Alzheimer

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:22 pm

Welcome to the site you guys and thanks for sharing your stories. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiamat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:18 am

My team at work has, as part of our remit, to teach folks in care homes how to care for the people there with dementia, and how to understand the behaviour that seems odd to us, because we don't know the reasons behind it - like the lady who sings all the time because she hears the bells and thinks she is in a bomb shelter during the war in London...

I'd recommend anyone read any Tom Kitwood books if they are interested!
Tiamat

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:27 am

I can always remember a stay in a psychiatric hospital watching an elderly woman repeatedly trying to walk through a door that wasn't actually there.

The work that you are doing, educating carers is vital. One thing all this with Terry has done is to open a lot of people's eyes (and minds) to this awful condition.

Thanks for the info Tiamat. :)
Tonyblack

terry pratchett

Postby discworldfanxx » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:29 pm

hii

my name is abi and i am a big fan of yor books, my favourite has to be the hogfather and i think that its great that you are speaking out to the world about this horrible disease that can effect anyone of any age even though it isnt the memory that is being the effected the most there is still other things aswell like your eyes wil go funnii u wont b able to see some lettas in a word or something like that.
but please for all of us please keeping writing your amazin books or do the best that you can :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
discworldfanxx

Re: terry pratchett

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:06 pm

discworldfanxx wrote:hii

my name is abi and i am a big fan of yor books, my favourite has to be the hogfather and i think that its great that you are speaking out to the world about this horrible disease that can effect anyone of any age even though it isnt the memory that is being the effected the most there is still other things aswell like your eyes wil go funnii u wont b able to see some lettas in a word or something like that.
but please for all of us please keeping writing your amazin books or do the best that you can :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
Welcome to the site Abi. :)
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:41 pm

welcome to the nuthouse abi :lol: :wink:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Alxheimers

Postby Writeangle » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:28 pm

There is an alzheimer's drug where patients taking it scored better than they did at the start of the study. I think it is a first to wind the clock backwards.
In a smaller group of patients who continued with the trial for a further six months there was an even greater seven-point gap between those on dimebon and those on placebo.
See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7511949.stm
In Apr 2009 Pfizer and Medivation initiated a phase III trial aiming for FDA approval. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimebolin
See http://www.medivation.com/product-pipeline/dimebon for more detials
Trials with people who are already taking Aricept (isn't Terry Pratchett?) are taking place in several countries including the UK see http://www.concertstudy.com/ and may be of interest to Terry if he is not already aware.
Writeangle

Postby chris.ph » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:03 pm

welcome to the site writeangle and thanks for the info :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:06 pm

WElcome Writeangle :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi Writeangle hang about it's good here. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:12 pm

I believe he is on Aricept, but he had to fight like hell to get it. That is sad but, I am thrilled it is available for him.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:55 am

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:I believe he is on Aricept, but he had to fight like hell to get it. That is sad but, I am thrilled it is available for him.
If I remember correctly it was more a case that he could and did buy the Aricept, but he was annoyed that he didn't get it automatically as he was considered too young. The point he made was that he could afford to buy it, but most people couldn't and it should be more widely available through the NHS. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Terry has posted a link on PJSM asking for signatures on a petition for Dignity in Dying, as he is now the patron.

He has also stated that he has received a letter the other day from a very religious lady who said that Terry should consider his Alzheimer's a gift from God ...

Isn't that akin to Glen Hoddle stating that every person with a disability brought it upon themselves for sinning in a previous life? Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Lady Vetinari » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:38 pm

Batty wrote:He has also stated that he has received a letter the other day from a very religious lady who said that Terry should consider his Alzheimer's a gift from God ...

Isn't that akin to Glen Hoddle stating that every person with a disability brought it upon themselves for sinning in a previous life? Image

How on earth can that woman call herself Religous?!?!?!?
I will say this now that I am religous too - and I certainly don't call my ailments a gift from God - from the devil maybe but not from God! I believe that Life is a gift from God. Alzheimers and Senility is NOT A GIFT FROM GOD! I truly believe that no loving God wants us to suffer ... I know Terry doesn't believe in God and I know several people on here don't but I do - and yes I HAVE tried not believing and made me suicidal, depressed, lonely and miserable!
And no I don't believe in past lives either!

It's people like her that give Religion a bad name!

Soapbox over - I hope I haven't offended anyone!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Batty » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:30 pm

No offence taken! Image

When Glen Hoddle spouted his drivel - and he is really religious as well - he was sacked as England Manager and went into hiding.

Mind you, it could be a way of the woman concerned comittimg suicide by assault (Similar to 'suicide by cop')! In other words, she deliberately upsets people in the hope that someone will put her out of her misery!
Have I upset anyone now? Image Image Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett