2012 DW Convention ~ Cripple Mr. Onion Card School

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

How do we theme the Discworld Deck? (re-read 1st post please)

Option A ~ Regional
14%
Option B ~ Suit associated (match character to hearts etc)
3%
Option C ~ Grouped by Series
37%
Option D ~ Ranked characters (Death = Ace)
31%
Option E ~ Inclusive/Random (all 54 character cards)
9%
Option F ~ something else? Suggest something then clever clogs!
6%

Total votes : 35

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:11 pm

Okey doke, peeps - let's take our time with this. No pressure or deadlines and have some fun with it :wink:

Mystmoon's made a good point about keeping stylistics together at least within the suits, so I'm not married the any of back designs as they should 'fit in' with the fronts. What I've got so far is the same image with different filters that's all and it took me about half an hour to do the monotone and antiquing after I'd got a full disc made (you're stuck with the full disc though, because that took me about 4 hours rubbing, erasing, opaquing, daubing and merging layers, over an area less than 2 sq. cm - but we shall not speak of that again OK? :P ) :lol:

Be back in later on with some cheap downloaded samples of the adjusted basic trad layout for the court and number cards, so that'll be a mirrored/palindrome side designation for the card numbers and K, Q, etc - the face cards don't need this approach unless you want to play with that - I think Jane was saying she wanted to try that? Anyway - just be creative and go with your vision/favoured style for your own suit :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:07 pm

Right - mock-ups of a number and a face card using the design template :D

Goth-style skull/ace of spades from Google image search (not mine anyway) :wink:
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Verns » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:33 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Okey doke, peeps - let's take our time with this. No pressure or deadlines and have some fun with it :wink:

Mystmoon's made a good point about keeping stylistics together at least within the suits, so I'm not married the any of back designs as they should 'fit in' with the fronts. What I've got so far is the same image with different filters that's all and it took me about half an hour to do the monotone and antiquing after I'd got a full disc made (you're stuck with the full disc though, because that took me about 4 hours rubbing, erasing, opaquing, daubing and merging layers, over an area less than 2 sq. cm - but we shall not speak of that again OK? :P ) :lol:

Be back in later on with some cheap downloaded samples of the adjusted basic trad layout for the court and number cards, so that'll be a mirrored/palindrome side designation for the card numbers and K, Q, etc - the face cards don't need this approach unless you want to play with that - I think Jane was saying she wanted to try that? Anyway - just be creative and go with your vision/favoured style for your own suit :wink:

Have to speak of it again, Jan, if only to say WOW! You are the Owlswick Jenkins of this forum (and I mean that in a nice way!).

I, however, am very stupid, because although I admire all the styles you've developed for the card back, I said I liked the antique one, when actually I meant the original sepia one. Doh! :oops:

In democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism it's your count that votes.
Verns

Postby Batty » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:55 am

Jan, I love the Ace design. Well Done!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:13 am

:oops: The Ace isn't mine - :oops: sorry should have said it's a google image search file and I just wanted to plonk in a quickie to show our more original artists how their characters will look mounted up in the finalised layouts.

I'm a graphic artist so for prep work (mock-ups) it's sample images which are sometimes my own but more often something looted from image searches that get across the concept - I should prolly have found a manga skull maybe, but just couldn't bring myself to make Death look 'cute' :twisted:

And yep Verns - first back design is possibly the one that'll 'go' best with the final designs but we'll see how the main events pan out :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby mystmoon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:36 am

that's the problem i'm having, trying to decide how stylized i should make the skull (because trust me, completely realistic just looks wierd)
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby raisindot » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:50 pm

Awesome stuff as usual, Jan.

My only teensie tinie comment would be that it would nice if the corner numbers were a lot larger. As someone with piss poor vision I always have trouble reading card numbers, particularly when I play poker (and I'd love to eventually bring one of these decks to one of my poker nights).

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Mystmoon - the hood is very important I think! :wink:

Jeff - I think there'll be more room for the side numbers and suit designators and certainly on the number cards as they can be mostly grouped away from the edges at top/bottom (I used the 10 as that needs the most room of course) :P
Jan Van Quirm

Postby mystmoon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:49 pm

it's the jaw i'm having trouble with, he either looks too happy or too mean
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby pip » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:50 pm

mystmoon wrote:it's the jaw i'm having trouble with, he either looks too happy or too mean

MAKE HIM HAPPY :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby BatrickPatrick » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:08 pm

I like the top trumps idea xD
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:00 pm

BatrickPatrick wrote:I like the top trumps idea xD

Let's get the trad pack done and then we'll see where it goes :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby meerkat » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Blige me! I disappear for a bit and lo!, a super idea crops up! Brilliant stuff. Excellent as usual Jan. I like what is suggested so far and yes the hood over Death IS important.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:55 pm

Glad you like them Meerkat :wink:

Have tweaked the number symbols and done mock-ups for all 4 suits :D

Quite pleased with those :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Batty » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:38 pm

Jan, They are Excellent! Well Done!
Image Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett