BBC Film to show TP watch man commit suicide

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Broadcast is scheduled for BBC2 on 11th June 2011. Thanks Terry some cheery viewing there for my birthday :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby janet » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:16 pm

Have made several attempts but hate to admit....there is just no answer to your birthday dilemma MC. Timing is everything and sometimes it's just c**p :shock:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:47 pm

It turns out that the announced date of 11th June is the premiere rather than a broadcast date. It will be shown at the Library Theatre in Sheffield at 10am and there will be a Q&A session with Terry afterwards.

Tickets available via this site
http://www.showroomworkstation.org.uk/terrypratchett

It will also be shown at the North American convention again with Terry doing a Q&A session afterwards.
http://nadwcon.livejournal.com/38473.html

Broadcast date on BBC2 here in the UK is the somewhat vague 'in the summer'

The Mad Collector

Postby TheTurtleMoves » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Just had this date through from the DWM

"Terry Pratchett : Choosing to Die" will be broadcast on Monday June
13th at 9pm on BBC2.
"We're on a mission from Glod"
TheTurtleMoves

Postby DaveC » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Saw the trailer for the first time. Looks spooky like if's taking over Fortean TV. Not sure if I'll watch it, looks scary.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby author3 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Definitely not going to watch it
I mean I was crying at the end of Living with Alziemers so no way am I watching this :cry:
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Penfold » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:00 am

I read this in my morning paper about the program.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/tv/2011/ ... -23184586/

I'm not too sure about the phrasing of the second paragraph,
"A seriously ill man in his 70s will be filmed drinking poisonous liquid before collapsing on a sofa in an assisted suicide."
which seems to smack of sensationalist (and ill-informed) journalism to me? :?

By the way, I probably won't be watching the program since they would only be preaching to the converted in my case.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby DaveC » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:02 pm

The big man is on the front of the Radio Times this week and there are three articles inside concerning the programme, one rather lengthy.

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Any of them actually by Terry?

The Mad Collector

Postby DaveC » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:02 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:Any of them actually by Terry?
The main one incorporates a lengthy interview.

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:30 am

OK, I'll check it out, thanks Dave

The Mad Collector

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:25 pm

:oops: Timing with this upcoming programme has also been echoed somewhat in soapland with the assisted 'suicide' storyline (and I use that word rather than death because of the dramatised approach to it on the side of the people helping it happen) on Emmerdale that finally concluded very messily last night... :roll: Did anyone else see it? :cry:

I thought the actual storyline was aproached honestly if patchily in performance by the actors in that the 'journey' has taken around 6 months to unfold from the accident that rendered good gay Jackson a fit young self-employed builder tetraplegic and unable to move or feel from the neck down reasonably gritty and surprisingly sensitive in places (am so glad Eastenders didn't do this :roll: ) to the scenes last night where we didn't exactly see him 'die' but did see his boyfriend Aaron fumblingly get the liquid drugs into Jackson after his mum Hazel (a magnificently snotty snivelling Pauline Quirke) fell at the last fence and bottled out of giving her son his life-ending drink. Next thing after seeing Jackson chugging the drink down from Aaron's shaky hands, we see Aaron belting out of the house in horror and heading for the fields to throw up and then a cut back to the house for the final shot of Jackson's face looking like he's asleep and looking really quite well and calm, apparently asleep next to his mum now composed if tear-stained face on the pillows together.

Like I said - quite ham-fisted in execution, but strangely touching with Jackson thanking them for helping him 'do it' and then in a bare whisper begging his mother to give him the drink and a for once gentle Aaron taking it away from her and helping Jackson to drink from the glass after he'd managed to choke on the straw he'd been using for his drinks since the accident. All high drama, but with a very human, believable touch made all the more sad because they were having to do this all on their own without the support that will be given by Dignitas in Terry's documentary. Very interested to see what the Mirror's reviews of this soap-drama scene will be in comparison to the silly account linked to this thread yesterday. Hats off and doffed very sincerely to the actors involved in that storyline, especially to Pauline Quirke who's visiblly 'shrunk' and aged on screen in these few weeks as the enormity of what her screen son was asking of her and his lover and how her character has had to accept that her son was deadly serious in wanting to die and come to terms with her own complicity in loving him enough to do as he wished (and asked of her) and spare him a hell on earth that he could not accept. The storyline hasn't outraged me in the slightest and has covered all the bases of moral objections and vindications, except that I wanted to write to the show to ask why they weren't trying to show the Dignitas route - but of course that would mean they would of course forego the staged legal fallout and consequent coroner's investigation that's in store from the family going it alone - that's soap life after all. :roll:

Will be interesting to see that legal side all gone into in the next episodes and how Aaron and Hazel will be dealt with by the police and court service - Jackson prepared videos on his laptop exonerating them of 'killing' him and making it clear it was all his idea and that they only helped him out of love and responsibility :shock:
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:04 pm

I noticed that Sir Terry is on the front cover of the Radio Times this week.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:12 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I noticed that Sir Terry is on the front cover of the Radio Times this week.

DaveC wrote:The big man is on the front of the Radio Times this week and there are three articles inside concerning the programme, one rather lengthy.

:D

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:16 pm

Sorry Dave, I totally missed your previous post. :oops: :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett