How did you start

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

How did you start

Postby John1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:30 pm

I was wondering how did everyone start reading Discworld Novels? I Started with Interesting Times which was a great novel. I really liked the events of the novel and I also liked the reappearance of Rincewind after the events of Eric.

What did everyone else start with, how did you start the series ?
John1

Postby Quark » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:57 pm

I initially picked up Thief of Time from my local library - drawn by the impressive hardback size - but lost interest fast. I probably wasn't in quite the right mindset for Discworld. Some months later, I am ashamed to say I was properly introduced to the Discworld via the 'Colour of Magic' movie, and promptly made up for it by getting my mitts on Hogfather and The Truth. :)
Quark

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:00 pm

A friend of mine said Terry Pratchett was great so I picked up Feet of clay from the library and am hooked ever since :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi John1 and welcome

There's a thread on this topic here
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Re: How did you start

Postby Batty » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:11 pm

John1 wrote:I was wondering how did everyone start reading Discworld Novels? I Started with Interesting Times which was a great novel. I really liked the events of the novel and I also liked the reappearance of Rincewind after the events of Eric.

What did everyone else start with, how did you start the series ?

I started with the Prologue on Page 7 (CoM) ...
:roll: Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:46 am

Hello everyone (waits for crowd to reply) *gives up and rambles anyway :) *

My name is Tina, and I am hopelessly addicted to books. It started when I was transferred to public school in third grade. I really, truly, never plan to stop being a *gasp* bibliophile. :oops:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby mspanners » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:05 am

Picked up a copy of the Colour of Magic in my local Public Library which was in the SciFi section by mistake and was hooked and had to read the follow up book when it came out............. could not believe the ending where the Hero was about to Die!!

Then missed Equal Rites and read Mort paperback on the Beach in Weymouth one Summer and just had to read them all after that................. :shock:
mspanners

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 am

Kept seeing the posters for Going Postal. Bought the paperback, and was somewhat confuzzled.

Then a very nice poster on the BBC boards told me what order to read them in, and I've been hooked ever since.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby DaveC » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:02 pm

:?: Bouncy Castle - Have you always have the awesome Buffy quotte as your signiture? Love Tabula Rasa - much forgotten by people as it comes right after once more with feeling. :D
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Do all fantasy/sci fi series have an episode called Tabula Rasa? Just a thought.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:29 pm

Dave.

Yes, I have. Tabula Rasa is my favourite episode. Always makes me laff.

Of the Angel series, Smile Time is my favourite. Gotta laff when Spike has the fight with puppet Angel!! "You're a bloody puppet". :lol: :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby superfurryandy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:30 pm

DaveC wrote::?: Bouncy Castle - Have you always have the awesome Buffy quotte as your signiture? Love Tabula Rasa - much forgotten by people as it comes right after once more with feeling. :D

I've known her for a while, and she's had the bloody thing for aaaaaaages. :)

A friend tried to turn me on to Discworld early on, after the first four books, but it didn't take. Then my missus bought me 'Sourcery' for a birthday and I loved it - by that time Terry had written up to 'Pyramids' so I had a fun time catching up, then settled into the waiting game for Discworld fun evry 6-12 months.
superfurryandy

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Harumph.

Bouncy Castle

Postby DaveC » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:18 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Dave.

Yes, I have. Tabula Rasa is my favourite episode. Always makes me laff.

Of the Angel series, Smile Time is my favourite. Gotta laff when Spike has the fight with puppet Angel!! "You're a bloody puppet". :lol: :lol:

I like Apocalypse Nowish for the fight at the end!
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby BatrickPatrick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:09 pm

'My nose comes off...'

Angel becomes a lot more better when Spike's in it. And 'more better' is perfectly grammatically correct.
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett