The First Dutch Discworld Convention.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Jan is flying home tomorrow
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 29, 2011 8:26 pm

:D Glad you had a great time.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby author3 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:29 pm

I really want to see the pics :D :D :D :D
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Penfold » Mon May 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see the pics! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Im afraid my pics didn't turn out that great :( So we'll have to wait till Jan returns, I know she took a lot of pictures :)

What did we do on the Con: :P
Saturday I was dressed as Death and the costume had some disadvantages. It was quite hot to wear and my vision was a bit limited because of the mask. We played a few games of Werewolf. First game I was one of the two villagers left standing :P Second game I was killed by the werewolves.

There was a presentation about the Ankh-Morpork boardgame awe could also play the game and it's fun :) We watched Going Postal had a nice diner and the suprise of the evening was Rob reading us from Snuff over Skype :D

Sunday the translator arrived and I was the first to sign up for a KaffeKlatsch with him. He's a very interesting guy and he also read from the Dutch translation of Wee Free Men. There was also a very interesting talk about Orangutans and a Panel with extras from Going Postal.

The day ended with a Maskerade and a sort of play of Going Postal in which I had to play mr. Pump :wink: The plan was to make an adaptation of Going Postal of now more than 20 minutes. For my role as mr. Pump I recieved 4 Dutch Discworld books and Good Omens in Dutch :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 30, 2011 3:12 pm

:D Sounds like great fun!
Tonyblack

Postby author3 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:23 pm

What 4 books were they
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby meerkat » Mon May 30, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm jealous, jealous! :lol:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby michelanCello » Mon May 30, 2011 6:13 pm

meerkat wrote:I'm jealous, jealous! :lol:

So am I :wink:
Sjoerd, you know where to find me if you now have some, khm, books twice...you don't have that much space, I'm sure :wink:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon May 30, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm back and absolutely knackered so I won't put the pics up tonight but there are loads of Sjoerd as Mr Pump... Image

What was that other famous award ceremony? Oh I remember now - the Razzies! :lol: He'll be up for one for sure - Best Actor in full face mask possibly. I have tons of photos :twisted:

The Snuff bits were great and lots of goss from Mr. Wilkins - apparently Good Omens is shaping up really well and they're looking at 36 - 36!!!!!!! episodes of a Watch series for TV, but is v. early days. They're apparently looking at having to do a purpose-built set for certain parts of AM instead of keeping on going out to Budapest. :shock:

Sjoerd, thank you for not mentioning my wardrobe malfunction... :shock: More on that tomorrow, but we had our pictures taken a lot after the opening ceremony :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:02 am

author3 wrote:What 4 books were they

Well 2 are a present for mC :wink: Beause I already have them. And the other 2 are Unseen Academicals and Making Money
Sjoerd3000

Postby Penfold » Tue May 31, 2011 11:11 am

Soooo glad both of you had a good time. I can't wait to see the pics Jan. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue May 31, 2011 12:28 pm

This is going to take a while to organise so will be a 2-parter :D

Ysabell and her Daddy - don't we look cute? :roll: :lol: OK - look at my wig 1st :P Not a brilliant fit but pretty good considering this was the 1st time I'd had it on in earnest and when I'd got everything ready up in my room I was about to fix the elastication when the fastener just disintegrated and I ended up having to tie a knot in it instead so it was a tad tight on Madam's head! :shock:

Anyway - it held up long enough for a quick photocall and so that was OK and somebody got us photoed for posterior etc. Now look at my stomach - the dress honestly fitted me really well - tons of room and not tight at all, especially as I wasn't going to be moving around too much or doing strenuous things in it like sitting down and getting up.... the shiny satin central panel had very skimpy seams that I thought I'd restitched and strengthened at home already - NOT SO!!!! :evil: After that piccy I was walking down the hall to the next event and felt a little cool around the waist - sat down to watch a demo of Ankh-Morpork the Game and discovered that the seam stitching on both sides of the central panel had finally given up the ghost and was starting to gape rather embarassingly... :oops: :oops: :oops: 'Luckily' I had to go and meet someone in reception, so I made my excuses and left rapidly (well as rapidly as I was capable of doing as function room transit was a tad hazardous for my dodgy knees :cry: )to do an unscheduled costume change back into something that wouldn't cause offence to public decency.... :oops: :shock: :twisted:

OK - some pics of other cosplay highlights :D

The Assassin and the Wizard - Jolanda and Nick (Djelibeybi) - Nick won and the Maskerade for the English and Jolanda with her co-Assassin mate (whose name I've forgotten but you'll see her in the next post) won the prize for the Dutch :oops:

Jolanda over-balancing with the weight of her blade arsenal... :lol:

and from the Maskerade Mister Otto Chriek - he was at Birmingham too and his camera is utterly brilliant! :D

Back in here later with action shots of the first and last production of the Very Much Reduced Disc Theatre Company of Going Postal ~ Second Class Delivery :twisted:

Sorry about picture quality - the camera's new to me and I've never used one of these new-fangled digital jobs where you don't have to do the viewfinder/focus thing to your eye. Plus the flash didn't always go off so I've had to tinker drastically with some of these.... :oops: :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Tue May 31, 2011 12:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 31, 2011 1:22 pm

Why did you go to the con dressed as Dotsie? :lol:

Great pics, Jan. :wink:
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett