2012 DW Convention ~ Cripple Mr. Onion Card School

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

How do we theme the Discworld Deck? (re-read 1st post please)

Option A ~ Regional
14%
Option B ~ Suit associated (match character to hearts etc)
3%
Option C ~ Grouped by Series
37%
Option D ~ Ranked characters (Death = Ace)
31%
Option E ~ Inclusive/Random (all 54 character cards)
9%
Option F ~ something else? Suggest something then clever clogs!
6%

Total votes : 35

Postby Batty » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:44 pm

mystmoon wrote:really sorry bikkit, but i would like Death.
So that's Death=Ace
Mort=King
Susan=Queen
Lobsang=Jack
or should I swap Lobsang and Mort? I'l do Death and Susan first anyway and then figure ot the other two

You could always have the Death of Rats as the Jack??
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:00 am

As an adept and companion of the stationery cupboard :P Lobsang's more of a King for Susan, so I'd swap him with Mort (an apprentice and short term and pretty lousy Grim Reaper) :wink:

Death of Rats would also make a good Jack... if you want more dynamism :lol:

Bikkit - Wizards or Witches? :D

I have the design template but it's late and I'm knackered so I'll post that tomorrow
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby mystmoon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:42 am

well, i'l draw both mort and death of rats as the jack, and see which comes out better
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Jane » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:42 am

Wow, the way we're arranging the sets is like both options B and C.

And it's so hard to pick a character that I think we might end up with extra character cards that allow people to mix and match to their hearts' content. :D
The rumour spread through the city like: ______.
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:05 pm

Yep - it's hard to decide who's best but if you're happy to go with several option we (well you 4 :wink: ) could carry on with this for a long time, but for starters let's get a 'core' group of face cards for each suit and go from there? :wink:

One thing that's easy are the design templates which are scaleable and I've got the one for the face/court cards for download HERE

and the actual size view

if you're happier to download with that :wink:
I'll put the back template on later (for Cheery to play with) and I'll get the revised turtle designs for the back in here tomorrow if not before :)

Bikkit darling - which suit do you want to do Wizards or Witches?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:20 am

Revised turtle and no Terry titles

Original sepia

monotone (mostly)

'antiqued'

Jan Van Quirm

Postby Batty » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:04 pm

I prefer the Original sepia, Jan - by miles! Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby mystmoon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Yes, original sepia is the best i think, and i think it will probably match our styles as well. Done some idea sketches and i think I might go with death of rats for the jack, simply because he's easier to draw, although surprisingly Lobsang has turned out to be easiest!
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Batty » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:18 pm

Batty wrote:
mystmoon wrote:really sorry bikkit, but i would like Death.
So that's Death=Ace
Mort=King
Susan=Queen
Lobsang=Jack
or should I swap Lobsang and Mort? I'l do Death and Susan first anyway and then figure ot the other two

You could always have the Death of Rats as the Jack??

mystmoon wrote:Yes, original sepia is the best i think, and i think it will probably match our styles as well. Done some idea sketches and i think I might go with death of rats for the jack, simply because he's easier to draw, although surprisingly Lobsang has turned out to be easiest!

I only suggested Death of Rats to keep the group together. Death, Mort, Susan & Death of Rats are obviously 'family', whilst I cannot see how Lobsang is part of that group.
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:32 pm

The book series option includes Thief of Time so Lobsang and Lu Tze do belong in there but Lobsang's Susan's lurve interest and immortal, unlike Lu-Tze who doesn't get so much inter-action... :wink: Time is also inexorably linked to Death of course *sage monkish nod* :lol:

There is a golden rule with any design project where you need an array of image choices (concepts/themes are different) - never do more than 3 because no one will agree too much on which is best and, more importantly, no one will choose your own fave! Always have an uneven number (above 1) too, as that tends to give more of a split and a tie-break option :roll: :lol: PMSL

I like the antiqued one now however Mystmoon's right because the original (as twiddled - you have no idea how long it took me to add the rest of the Disc onto that - my eyes were throbbing for ages afterwards! :shock: ) will fit with front designs if people are sticking to their usual styles... Yet more food for thought, but I would be more comfortable with some common factor for the pictorial side. 8)

I'll get tidied up versions of all 3 in here and a blank back template (different to the front one) later - housemate's home today so no tight deadline as he's going away for the weekend and therefore I will need a major distraction later when he's found all sorts of 'urgent' chores that need (not!) attention... :roll:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby mystmoon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:The book series option includes Thief of Time so Lobsang and Lu Tze do belong in there but Lobsang's Susan's lurve interest and immortal, unlike Lu-Tze who doesn't get so much inter-action... :wink: Time is also inexorably linked to Death of course *sage monkish nod* :lol:

it's also an excuse to draw a kung fu pose! :twisted:
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Postby raisindot » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Revised turtle and no Terry titles

Original sepia

Love this!!!!!! Perfect!

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby deldaisy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:03 pm

raisindot wrote:

Original sepia

Love this!!!!!! Perfect!

J-I-B

Me too!
*peers really closely at that thing sticking up in the middle of Discworld.. .... what IS that?* :shock:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby mystmoon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:10 pm

deldaisy wrote:
raisindot wrote:

Original sepia

Love this!!!!!! Perfect!

J-I-B

Me too!
*peers really closely at that thing sticking up in the middle of Discworld.. .... what IS that?* :shock:

Cori Celesti isn't it? The big mountain on the Hub

Jan, I may be late in doing this, as I've just had a load of rotoscoping work dumped on me and it will take me ages because it freaks me out
*shudders* i have to do 1533 of them buggers :x i may be gone some time...
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Postby raisindot » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:The book series option includes Thief of Time so Lobsang and Lu Tze do belong in there but Lobsang's Susan's lurve interest and immortal, unlike Lu-Tze who doesn't get so much inter-action... :wink: Time is also inexorably linked to Death of course *sage monkish nod

I'm not doing the artwork, so you can take my comment with the grain of salt it deserves, but I advocate Lu Tze at least being the Jack. Much as I like Lobsang, he's a one-novel character, wheras Lu Tze has an pivotal role in three books and is just about as important in manipulating "extra'-mortal" events as Susan and Death are. Then again, I don't really like Mort all that much either, since he's a pretty lame, one-book character that doesn't deserve to be elevated to "kingly" status. Thus, I might recommend, instead:

A=Death
K=Susan
Q=Lobsang (lower than D&S because both of them can exist outside time)
J=Lu Tze (the only mortal, but the one who does the fdirty work for the semi-immortals)

This way, you can have four extremely popular mover-shaker characters in the set, instead of wasting a space on losers like Mort and comedy sidekicks like the DofR, who I'd make one of the Jokers.

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett