North American Discworld Convention 2009

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:In that case, IF you are renting a car... DO NOT DRIVE OVER RUNNING WATER ON THE ROAD!! In Arizona and other desert type places it is far too dangerous and you will probably be swept away.

If you do get swept away and have to be rescued by young hunky firemen in helicopters, be sure to get video so we can all have a good laugh, snigger, giggle or outright guffaw.
They have a law in Arizona called (I kid you not) "The Stupid Motorist Law" that says if you drive into an area that says "Do not enter during floods" then you'll have to pay to get yourself rescued and be fined.

But it's sound advice - one year Sharlene say a city bus being washed sideways by a flash flood. :shock:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:34 am

Well it is certainly very hot here I drunk enough water to fill a bath. :lol: I'm having a good time ,even had some Kilt Lifter beer a version of Scotish heavy it's quite good,might bring some back as the do it in bottles as well as draugh. :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:49 am

And the good news is it looks like I will be going to the Banquet after all and NO my middle name is not Cinderella. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:10 am

Have a great time Dug and anyone else who's going. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Beth » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:26 am

Oh it all sounds great except it's true about the flooding and the stupid motorists. Every time it floods in Houston some idiot drives through it despite other idiots having been swept away in the past.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
Beth

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:29 am

Beth wrote:Oh it all sounds great except it's true about the flooding and the stupid motorists. Every time it floods in Houston some idiot drives through it despite other idiots having been swept away in the past.
The first time I went to Tucson my flight got delayed due to torrential rain at Houston and I ended up having to spend the night there. Thankfully the airline provided me with a hotel and meal vouchers. But that was REAL rain! :shock:
Tonyblack

Postby Beth » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:12 am

Oh honey....we know how to rain in Houston. Last September I went home for my daughter's wedding and hurricane Ike hit. I spent five days in a dark hotel with my mom. Mine was the last flight into Houston before Ike and I just had time to pick up my car and get over to get my mom out of her apartment so she wouldn't be alone. The inn we'd rented out for Sarah's wedding got power back only two days before the wedding. What a mess.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
Beth

Postby Catch-up » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Exp. Date, the rat wrote:
Catch-up wrote:
Exp. Date, the rat wrote:If you want you can use my computer to Sykpe if you miss the kids too much!

the tough thing for me is if I have forgotten anything when I go through my bags Wednesday night I will be at my parents house in Quincy which is about a 10 min drive (no traffic) to Logan Airport, while my house is in Fitchburg that is over an hour away. I will be getting out of work Wednesday morning and it would be too much for me to go home Wednesday, then wake up early on Thursday (about 3 am) to go to airport for the flight. So if I forgot anything I will be SOL!

So I will stay at my parents house and get a good night sleep and be bright eyed and bushy tailed for my fun, Fun, FUN weekend with all my DW friends!

Thank you Doug! :D I just might take you up on that. Thankfully, almost anything we forget we should be able to get at the hotel or close by. Try to think of what you couldn't easily get first, like prescriptions and make sure that kind of stuff gets packed.

The things I was thinking of forgetting would be books to sign, stamps, and things like that! :lol:

Tomorrow after work I and after I take a nap I am going to a couple of used book stores near my parents house to scrounge for some possible PTerry books.

Just sign up for Skype and anytime you want to use it let me know.

Oh yeah! I've got to look through the stampy stuff for something to bring. I've decided not to bring any books, since I'm doing just a carry on. It would be great though if Unseen Academicals were released in time for this.
Catch-up

Postby Beth » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:00 pm

Renta posted a pic on Fbook of Terry in shorts! Adorable.
Last edited by Beth on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beth

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:33 pm

Well, I have made it to AZ and the Con and it is HOT! Like melt you shoes HOT, like face-melting-at-the-end-of-Indiana-Jones HOT!

But it is nice to meet some of my new friends. I have met Sandra, Jane and Little Pat, and Paul. I also had a nice chat with Bernard who liked the hat that I made for the Con and made me his Aide D'Camp and a Commander, with Sargent Stripes! :lol:

We have a nice long chat in the court yard. No pictures yet, just walking around the place seeing what's what. Found a good sub place called Silver Mine Subs Good price and good food. Well, I am going to head down to the lobby and see who else I can meet and chat with. I will start taking pictures tomorrow and post them when I get home, forgot the cord! :x :x

BTW, IT'S HOT!!!!!!

Did I forget to mention that?

:lol: :lol:
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Beth » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:56 am

Ratty you are the BEST. It sounds so exciting!
Beth

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:55 am

It should be a couple of degrees cooler over the weekend Dug! Have a great time. :D
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:55 pm

have a great time and dont to anything i wouldnt do :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Catch-up » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:10 pm

I leave in just a couple of hours. :D Unfortunately, my flights been delayed a little and I'll get in later than I'd hoped. I just hope I'm not too wiped out to enjoy myself this evening!
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:27 pm

enjoy yourself catch up and no misbehavin just coz your off the leash :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett