choosing to die

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby mollers » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:36 pm

I just had to join this site today to show my support for Terry Pratchett in his making of the documentary, 'Choosing to Die'. I have not been so moved by a documentary for a long time, and yes I cried throughout, but not in pity or disgust, but in admiration of the bravery of all involved. My heart went out to Andrew and Peter and their families. Peter's last moments were truly heartbreaking yet I can totally empathise with the decisions taken and would fully support the same actions if I had to.

I felt so sad that these people had been denied the dignity of being able to do this in their own homes, in familiar and comforting surroundings.

Thank you Terry.
mollers

Postby unseenu » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Welcome to everyone who's joined just to post on this thread

Weirdly the first thing that got me choked up was Terry's hat in the title card,like he had died and left it behind.
unseenu

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:32 pm

I can't get it in Japan! :twisted:

It says "Not available in this area."
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby pip » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:36 pm

No enlightenment for Pooh then :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:39 pm

:(
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby mharim » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:50 pm

I think this documentary was amazing and the critism is absurd and appears to be voiced mostly by people who either didn't watch or understand it.

To the people who said it was onesided, what else did you expect? We all know that Sir Terry is pro the choice to die with dignity and at a time of your choosing.
The documentary was listed as Terry examining the reality of people who have chosen to travel to dignitas, not as a discussion.

I think Mr Smedly was very brave, as was his wife in letting us see this most private of moments.
Terry was also very brave as he was sitting across the room from what might be his own future.

The law in this country makes no sense. We can abort children who would be born with a disabilty, or that we just don't want, we can starve someone in a persistant vegatative state to death, we can choose not to have ourselves or a relative resusitated.
BUT for some reason we can't let a perfectly lucid adult decide to slip away, in their own home(if own laws were like switzerland) before life becomes unbearable.
mharim

Terry dont miss the best bit mate

Postby Northern Man In The Pub » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Don't miss the best bit mate, it's only one side of your brain that your loosing.Slowly shuting down is one hell of a ride may be a weird chemical reaction in the brain may be more , amazing shifts in concept of time , bright lights , tunnels , other worlds . The same story a thousand different cultures .you carnt think your way out of this one it's feeling only I'm afraid
Northern Man In The Pub

Postby Cool Middle Name » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:14 pm

archerinwood wrote:Look at all these new members :shock: ! Welcome to you all. I watched it and for those who don't know I am 14. I didn't cry (the result of trying very hard not to admittedly). I fully support people's right to choose too. Very good documentary.

I'm fifteen years old, and have been thinking about death much recently without seeing this. This documentary will be on my mind for a long time.

I remember the controversy after it was announced about showing assisted suicide on TV and supporting it. Now I consider how much of an insult it was to those who died to campaign against the show.

Assisted suicide, I have mixed thoughts on it. I don't support euthanasia on pets, because it's often overused and you can't exactly ask them. With humans, you need their permission and they make the choice. But people are able to choose death by incentive of loss of passion for life. I do not personally agree on that, because that's what drives people to physical suicide on a whim. People change their mind eventually, people move on. I'd be quite upset if any of my relatives chose death for that - my own mother got close to overdosing on antidepressants, and probably would have done were my sister not there.
On the other hand, it's a positive alternative to jumping in front of a train.

With Terry, I love his books and can't wait to finish my currently meagre collection. It would be fantastic for more books to be released and his legendary literary skills to carry forward, but it is his own choice to pass on, should he choose to do so.
If he does, this site will become a sort of memorial. I will salute at his funeral.

It's strange, because when he dies, he won't be remembered as a knight. He'll be remembered as Terry, that guy who writes those fantastic books.
And maybe that's a good thing.
Veni... Vici... Vetinari!
Cool Middle Name

Choosing to die

Postby Saddoking » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:15 pm

The program was heart felt and uneasy to watch. I believe what he did to show us what people go through and the choices they have to make. My opinion is as follows:
I don't agree with suicide as my religion is against it but I understand that they have the choice and therefor they should be allowed as long as they are in a sound manner of mind.
Watching the gentleman die was something that upset me gravely though understandable that he'd going through life with such a horrible disease.
People should have the right on there life if they wish to die and I believe those that choice to die should be allowed to do it in there own home with all there family around .
God bless those that left us in the program and there families
Saddoking

Postby headology » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:45 am

DocWerx wrote:Thank you for making this programme. Eloquent, thought (and I hope debate) provoking and moving.

Yes Thanks Terry for making this. It's personal for you, and also poignant for all of us cos we all die. As a nurse who has been present at many deaths, both peaceful and violent/traumatic, and who nursed my partner through terminal cancer two years ago I believe in the goal of a "good death". I want one myself, and I wish it for all those I love. I wish it for you Terry when your time comes.

A "good death" is one that is peaceful, pain free, totally lucid, gives one the chance to say what you want to say before dying, and to die surrounded by those you care for.

This programme was very moving and hard to watch at times. I felt very moved by the courage and honesty and the love, respect and care I saw.

I hope that soon British people will be able to choose to be helped in this way in their own homes.

I also hope for a long, happy , curious, productive life for Terry.
Headology
long live good witching
headology

Re:

Postby Jeronim » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:44 pm

high eight wrote:Christ, that was hard to watch. For all kinds of reasons.

I wouldn't do it myself - but then I'm not terminally ill. At the moment. Things may (almost certainly will, given my genetics) change as I get older and I have seen enough people die slowly and in pain not to want to do it myself, so.....

We put down our pets when they are old and ill - why not ourselves?

Thanks, Terry for yet another well-argued piece in favour of humanity.

And thanks to the late Peter Smedley ("a truly brave man", as Terry said) for allowing his last moments to be filmed for the programme.

I watched it few days ago... I agree with you that Mr. Smedley was a great man.
Jeronim

Re: BBC film

Postby Jeronim » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Alex517135 wrote:One of the best made documentaries that I have ever watched. The bravery of Peter ( and Andrew) was stunning. We treat our pets better than we do ourselves. Sir Terry showed courage in filming and keeping a balanced view point. Thank you and I hope this is the start for change that will give people in very painful situation the respect they deserve.

I'm not surprised that anybody can be frightened if diagnosed AD. I watched several movies on the theme and a great documentary from Paul Watson Malcolm and Barbara. Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4eXJi50EMI
Jeronim

Re: choosing to die

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:58 am

Got to see this last night. Incredibly emotive.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:11 pm

From Twitter:

Terry Pratchett ‏@terryandrob

Blimey! Choosing to Die is nominated for an International Emmy for best documentary. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19884012
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:30 pm

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/ ... 22/photo/1

Choosing to Die wins Best Documentary at the International Emmys.

:clap:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett