2014 DWcon Manchester - The Grand Exhibition!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: 2014 DWcon Manchester - The Grand Exhibition!

Postby Catch-up » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:56 pm

I was so excited to get that email! :D And so glad to read your post Jan, because I thought we wouldn't have the option to sit with friends. Is it obvious where to put it on the form? I'll be doing the online one. I'm assuming you put in the name and badge number of the people you want to sit with? I'm debating on whether or not to try for a guest table.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:32 pm

When I had a look at the me an you listing I was not impressed with it goats cheese Image eeeyuch that stuff makes me heave disgusting taste, mackerel I like, but cheese & vegetable strudel with crisps for a main they're having a laugh, don't think I'll bother
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Molokov » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:55 pm

I'm not sure how the menu is "not great for vegetarians"? They've got two vegetarian entree options and one main (and all desserts). I've been to many many functions where vegetarians don't get any choice at all, nor is there anything listed on the set menu for them either - they have to tell the caterers/organisers in advance, and then hope that whatever's served up is a) decent and b) something they like.

I think the hotel & concom have done a great job with the vegetarian options for this menu. Quite often I would choose the vegetarian meal because the meat options aren't possible for me (I can't eat pig or shellfish), but for this Gala dinner I'm quite happy with what's presented, so I'll go for the chicken main course :D
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:05 am

I yet to find a better Discworldcon menu than the 2009 NADWCon it was a delicious well thought out selection, the majority of hotels in the UK seem to think oh veggies how cheap can we make it, I know as I've been to many Cons over the years even before I went to the 1st one in Manchester 86 even PTerry made a joke about the food then , they may be different in Aus. Concom can be led by holtel chefs with a sharp intake of breath, as we are very much in the minority therefore I disagree with your opinion.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:05 am

Vegetarian is as vegetarian does - at the last 2 UK cons they had very uninspired choices for the main but had fish or poultry for one of the mains (which some veggies will go for). This time around with pork belly there's not much wriggle room but at least it's chicken - I agree the strudel's not sounding brilliant.

Gods know how vegans get on at these types of gala but at least with DWcons there's always decent entertainment going on all through the posh dinner :D

Suzanne - they usually have a space on the online order form (as with the printed option they're doing this time around for technophobes) for you to say who you'd like to be sit with - last time we nearly got a whole table of boardies together and had a great time :lol: They let you update the 'order' online as well so no need to get too organised beforehand unless you're doing the booking by snail mail ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Catch-up » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:02 pm

So I can change my menu selection after ordering my tickets, or do you mean I can go back in and add people to sit with?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:27 pm

Both/either I think - certainly we did the table mates things afterwards last year ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Frankly the menu looks a rip off for £45 so I'll go for Mitch Benn which is by far the best value as he is hilarious and free :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Catch-up » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:53 am

Booked my Gala dinner ticket! :D I was too short on time to organize sit-withs, so I'm hoping I can add them later.
Catch-up

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:44 pm

Pretty sure you can Catch-up :D I opted out of sitting with a guest - it didn't say how they do that so I expect you can't specify and it'll be done by lottery like the Klatches... Much as I love Bernard I think I couldn't laugh and eat at the same times without ill effect if we got on his table :shifty: :shock:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Catch-up » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:47 am

I think you're right. You can ask to sit with a guest but you don't know until that night if you've gotten a guest table or who it's with. I did request a guest table but don't really care where I end up. Well, actually, this probably sounds odd, but the only place I hope I don't end up is at Terry's table. I would be all shy and tongue tied and it would be hard to eat. :shifty:
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Terry is a really nice guy Suzanne, you would soon find yourself chatting to him if you were on his table :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:04 pm

You did meet him at the 2009 NADCWCon didn't you Susanne. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:57 am

Catch-up wrote:I think you're right. You can ask to sit with a guest but you don't know until that night if you've gotten a guest table or who it's with. I did request a guest table but don't really care where I end up. Well, actually, this probably sounds odd, but the only place I hope I don't end up is at Terry's table. I would be all shy and tongue tied and it would be hard to eat. :shifty:

It's very hard to be tongue tied and shy around Terry (I thought I would be too, before I met him) as he is such a nice, chatty guy who can put you at your ease very quickly. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby shivers » Thu May 01, 2014 12:30 pm

I was tongue tied one of the first times I encountered him (I wasn't prepared! I was trying to get to Jack Cohen to finish a chat and then suddenly, there was the man himself!) - I had the cringeworthy pleasure of addressing him as 'Mr Sir Terry Pratchett Sir' :oops: before promptly ducking away. The next few times I figured I couldn't do any worse than that and have been absolutely fine chatting to him since.

Not going to gala dinner it this year, I usually end up running between the games and toast and jam on Sunday nights.
Irish Discworld Convention 2015 - 2nd-5th October 2015, Cork International Airport Hotel
News and updates here: http://www.idwcon.org
shivers

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett