More info on a quote

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

More info on a quote

Postby V1ktor » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:48 pm

I'm writing an article and I read a quote by Terry Pratchett some time ago that I want to include in the article but I can't find information about this quote. I need to know where it's from. Is it from a book, which one; or is it something he said during an interview or in an article?

I would appreciate any information.

"It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing."

Thanks,
Viktor
V1ktor

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:53 pm

I'm sure I've read that recently. I think it's a quote from either Wee Free Men or Fifth Elephant.

Batty's usually the expert quoter, where is she?
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:05 am

I've been Googling the quote and trying to find which book it's in. A lot of people on the Internet have quoted it and accredited to Terry, but no one (that I could find) had said which book it was from.

Sorry, I haven't a clue off hand.

Welcome to the site V1ktor. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby bikkit » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:04 am

Err... I saw something that Rincewind thinks when thinking about boredom a bit like that. Sorry. I probably havn't been much help.

Can someone find a quote about how Ankh-Morpork was founded? I can't find it!

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Batty » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:10 pm

I've been trawling through the books and I can't find that quote, V1ktor.
I haven't got all of the books pertaining to Discworld though. For instance, I haven't purchased the science books or the diaries etc., but I'm beginning to believe that it was something that Terry spoke in an interview or at a function, or something - in which case you may not find the original source.

If anyone does find the answer, then I will be interested to know where the quote came from.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:14 pm

You could check "The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld" which has favourite Quotations from the Discworld Universe.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Omnia » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:11 pm

I'm pretty sure that is something that Vimes has said, so I'm guessing it's from a Watch book. Couldn't tell you which one though :oops:
Doth not a penny to the widow outshine the unconquered sun

AKA g'nomi :-)
Omnia

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:14 pm

My first guess is Tiffany in a sulk, my second guess is Vimes.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Batty » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:38 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:You could check "The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld" which has favourite Quotations from the Discworld Universe.

I have done. Every single page ... Image
Have you ever tried to quickly read a book, when you keep laughing at all the quotes? Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:21 pm

Batty,did you find it :?: . where are you finding those emo's they are great. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Stultus Saxum » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:38 am

WeeKelda wrote:Can someone find a quote about how Ankh-Morpork was founded? I can't find it!

Can't find a quote, but I think it was founded by twins raised by a Hippo.

When I say 'it', at one point in Guards! Guards! (early on in the book) there is a reference to the twin cities of Ankh and Mopork. I'm sure there are other references elsewhere, but can't remember where.

Other (wiser) of those here present might be better placed to help.
Stultus Saxum

Postby cols » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:38 am

I went through the Wit and Wisdom of discworld twice and I can't find it :( also checked some sites with quotes from each book still can't source it but it is listed on loads of sites as a favourite TP quote.
cols

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:14 am

Perhaps it would be in Men at Arms then? All sorts of things on the history of A-M in there isn't there? Though it's only Nobby who stands out of course :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Batty » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:09 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Batty,did you find it :?: . where are you finding those emo's they are great. :lol:

Dug. Try downloading from Free Smilies.org. You might spend a long time going through all the choices though!
Batty

Postby Batty » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:20 pm

As I haven't been able to find the source of this oft repeated quote, I took the liberty of e-mailing Colin Smythe, who very kindly checked on his database for me.

He wasn't able to find the quote on his database at all, although he admitted that in spite of the fact that he has all the Discworld novels on file, that there are some of the YA he doesn't have, nor the three pre-Discworld novels.

Colin's kindness at (not only) humouring me, but actually taking the time to check his database has totally blown me away. If Colin doesn't think that it is a Prattetism, then I'm inclined to believe him!
Batty

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett