Terry Pratchett's Signature

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Terry Pratchett's Signature

Postby kathi1vee » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:20 am

I bought a book, "The Wee Free Men: The Beginning," which has a signature that KINDA looks like the other signatures in this topic. It also has an inked circular stamp that says "KINGDOM OF LANCRE, ADMIT ONE" with a duck in the center of the stamp. Can anyone tell me where this may have originated and how I can tell if this is really Sir Pratchett's signature?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
kathi1vee

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:53 am

Hi kathi1vee, and welcome to the site. :)

It certainly sounds genuine and the "duck stamp" was one that Terry had created and that he used at signings. The stamp sort of authenticates the signature.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:11 am

Welcome kathi1vee, as Tony says Terry used a version of this stamp for a while

One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:19 pm

Welcome to the forum kathi1vee, Terry used a variety of stamps at his signings and his signature has changed from long to short over time but he no longer signs at conventions or events now, so you had a lucky find. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby kathi1vee » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Thank you all for the information. I will never part with this book; I'm sorry to hear that he doesn't do signings any more, but I am still looking forward to seeing him at the Baltimore Con this July. :dance:
kathi1vee

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:51 pm

You can still get new signed books from PJSM Prints. http://www.paulkidby.com/ :mrgreen: I don't know if they are in the dealers room this time.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Alanz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:14 pm

I thought that was a good idea about Authors having Transfer Signatures that the Publishers could send to customers that can't afford a Signed book or make it to a signing for whatever reason, then they could transfer the signature to whichever book that they liked. :D Just a thought
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:20 pm

But that kind of defeats the object of getting your book signed. You can already get things with facsimile signatures, but they'll never be worth anything. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Alanz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:32 pm

It was just a thought for anyone who wanted a signature, I wouldn't want them to be worth anything because i wouldn't sell my collection for anything But it would be nice to get some kind of Signature in them...perhaps not.. It was only a suggestion :D
Alanz

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:49 pm

There have been instances of authors using the Long Pen, while they have been on another continent doing a signing via a video link.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Alanz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:59 pm

How does that work then Dug :?:
Alanz

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:32 pm

As far as I know they use use a digital pen on a slate of sorts, and at the other end the book is placed under another pen and as the author writes with the 1st pen it moves across the book copying the signature on to the paper, but I have never seen it done just either photo or a short vid don't think it caught on that much.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Dotsie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:32 pm

If it's anything like the result I get from the electronic signature thingy when I sign for deliveries, I'm not surprised it didn't catch on.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:36 pm

The signature photo I had seen looked quite clear, maybe it was the cost of the equipment and the set up. :confusion-shrug:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby barrie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:39 pm

I stopped getting my books signed, the silly sod kept writing little messages in them. Usually a joke or some other little quip.

I've got one somewhere without a signature that says "this book left intentionally unsigned by the author"

In fact after a year or so, I got embarrassed to ask as the queues of people with their books were getting far too long
barrie

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett