Terry working to save church...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Terry working to save church...

Postby Catch-up » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:06 am

Catch-up

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks for sharing this Catch-up - :D

I think it's a wonderful thing for Terry to do and I don't see how it compromises any of his own convictions in any manner whatsoever.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Catch-up » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:42 am

No problem! Wouldn't have known about it if someone hadn't posted it on another forum. It seemed particularly relevant to other discussions here. I agree, I don't think it in any way comprimises his beliefs. It also nicely illustratrates that he can find value in something he doesn't believe in, IMHO.
Catch-up

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:16 pm

It's a lovely little church, and one doesn't have to be a christian to want to preserve it.

I'm not a christian, but I love the architecture of churches.

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby raisindot » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Thanks for sharing this Catch-up - :D

I think it's a wonderful thing for Terry to do and I don't see how it compromises any of his own convictions in any manner whatsoever.

This recalls that great line from "Making Money," describing how the Royal Mint was originally supposed to be a temple designed to attract a TBD god. Something like,

"When you put up a temple without an assigned god, you're expressing your belief in architecture."

Perfectly appropro. I'm a firm believer in preserving ancient and good architecture, whatever its use!

:)

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:25 am

My last house (before I gave up the good life to become a student) was a Gospel Hall that Mr Dotsie converted for us. The first Easter we were in there, a procession of people came and prayed outside it.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jason » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:20 am

Dotsie wrote:My last house (before I gave up the good life to become a student) was a Gospel Hall that Mr Dotsie converted for us. The first Easter we were in there, a procession of people came and prayed outside it.

Did your poor boiling tar and feathers on them from the windows and shout "Get orf my land!"?
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Dotsie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:44 am

:lol: How did you guess?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Lady Vetinari » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:57 pm

I loved the bit that mentioned that it was the church used in Colin Firths Pride and Prejudice. :lol: I love ancient architecture. Give me an old church, castle, house, cottage anyday to homogenised council estates. Houses all looking the same, as the Monkees once sang ... but I do care! It is part of our history. I used to live near an old church and I used to take my dog through the grave yard and read the names on the grave stones and wonder what happened to them and their lives. I used to cry when I read that there were babies buried there.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby raisindot » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:54 pm

Dotsie wrote:My last house (before I gave up the good life to become a student) was a Gospel Hall that Mr Dotsie converted for us. The first Easter we were in there, a procession of people came and prayed outside it.

Well, see, that's the difference between Europe and the States. Here, people only pray outside your house if you've found an image of Jesus in your jam sandwich.

:lol:

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Catch-up » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:30 pm

:lol:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:58 am

What abotu the crucifixes they find on sheep and cattle? And on horses and babies?
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Return to Terry Pratchett