How did you discover Discworld/Terry Pratchett?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Thu May 13, 2010 11:58 am

Hellooo and welcome from me too, Zebbo! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Zebbo Mooty » Thu May 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Thank you, it sure is great to be here.

Zebbo Mooty (Retired 3rd Class Thief)
Zebbo Mooty

Postby And » Sun May 23, 2010 6:12 pm

In 1994 I was told I would love the books by the friend of a friend, but I did nothing about it until 2002 when two other people who know me well insisted that I would love Terry.
I bought Hogfather to read on a train journey and severely embarrassed myself by laughing out loud many times. The rest is history....
Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
And

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun May 23, 2010 7:01 pm

There is a one page interview in the Mail on Sunday in the LIVE tv mag.titled The secrets of my success I would have scanned it in but my scanner is still in storage.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:There is a one page interview in the Mail on Sunday in the LIVE tv mag.titled The secrets of my success I would have scanned it in but my scanner is still in storage.
You can read the interview HERE. :wink:

Who needs scanners when you have online newspapers? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun May 23, 2010 8:55 pm

I was not sure if it would been in their online section Tony,just thought some folk would like to know and for the completists. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 23, 2010 11:25 pm

No worries Dug - I thought I'd have a quick look, and there it was. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon May 24, 2010 6:06 am

Thanks, just read it. I'm ready for success now :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon May 24, 2010 1:39 pm

Me too! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby smithdwsn » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:36 pm

When i was in a book-shop then i find it. I had read some contents of it and i was very impressed with it. I liked it so at that time i bought it. At that time, i have no such specific idea about that but now i am happy because i felt it was my perfect decision.
smithdwsn

Postby Jane » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:41 pm

I was in another book series' fan forum, and they were comparing one of my favorite characters to Rincewind.
So I decided to start reading Discworld. (That was 2 weeks ago.)
Before that, I'd only read the Tiffany series, which didn't really discuss details about the Disc.

And now I've blown half of my pocket money stash on the books. :cry:
Jane

Postby Kittycat1977 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:57 pm

When I was 15 I had a really rubbish boyfriend who one day forgot it was my birthday. He remembered that I liked to read so ran into WH Smiths and bought the first book he came to that had a nice cover. That book was Witches Abroad. I got rid of the boyfriend but still have the book and have read nearly everything written by Terry.

Just goes to prove that from every mistake you make you learn something.
Never stand behind a cow when it is sneezing.
Kittycat1977

Postby Verns » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:18 pm

I just registered today and this seems the appropriate thread to say 'Hello!'

Some years ago, I bought a copy of 'The Amazing Maurice' as a present for my niece (as it had won the Carnegie Medal) and read the first couple of pages in the bookshop. I immediately changed my order to TWO copies, read mine and was hooked. A friend then lent me most of her collection of Discworld novels, although I have since had to buy my own copies since I read and re-read them. Yup, an obsessive. *blushes*

I still have a fondness for Maurice and those wonderful educated rodents, as I have for many of Terry Pratchett's children's books. I'd even go so far as to say I think 'Nation' is the best thing he's ever written.

But Discworld is something else entirely - an amazing achievement of imagination. I like the novels featuring Death (and, in particular, Susan Sto Lat), as well as the witches of Lancre. I confess to rather less fondness for the wizards of Unseen University, because I find them a pretty tiresome bunch, but my favourite books invariably feature the Night Watch and the wonderful Sam Vimes. Sir Terry just gets better and better, so I find the later books like Night Watch, The Fifth Elephant and Thud are just so much richer and more rewarding.

Okay, that's enough guff. I do have a question, which I was searching the internet for when I found this forum. Can anybody out there help? The Times today has the following announcement:

"A world cup free of footballs and vuvuzelas is being staged at a Facebook page set up by Terry Pratchett. Here, the knock-out contest is to decide the readers' favourite among 32 of Pratchett's Discworld novels. Voting at the group stage has concluded, and is now taking place to decide the four quarter-final winners."

I have searched Facebook in vain. Does anybody know anything about this? I want to vote!

Thank you in advance.
Verns

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:36 pm

Welcome to the site, Verns! :D

You can find the Discworld World Cup (vuvuzela free) HERE in the link in the first post. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Welcome Verns :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett