhoood :D

* On the game it's 'Assasssin's ' But theres MORE THAN ONE FARKING ASSASSIN! GET IT RIIIIIGGGTTTT! UGH!

*rage over*

A creed can be of a singular, even when referring to the plural. In other words, you could, for example, call the Hippocratean Oath the doctor's oath or the doctors' oath, either way is fine.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Quark » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:30 pm

I wanna play Team Fortress 2. Dun, dun, dun, dun, dun-dun-dun-dun-dun.

Dun-dun-dun dun dun dun-dun.

And the 2010 award for the catchiest theme goes to... Team Fortress 2! Again!
Quark

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:17 pm

Have you ever played Flif? (or Fliff) :?

One of my students was mad about it, then switched to Monster Hunter. :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby bikkit » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:27 pm

@ Quatermass

Oh.

Right.

:oops:

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Quatermass » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:07 pm

bikkit wrote:@ Quatermass

Oh.

Right.

:oops:

It's okay, it's fine.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Penfold » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:New Vegas isn't too bad, but not as brilliant as Fallout 3 :)

I have to agree with Sjoerd on this one. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Quark » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Once, in the gaming days of yore, they had a miraculous artifact, known as an expansion pack. Nay, friends, it was not DLC - nor was it a mod, or a sequel. No, these 'expansion packs' were added to existing games to increase the content - sometimes without increasing the price! Marvelous! Truly incredible!

New Vegas. If Fallout 3 had been released in the nineties, New Vegas would have been an expansion. It wouldn't have been as big, but it would have been seen as an add-on, rather than stretched out thinly to make a new game. They've used a lot of filling in New Vegas in order to turn it into a full game, when by rights it shouldn't be.
Quark

Postby Danny B » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm not really a PC gamer, too expensive keeping up with the advances in graphics and processing requirements, and besides, consoles now are close enough to gaming rig standards that the difference from PC to console version is purely cosmetics and control methods, no matter what the PC gaming fanboys will tell you. :wink:

That being said, from a console gamer's perspective my game of 2010 is a three way tie between the following games.

Red Dead Redemption
Heavy Rain
Fallout: New Vegas

The story telling in all three is exemplary, all three get their mechanics right and each one of them is a shining example of how to make a game of that particular type without peer. I've spent perhaps as much as 400 hours this year seeing what each of them has to offer and I can safely say I'll play through each of them again in the future, rather than trade them in for a discount on something new.
Carpe carpio*

* Correction - Carpio diem
Danny B

Postby Quark » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:57 pm

consoles now are close enough to gaming rig standards that the difference from PC to console version is purely cosmetics and control methods, no matter what the PC gaming fanboys will tell you.

O-kay. I am a PC gaming fanboy, and I'm afraid there are some marked differences. While it's true that what you 'see' is very similar on both systems, a lot of advances are behind the scenes - f'r instance, the inclusion of tesselation in DX11/OpenGL 4.4 is something you usually don't notice, but it fleshes out textures beautifully. You can't miss pixels that you've never had, but a console also operates on a fairly low resolution (for the kind of television you might be running it on)

But I'm not going to sit here and argue about graphics, because I really don't give a damn, and you really can't tell the difference these days because everything is brown or grey (See Gears of War/Fallout 3 for details). No, I'm going to explain some other differences.

Sometimes I do envy the simplicity of consoles. I mean, you people have an outside life. You have other things to take care of. You don't want to spend hours fixing things that shouldn't be broken. And that's why I can understand why some people get a console - because you put in the game, it works, and there is no difference from one Xbox to the next.

Now take a look at some AAA titles released on the PC. We had Dead Space - which had the controls ported so badly that you couldn't turn properly while moving. Or maybe GTA4, which steadfastly refused to acknowledge that computers were capable of holding more than 1gb of RAM. Oh yes, and I recently purchased Black Ops for my shiny new i7 computer. Result: The multiplayer game crashes on a completely random basis (but usually within the first ten minutes). This is a dual fault, firstly because manufacturers no longer care about the PC part of their distribution, and secondly because there are millions and millions of computers out there, seldom ever exactly the same. This makes compatibility a nightmare.

But we still have an upper hand in things. I don't care what console gamers say - a keyboard and mouse is the only way to play almost every genre of game - as you say, the 'control method'. The only kind I can think of that doesn't mix with PC controls is racing simulators - and let's face it, driving a car with a controller isn't easy either.
What is it with console gamers and hating mice? Please, get a proper mouse when you start denouncing it, because most standard rubbish will not do. If it came with your PC, it is not suitable. A gaming mouse can pinpoint a pixel, on a texture, on a beer bottle, on the other side of a map. A controller will struggle to hit the chap standing six feet away, or at least it would if the console didn't help you aim. Seriously, how much of the game are you actually playing here?

And then there is the independent side of things. Mods, patches, and updates. Team Fortress 2, brilliant as it is, eventually gets boring on the Xbox because Valve can only ship an update to it every few months, whereas on the PC they are adding stuff every week, most of it made by the vibrant community. Take indie titles, which are often PC-exclusive, like the delicious Minecraft. And what about mods? Without mods, you would have never gotten Counter-Strike - nor DotA, or Desert Combat. The original Team Fortress would have never existed either. Be glad that there are legions of nerds, tinkering away with software engines in their basements, because without them, who knows where you console fanboys would end up?

I understand consoles. If you have one and use it, then you have a good reason for it and that's fine. But every time a controller-wielding maniac starts calling themselves, in a nasal American drawl, a 'hardcore gamer'... I can barely stop myself laughing.

Sorry Danny, but the fanboys defend their own :wink:
Quark

Postby mspanners » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:06 pm

Not the New Medal of Honor ........ :x ............ Got it yesterday and completed it this morning! Total of about 8 Hours play on easy to complete...........looks good and plays well but not long enough.
mspanners

Postby Ash » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:41 pm

My pic for game of the year has to go to Super Mario Galaxy 2!
Ash

Postby Quark » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:52 am

A lot of modern games are annoyingly short... trying to be more like movies, I suppose :evil:
Quark

Postby Willem » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:52 pm

As of yesterday, Donkey Kong Country Returns is my fave of the year. It's got the feel of the old Super Nintendo games and it's pretty hard to boot.
Willem

Previous

Return to Games