Terry on The Sky At Night

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Night Sky

Postby Daniel.Roscoe@gmail.com » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Neat - I didn't know Sir Pterry was a star gazer - should have I guess. Orion once helped me find my way through Swansee... I'm from the prairies and am NOT used to navigating on land where some bloody idiot has dumped a hill or valley in your way and the roads don't run straight. I tried to walk back to the B&B one night and got lost because the roads kept turning off to go around obstacles. Then I realized if I just kept Orion on me left I'd hit the shore and be able to figure out where I was and where the B&B was. It even worked.

I have a crazy brother in Noth Bay Ontario who will haul a toboggon with 30 kilos of cameras and tripods and telescopes 2 miles out into the middle of the bay, in the middle of a Canadian winter night, (well he waits for the warm ones, only -20C with no wind) just to get the good viewing conditions away from the city lights.

Here's his club's URL -
http://www.gateway-to-the-universe.org/ ... chure.html

And - BTW - we call it "The Big Dipper" - but that asterism is only part of a larger one called the Great Bear. Likewise the pole star is one star in a asterism called the Little Bear ...
What ??
Daniel.Roscoe@gmail.com

Postby deldaisy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:39 pm

Willem wrote:In the Netherlands we either call it 'de Grote beer' (dutch translation of Ursa Major) or 'het steelpannetje' meaning something like 'the longhandled cooking pan'. It looks more like that last one... you'd think those cavemen who first thought up the name would have seen that too!

THUD! *Sound of stone gavel on stone*

"Right then chaps! Seconded and carried that the lovely arrangement of seven stars Crud saw last night be called Ursa MAJOR.... NOT to be confused with Ursa MINOR... and... now hang on Crud! DO sit down! .. No! We are NOT calling it "Fing Wot Looks Like A Big Stick Wiv A Rock Onit". We have told you a thousand times. No! ... No.. it doesn't count even if you "discovered it". It is NOTHING personal I can assure you of that. Now can we all get back to the business at hand..... Fire? I believe you have some momentus news for us?"
deldaisy

Postby DaveC » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Just watched it, mainly skipped to the section that Pterry was in. :D

You can hardly undersstand what Patrick Moore is saying, I know he's 88, but it doesn't make for a very good interview/presentation if you can't understand the questions being asked. :?

He is a legend, though. :D
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:43 pm

DaveC wrote:Just watched it, mainly skipped to the section that Pterry was in. :D

You can hardly undersstand what Patrick Moore is saying, I know he's 88, but it doesn't make for a very good interview/presentation if you can't understand the questions being asked. :?

I used the subtitles. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:54 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
DaveC wrote:Just watched it, mainly skipped to the section that Pterry was in. :D

I used the subtitles. :wink:

:lol: Didn't think of that!

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby deldaisy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Can't watch it :(
deldaisy

Postby DaveC » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:08 pm

You didn't miss much, he talks for 10seconds about Orion and then we see him wish Patrick Moore Happy Birthday. :roll:

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Youtube del :?:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby deldaisy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Hey Roscoe... you are the spitting image of a shock jock here in Australia.. Kyle Sandilands. Hes on a heap of TV shows too as a judge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Sandilands

Kyle Sandilands Picture
deldaisy

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:27 pm

He was a RAF navigator in the war and was in a plane crash which smashed all his teeth out. They were rather hurriedly replaced at the time and over the years this bad dental work along with his increasing age and infirmity has led to poor diction. Normally he is pretty good on The Sky at Night but also it is mainly filmed in his study at home where he is relaxed and seems in better control.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Previous

Return to Terry Pratchett