Much as I love Terry & Discworld...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Much as I love Terry & Discworld...

Postby Molokov » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Selkie wrote:I don't think he has sold out. Certainly, when you look at all the Harry Potter tat that's around, the Discworld stuff is exceptional.

Ooh, we need a Discworld theme park! With a real Shades where you can get mugged on every corner!
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:49 pm

raisindot wrote:
Molokov wrote:
raisindot wrote:You do know that an author has kind of jumped that commercial literary shark when you start seeing apostrophes being added, as in, "Terry Pratchett's Discworld" or "Frank Herbert's Dune" over the title of some lousy sequel or spin off created by someone else.

So you mean all those playscripts that say "Terry Pratchett's <foo> adapted for the stage by Stephen Briggs" are indications of said shark being jumped?

No, because in that situation Briggs is adapting an existing piece of Pterry's work for a different medium. Whereas, something with the header of "Terry Pratchett's Discworld" over a title such as "CMOT's Dibbler's Seven Habits of Barely Successful Businesspeople by Joe Smith and Mitt Twit" is what I'm talking out. The thing itself may be quite good, but Pterry may have nothing at all to do with the work itself other than whoring out the license.

A bit like this piece of .... Terry Pratchett: The Spirit of Fantasy by Craig Cabell
Image :twisted:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:08 am

They are still trying to sell that in The Works. It annoys the hell out of me because every time I walk past, my eye catches the picture and the "Terry Pratchett" and it looks as if Terry has written it. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby KingCarrot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:55 am

I have only got the discworld books (still a few more to get) and I was considering buying the map - think it would help me get "into" the story if I could picture the locations etc. Is it worth it?
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:07 am

I've got the Maps - well apart from Death's Domain - and generally I like maps, but I don't think they really add to the enjoyment of the books. I'd suggest getting something like The New Discworld Companion as it is chock full of all sorts of information about the Discworld, the books and has maps in it as well. The one I've suggested here is a little out of date now. There is a new book called The Turtle Moves, which is an updated version of the companion, but I wouldn't be without my Companion, which gets a lot of use and therefore is a little dogeared. I'm not sure I'd want to treat a brand new hardcover like that. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby KingCarrot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks, I will take a look =)
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Molokov wrote:
Selkie wrote:I don't think he has sold out. Certainly, when you look at all the Harry Potter tat that's around, the Discworld stuff is exceptional.

Ooh, we need a Discworld theme park! With a real Shades where you can get mugged on every corner!

Actually... at the Aug Con when they talking about Narrativia and The Watch they mentioned that they would be building a permanent Ankh-Morpork set in the UK and visitor attractions were also kind of 'out there' :shifty: :P Maybe it's just a question of time :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby KingCarrot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Do you reckon you can buy property there? lol
KingCarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Probably not - but you never know :lol:

Actually Terry and Rob took in a tour of the permanent landscaped Hobbiton set in NZ when they were out in Australia last and were full of it on Twitter so that might just have fed into their conceptual planning for The Watch :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby =Tamar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:51 am

KingCarrot wrote:I have only got the discworld books (still a few more to get) and I was considering buying the map - think it would help me get "into" the story if I could picture the locations etc. Is it worth it?

The maps are fun, and there are little treats in the descriptions, but they are like random candies versus the full banquet of a novel. Yes, I have the maps and I'm hoping to get the new map someday. I'm not as much a completist as the Mad Collector but I do have a lot of stuff.
=Tamar

Postby =Tamar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:53 am

Molokov wrote:

It's made to order for those tickets you buy to get on rides...you'd have to buy your "Thieves Guild Fee Paid" ticket.
The more adventurous would get (gently) mugged in order to get the coveted "Mugged This Year Receipt."
=Tamar

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:29 pm

I don't think anyone on this forum can match Mad for that, except for a couple of people on the cunning Artificer's forum. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:55 pm

You shouldn't say things like that Dug, Mad might just take it as a challenge! ;) :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Penners they are just as mad as Mad is. :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:22 pm

I try to get everything but using amazon is annoying so I never have and never will. I also don't have the money to get everything, specifically, the diaries. I like collecting the odd emporium product if it's a relevant buy, earings for example are not something i'd buy, a mini protractor however is pretty awesome to have as a little charm and whatnot. what I really like is the death ring and i think it would be awesome if they made more of them (like a sam vimes ring or death of rats ring). I am curious as to whether anyone knows when a new calendar is released. Oh one last thing, if Terry IS taking us for all we have, thats just fine by me :lol:
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett