Will the 'real' Lspace please stand up?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby pip » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:10 pm

lmao :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby CJDobs » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:37 pm

L-space.org is the daddy of all Discworld fansites.

It might appear technically backward now but it wasn't when it first aired on the t’interweb - it has just retained its original guise and presentation, that's all.

It's a shame it's defunct now . . Alt.Fan.Pratchett started from here, The Pratchett 'meets' started from here, the Discworld conventions started from here. . .

I was a constant lurker from ‘97/’98 onwards but never posted as original AFP'ers (of which I'm sure there are numerous on here!) Were a little cliquish - sorry but it's true!

L-space is littered with rules and regs about what you can post and how you can post it. Things got heavily ‘modded’ and moved around to meet with L-space protocol and annotations about annotations dominated every post making most of it unreadable. It left little freedom of action and became hard to read for ‘outsiders’ – maybe that was the plan!

It felt altogether ‘UnPratchetty’ in that sense although originally Terry used to post there regularly.

It still has lots of gems on there not least some of his funnier posts in the archives. Even though I wasn’t a contributor I do miss it. It was the first website I ever visited! It feels lonely and unloved now . . . DW Wiki is just a wiki, same as any other. L-space had character . . . .*sigh*

p.s - As for lspace.com . . I'm at work . . I'll check that one *later* 8)
CJDobs

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere that even Terry stopped posting on Alt.Fan.Pratchett - because he found it too cliquish. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby CJDobs » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:57 am

He did Tony! That and the fact that he started to have copyright issues with fans suggesting storylines to him that were close to his own plans for future novels.

It used to be great reading his posts but slightly frustrating too as many 'fans' would argue with him about his own books! :roll:

I'm a bit of a traditionalist and if HE wrote it, then HE is right. End of. How can HE possibly be wrong when the words came out of HIS head?

The mind boggles sometimes :?
CJDobs

Postby raisindot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:59 am

CJDobs wrote:
I'm a bit of a traditionalist and if HE wrote it, then HE is right. End of. How can HE possibly be wrong when the words came out of HIS head?

Well, now, that's just crazy talk.

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby pip » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:31 pm

CJDobs wrote:He did Tony! That and the fact that he started to have copyright issues with fans suggesting storylines to him that were close to his own plans for future novels.

It used to be great reading his posts but slightly frustrating too as many 'fans' would argue with him about his own books! :roll:

The mind boggles sometimes :?

What about all the bits of inspiration flying through the universe that just so happened to hit Pterrys had at the exact right moment resulting in the books. 8)
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby CJDobs » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:21 am

I suppose up another trouser leg of time, Pterry's inspiration could have landed somewhere else . . .

. . . Though I very much doubt it :wink:
CJDobs

Postby pip » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:04 am

So best to put my net away then.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Previous

Return to Terry Pratchett