Alzheimer

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:29 pm

welcome to the site wtmorris and i agree with dotsie they will have tried every test they can think of
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby simone » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:49 pm

chris.ph wrote:we could have a competition "whos the illest" i:lol:

At least you know what is coming (even if it's not nice) My brother's heart failed about 3 months ago and his workmates applied CPR and got him back. After extensive tests, he was sent home, and suffered from the idleness for 8 weeks. He had been back at work for about 2 weeks and sounded really well on the phone on the Saturday, but on 20 October he woke up dead.
"Any day above ground is a good one"
By the same token, every day is another one closer to dying, so USE it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
simone

Postby chris.ph » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:21 pm

i always thought he woke up dead was a welsh saying
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

vitamins and Alzheimers

Postby DaveK » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:49 am

I humbly offer this link: http://naturalhealthnews.blogspot.com/2 ... imers.html

It describes new research into Vitamin B3 and its positive benefits for people with this condition.

My best wishes to Terry Pratchett and his family.

Peace

DaveK
DaveK

Postby chris.ph » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:27 pm

welcome to the site dave
chris.ph

Postby CallMeShirley » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:05 pm

This is terrible news; not many writers are irreplacable, but Mr. Pratchett is certainly one of those. I realise this sounds a bit egoistic, but there you have it. I really came here to write some kind of fanletter, but now all the funny puns I had thought up, seems to have escaped me.

If you read this, Mr. Pratchett, please keep in mind that your unique work will stand for many generations, and much more important, will be read. Unlike, say, the works of 99% of all Nobel prize laureates or even Hans Christian Andersen, whose tales also are really written for adults, but are read only by people that gets paid to do so. And the comparison is not accidental either, which anyone that has taken the trouble of actually reading Andersen will realise.

Sorry if this sounds like an eulogy. I wish I could write something encouraging, but I'm not going to insult your courage or your intelligence.

Roger Duprat
Copenhagen
CallMeShirley

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:57 pm

CallMeShirley wrote:This is terrible news; not many writers are irreplacable, but Mr. Pratchett is certainly one of those. I realise this sounds a bit egoistic, but there you have it. I really came here to write some kind of fanletter, but now all the funny puns I had thought up, seems to have escaped me.

If you read this, Mr. Pratchett, please keep in mind that your unique work will stand for many generations, and much more important, will be read. Unlike, say, the works of 99% of all Nobel prize laureates or even Hans Christian Andersen, whose tales also are really written for adults, but are read only by people that gets paid to do so. And the comparison is not accidental either, which anyone that has taken the trouble of actually reading Andersen will realise.

Sorry if this sounds like an eulogy. I wish I could write something encouraging, but I'm not going to insult your courage or your intelligence.

Roger Duprat
Copenhagen
Well said Roger!

Terry's work is timeless in the same way that such writers as Jonathan Swift and Mark Twain are. His books will be 'enjoyed' for many, many generations to come.

Welcome to the site. I hope you'll continue to share your thoughts about Terry's writings.
Last edited by Tonyblack on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:30 pm

welcome to the site roger and well said
chris.ph

Postby cols » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:32 am

:D Welcome Roger :D and here here. Terry's books are consistently brilliant and also accessable to such a varied range of people and I think that puts him in a league with a very short list of other writers.
cols

Alzheimer links of interest to Terry?

Postby ezyung » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:59 pm

New to the forum, but long time Pratchett fan.

My dad died of cancer a year and a half ago, so I'm aware of the urge to reach for any straw of hope, and there's a lot of snake oil out there, but thought I'd post a couple of Alzheimer research links which may or may not be of interest to Terry. Still these are from BBC news so have a modicum of credibility.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7525115.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7866022.stm

Cheers for now
Ez
ezyung

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:22 pm

Welcome Ez! I wish I could say for sure that Terry would get those links, but we really don't know whether he visits this site or not. Let's hope so. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:38 pm

welcome ezyung have fun posting :lol:
chris.ph

Message of support

Postby Count Dafty » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi all,

Many years ago (1995ish) I sent a message to Terry asking him why he disnae come tae Scotland and he was gracious enough to respond and sure enough he did come up to Scotland and I had many books signed by him. (As an aside I also got Neil Gaimen to sign Good Omens that ISN'T signed by Pterry. Message read Burn this Book!) I hope I get a chance to go to a signing and get his response.

My father in law died from MRSA a couple of years ago and it saddens me that I never knew him before he was blighted by this illness. He had an excellent wit, however was not always able to show it. I could see glimmers but then they would go and this poor confused individual would appear. There are too many tragic deseases out there that demand research. It is deseases like this that demand the further research in to stem cell technology. This could be the key to helping with degenerative deseases. A way to help the body to heal.

Pterry's books have given me years of countless enjoyment. he has been gracious whenever I have met him at a signing a true gentleman. I want to pass on my heartfelt wishes in simple thanks for all the joy he has given me.

Cheers

Gordon
Never argue with idiots, people will never tell you apart!
(stolen from someone else)
Count Dafty

Bernard comments

Postby Tonedefdom » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:51 pm

I found it quite sad to see Terry's friend speaking about possibly helping terry end his life! The honesty of the whole program tonight on BBC2 was a fasanating a personal insight into this man's life. I sincerly hope that terry's climb on the ladder ahead will be as painless as possible, and that he enjoys the view from the top.
Tonedefdom

Postby rissoles » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:13 pm

I am not a "fan" mainly because I find the word ridiculous.

I am an aficionado of the books by Terry, they have brought me many hours of enjoyment and have made me laugh, often when I really needed to.

Whilst British, I live near Moscow and saw the revelation regarding "it" on the BBC website and I have to say that I was shocked. I am currently in the UK and was able to watch the program this evening and would like to say that I thought that Terry came across incredibly well.

Much respect for the bravery and attitude.

Nil Carborundum Illigitemi

rissoles

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett