New memeber, silly question (regarding possible signed book)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

New memeber, silly question (regarding possible signed book)

Postby I like pie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:21 pm

Good morning,

I am a first time poster to the site residing in the States. I found this site by accident while trying to find some information regarding Sir Pratchett.

Yesterday I came across a wonderful find at my local used book store. Thirteen Terry Pratchett soft cover books (10 UK Corgi editions and 3 US editions) in pristine, unread condition, all for $17 USD. Upon bringing them home and upon further review I noticed that two of them were signed on the title page. The two signatures are very different from each other, however I believe that both books were signed by the author.

I am at work right now and do not have the ability to provide pictures at this time (I fully intend to once I get home). But my first question is how do I submit pictures onto the site? And second, once I provide pictures of the signatures, are there any experts on the site who may be able to help me determine if the signatures are genuine?

Thank you in advance,

David
I like pie

Postby michelanCello » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:24 pm

Welcome to the site, David! :D

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with your questions, but I'm sure our dear moderator, Tony, will be able to help you. :wink:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:31 pm

You need to open an account with a photo-hosting site like ImageCave, PhotoBucket, etc.

Scan the page into your computer, then upload it to the hosting site (it's pretty simple to do - must be, I can do it!!).

Then copy and paste the IMG option into a post on this forum.

Hope that helps.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:31 pm

Possibly only Terry can tell if it's genuine. But we could have a look & offer an opinion.

There's a sticky somewhere regarding posting pictures, I'll see if I can find it...
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:09 pm

Terry's signature has changed considerably over the years.

This thread about the signatures may be of some help.

Welcome to the site. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby I like pie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:50 pm

Thank you for direction to that thread. I saw that myself which prompted me to post my message originally. The signatures I have look nothing like the one shown. One of them actually has the tail end coming up to form a sythe.
I like pie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:37 pm

Here are some scans of his signature that I have over three years:

I'm not sure if that helps matters - has anyone got any others for comparison? :)
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:54 pm

If you google "Terry Pratchett autograph" or Terry Pratchett signature" you'll find several examples, especially if you look at Google Images.

This one for example, looks a bit like it has a scythe. :?

Tonyblack

Postby I like pie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:39 pm

Thank you for the examples. I will post the pictures later tonight. Sigs. I have honestly look nothing like the examples posted.
I like pie

Postby raisindot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:46 pm

Just the fact that you found all those Corgis and others in the U.S. for $17 is amazing enough! I don't even want to say how much I paid to buy my Corgis in the U.K. and have them shipped overseas.

I'm sure that the signatures in your books are authentic. PTerry was a very patient and gracious signing machine when he was on tour. He signed three of mine during the only time I ever saw him in person in Boston several years ago.

J-I-B
raisindot

Return to Terry Pratchett