Victorian Postage

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Victorian Postage

Postby Daniel.Roscoe@gmail.com » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:03 pm

I just saw an interview with Sir Prachette about going Postal in which he comments on the Victorian Post Office and it having 8 deliveries a day.

I was browsing a collection of family postcards and one that supports this statement caught my eye. London, late 1800's -
"Effie -
Just a quick note to let you know I'm still planning to come by for dinner today - will let you know by afternoon post if there are any changes in plans"

I'm from Canada - it takes 2 days for mail to cross my city. (mostly because the sorting facility is 1,200 kilometers away in Edmonton and all the mail from Winnipeg goes there to be sorted and then is sent back to Winnipeg to be delivered - go figure !!) The concept of the first note getting there in time is pretty amazing - the thought that a later note could still make it is mind staggering, and yet this was common place and at half a penny too.
What ??
Daniel.Roscoe@gmail.com

Postby chris.ph » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:55 pm

welcome to the site daniel :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby michelanCello » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Welcome from me too! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:42 pm

Welcome Daniel! :D

We usually only get one postal delivery a day in Britain now, but even during WW2 I believe there were enough deliveries a day to practically hold a conversation with someone. I don't know how accurate the supposed mail conversations are in 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' by Mary Anne Shiffer and Annie Burrows, but there are regular mail conversations going on there between people in London with several post a day.

Of course, not many people know that London has an underground rail system just for mail. And most mail boxes in the old days had two slots - one for national mail and one for local. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:55 pm

Hellooo and welcome from me too, Daniel. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:00 am

Welcome from me too, Daniel I think you will like here. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Dotsie » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:53 am

Tonyblack wrote:We usually only get one postal delivery a day in Britain now, but even during WW2 I believe there were enough deliveries a day to practically hold a conversation with someone. I don't know how accurate the supposed mail conversations are in 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' by Mary Anne Shiffer and Annie Burrows, but there are regular mail conversations going on there between people in London with several post a day.

You beat me to it Tony, this is exactly what I was thinking! When I read the book I was wondering about the back and forth, thinking it must have been a runner service or something.

Welcome to the site Daniel :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:33 am

Welcome Daniel.

The UK postal system is as bad as yours now, it would seem.

I'm still waiting for a book from Play.com which was posted to me on 8th October!!

We used to get post here at work by 9am and a second delivery around noon.

Now, we're lucky to get one delivery by mid-day.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:33 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:Welcome Daniel.

I'm still waiting for a book from Play.com which was posted to me on 8th October!!

Bouncy. Don't know why but i've found Play have gotten a lot slower this year for some reason.

Last few orders took forever.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby DaveC » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:09 pm

pip wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:Welcome Daniel.

Bouncy. Don't know why but i've found Play have gotten a lot slower this year for some reason.

Last few orders took forever.

I think I got to Play before they were famous, they were a really fast alternative to Blackstar/Sendit. They have gotten slower now, I mainly use Amazon and Ebay for stuff now.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby pip » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:12 pm

Very Victorian of you :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby DaveC » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:15 pm

pip wrote:Very Victorian of you :lol:

If you say so.. :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby pip » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:16 pm

Sorry. I'd just noticed i'd derailed the original topic so was trying to casually steer it back.

I generally fail at subtleness :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby chris.ph » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:56 pm

im renowned for my subtleness in the company i work for :lol: ive even given the md a bollocking :shock: for not wearing proper safety wear on site :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby pip » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:05 am

chris.ph wrote:im renowned for my subtleness in the company i work for :lol: ive even given the md a bollocking :shock: for not wearing proper safety wear on site :lol:

And you were right.

Had to kick my boss under the table at a meeting cos he was being an idiot. :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett