Discworld QI at 2012 Convention IS a 'Goer'!!!!!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Discworld QI at 2012 Convention IS a 'Goer'!!!!!

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:57 pm

I've tried to find where we were discussing this last year but gave up :shifty:

Anyway :twisted: I've heard from Eelco the Head Monk of Cool who's in charge of organising events at the Con and this is what he has to say about our suggestion that we have a Discworld panel show of QI... :dance:

8-) wrote:The QI session. Great idea, etc. Only, we never cam back on the who should present it and who should be on the forum. Now, I will still have to see if we can get one or more guests, but since I understood that the idea has been extensively discussed at the forum, is there anyone you recommend I contact about this? I have a few people in mind myself, but if there are other people you think are good choices, or if you can point me to specific postings on the forum, that would be great!

Now it was one of those off the cuff moments and we never really took it anywhere beyond saying how spiffy it would be (possibly in the Card School thread) so I'm directing Eelco to this thread now so we can mull it over some more.

Please do feel free to make suggestions on how to 'Discify' QI and any other brainwaves on who could be panellists - suitable topics/questions - guests - or even volunteer to help if you're going to be there? :clap:
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Re: Discworld QI at 2012 Convention a 'Goer'...?

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:15 am

I thought the only goer at the Cons was you!

[ runs ]
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby meerkat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Deviant for Discworld. It can include all sort of trivia and we'll be in keeping with the QI theme of interesting not necessarily correct! :D ;)
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Have you tried contacting Stephen Fry? ;) Maybe he's willing to host the DW version too :lol:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:18 pm

You want to stump up for his extortionate fee? :D
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:26 pm

I'm willing to contribute up to 5 euro :P
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby michelanCello » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:47 pm

OK, then I'll add 5 Ft :lol:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Five feet?

Bouncy Castle

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:16 pm

forint :roll:
5 forint is about 0,01 euro :P
Sjoerd3000

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Hang on we don't want to over pay him. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Wow - so if everyone chips in 0.01 Euros we can pay the National Treasure 9.53 Euros. :shock: Well it'll just about get him a pint at the bar but if he wants a packet of crisps we may have to have another whip round... :teasing-whipyellow:

OK - assume we have to make do and mend so who are know-it-all fans on Discworldly matters who don't mind getting up and making fools of themselves and could 'do a Fry' compere gig or the Alan Davis 'thicko' spot, then we need 3 more people, some of whom could be guests (I'm thinking 'joiners in' like Rob or Bernard perhaps)? :doh:

I'm gonna post over on the CA's forum and see if we can get more heads who'll be at the Convention in on this... :ugeek:

Bouncy - Image :snooty:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:27 pm

*Watches dustbunnies hopping all over...* :roll:

Hokay - have been and planted the idea on the Cunning Artificer's forum and the usual suspects have been nominated (Pat Harkin and Chris Boote) and Chris has posted interest in being either of Ankh-Morpork's Fry or Davis types :P

That's the low budget option and quiz formatting angles kind of covered as Chris has done adaptations like Unseen University Challenge before and I guess the committee could hornswaggle 3 of the convention guests to do the honours OR run it as several fun quiz sessions using volunteer fan teams perhaps?

However - if they have more of a budget or willingness to lure some cheapish or fame-hungry celebrity into the mix who would you like to see in a glitzier QI X showcase in guesty glory or in some Disc-ish character disguise

Here's the Con official guest list for some inspiration but I suppose maybe look at some of the actors from the TV films as well?

Colin Smythe
Ian Stewart
Jack Cohen
Rob Wilkins
Lionel Fanthorpe
Patricia Fanthorpe
Stephen Baxter
Bernard Pearson
Jacqueline Simpson
Stephen Briggs
Ian Mitchell

Or just come at it from left field and suggest actual Discworld folk you'd like to see in a QI rip-off romp?

Let's say Moist (killhimkillhimkillhimkillhim...) would make a great smartass compere with perhaps Rincewind in the 'dopey Alan' corner partnered by Twoflower up against Vetinari and Vimes?
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm affraid I can't add much to the topic, having never watched an episode of QI, but I'm following it with interest ;)
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:53 pm

Ooooo no mC! :romance-ballandchain: Have to get you up to speed then

Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen might be fun on a Discworld QI panel.

Maybe Stephen Briggs could take Stephen Fry's role? since he has the right first name :P

If you're going with actual Discworld characters perhaps Vetinari could be the host?

Or perhaps official guests can compete against fan teams?
Sjoerd3000

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett