Frances Hardinge books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Frances Hardinge books

Postby =Tamar » Sat May 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Late to the party, I know, but I finally got hold of Frances Hardinge's "Fly By Night" (2005) and am now in search of "Fly Trap" (UK title Twilight Robbery). I had already read "Well Witched" (UK title Verdigris Deep) and enjoyed it.
=Tamar

Re: Frances Hardinge books

Postby =Tamar » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:32 am

Yay! finally got "Fly Trap".
=Tamar

Postby =Tamar » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:42 am

=Tamar wrote:Yay! finally got "Fly Trap".

Read it. Another good one, albeit a bit grimmer than the first book. The situation develops; I haven't really reread with an eye to whether the main characters develop much, or just continue as they are, slightly older and very slightly wiser. So far it doesn't seem important. If they don't develop a little more in the next book or so (and it seems clear that more books are intended), then I may become more critical.
=Tamar

Postby =Tamar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:14 pm

To give a bit more detail: the main characters in the Fly By Night/Fly Trap series are a young girl named Mosca, her fearsome pet goose, and an interesting older man whose stock in trade is a fund of good stories and well-told lies. The serious difficulty in the culture is that nobody would ever use a false name, and your real name tells people which god you were born under according to your birth time, which slants what they think of you. A bad birth time dooms you in the eyes of others. There are plots and adventures aplenty. I particularly like the floating coffee-houses on the river. These middle grade books are entertaining for adults as well. I think Mosca would be a fit companion for the young Tiffany of TWFM, and she would get along quite well with Maurice.
=Tamar

Return to Children's Books