Living With Alzheimer's BBC2 Documentary

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Thank you Terry

Postby jwbenn78 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:21 am

Have just watched part one of Terry's Living with Alzheimers documentary- was very touched.
I am a 30yr old hopeful writer and sent Terry a letter around 15yrs ago asking how to be a successful author and if we would ever hear of Rincewind again? (before Interesting Times was published!).
I received a very nice reply telling me that there was no set formula to writing, and that you 'just have to work at it every day', words that I pass on to my children as much as possible.
So thanks again Terry for those inspiring words and best wishes for the future.
jwbenn78

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:07 am

And welcome to you jwbenn78! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Re: Living With Alzheimer's BBC2 Documentary

Postby rustynutz457 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Ogg wrote:Literally just finished watching part one of this moving documentary. I'm sure I could raise many opinions but for now I'm still very much moved by Sir Terry's reading of Nation at the DW convention...I'm not afraid to admit that my emotions got the best of me. Thought provoking television at it's finest.

ps: I couldn't find another thread about this so apologies if I've missed one.

I also have just wached the documentary. There is only one thing i can say and that is what a stand up guy never let it get him down and to go and do a public reading (tear jurker) all the best Sir Terry. By the way i have never had the Pleasure of reading any of his book but i am going to start at the begining and read them all. Can wait to get back to you and tell you what i think
rustynutz457

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Welcome rustynutz457. You are in for a real treat. I sometimes wish I still had all the books to read for the first time. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby rustynutz457 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:55 pm

Nice to meet you tonyblack.Your a local im from caerphilly what a small world lol.Have you got any sugestions where to start.I just realized i have read some of his books trucker, digger and planes dam good read if i do say so myself :D
rustynutz457

Postby chris.ph » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:04 pm

blinkin heck its like the taffia on this site :lol:
welcome both :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:11 pm

rustynutz457 wrote:Nice to meet you tonyblack.Your a local im from caerphilly what a small world lol.Have you got any sugestions where to start.I just realized i have read some of his books trucker, digger and planes dam good read if i do say so myself :D
Ah yes, just up the road from me. :lol:

I'd suggest you start with Guards! Guards! the first of the City Watch books and go on to Men At Arms. They will give you a good feel for the books and you'll get to know the city of Ankh-Morpork at the same time.
Tonyblack

The documentary on BBC2

Postby Vicky » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:11 am

:o I've just finished watching the documentary on BBC2. My God! How inspirational? I've been a lover of Discworld books for many many years. I often fall asleep with the echoes of a discworld novel ringing around my imagination. I couldn't imagine my life without my dose of Pratchett to keep me company. I am passing that wisdom onto my son. We think he has a mild form of dyslexia, so he's enjoying audio books. He's presently hooked on Wintersmith and is eager for more. If Terry can pass through the generations his wonder of the written word, then that would be a gift in itself. But if he can pass on more knowledge about Alzeimers, then many thousands would be eternally grateful I know it! I applaud and admire his contributions to this mystifying condition. God bless you Terry. We're all right there beside and behind you!!! :wink:
Vicky

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:17 am

Terry's writing certainly does seem to suit a wide range of ages. Welcome to the site Vicky. :)
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:15 pm

welcome to the site vicky :lol:
give him the carpet people to read he will enjoy that. my parents spent years getting me through dyslexia now im either on here or reading(and watching the rugby) :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby silverstreak » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:08 pm

Yeah Tony saw it via your link.Something tells me that this reveiwer doesn't get Terry at all.Derogatory remarks aimed at fans and Terry
himself shows that he has no idea at all.Personality cult indeed!
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:34 am

Terry talks to Prof. Sir Michael Rawlins from NICE

Not sure if the video clip will be available to those of us outside the UK. :?
Tonyblack

Postby silverstreak » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:41 pm

Unfortunatly tony,the video only plays for a couple of seconds and then
freezes.Of course this might just mean I cannot work this damned clacks
machine thingy properly.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby bogieman » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:52 pm

works ok for me
bogieman

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:53 pm

silverstreak wrote:Unfortunatly tony,the video only plays for a couple of seconds and then
freezes.Of course this might just mean I cannot work this damned clacks
machine thingy properly.

Not sure about this, but you might have to download the BBC iPlayer. Try looking here. It does mean that you'll be able to watch a whole bunch of BBC programmes if you miss them though. :wink:
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett