How did you discover Discworld/Terry Pratchett?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Heartsfan2 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Hi am new here and haven't read any Pratchett books but i guess i should?
Heartsfan2

Stolen Books

Postby NickPretzel » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:52 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Welcome to the forum, NickPretzel shame about your books though.

I try not to dwell on that, especially as there were three signed books ('Interesting Times', 'Witches Abroad' & 'The Streets of Ankh-Morpork', which was signed by Stephen Briggs as well). Those are the ones I can't replace :cry: . Oh well...
Thanks for your warm welcome everyone.
NickPretzel

Postby deldaisy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:01 am

Welcome to the forum Nick.

Yep I feal your pain .... I lost all my books too. I only have a few nowadays. Terry Pratchett of course... and just a few others. Sort of lost my heart for collecting after I lost them.

deldaisy

Lost books

Postby NickPretzel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:30 am

Thank you for the sympathy deldaisy and I know what you mean. I started rebuilding the collection by getting the new ones and then the ones I particularly liked and wanted to re-read. I've got about 15 now, so only 20 odd to go! I must have bought at least four copies of 'Good Omens'. That book, in particular, seems to be cursed. I lent my first copy to my brother, when he went to St Lucia and the flat he was staying in burned down (with the book)! Another copy got destroyed when my son dropped it in the bath. That's fire and water, I'm waiting for one to get blown away and dreading the landslide that will swallow the other :wink:

A couple of questions:
  • Speaking of other books, does anyone know if there is a thread about other authors they like to read? I always like book recommendations and think it might be interesting to hear from other Terry fans, as we already have that in common.
  • Do you have to post images somewhere in order to include them, or is there a way of including images from your own hard disk?

Thanks
If I believe in the ideas of people who think I am stupid, then I am stupid.
NickPretzel

Welcome Heartsfan2

Postby NickPretzel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:27 am

Heartsfan2 wrote:Hi am new here and haven't read any Pratchett books but i guess i should?

:!: Definitely :!: You don't need to read them in order, though it helps, as the characters and ideas develop. The first two ('The Colour of Magic' & 'The Light Fantastic') are quite different from the rest and you may want to leave them until later as they won't give you a true picture of what they are like. Then there are several strands of stories in them (The witches, Ricewind/the wizards, the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, Death/Susan Sto-Helit &c), though some of the characters appear in several strands (most notably Death, Susan's grandfather, who appears in just about all of them). Of the early ones I would recommend 'Wyrd Sisters' (#6 and first of the witches stories, unless you count 'Sourcery'), loosely based on MacBeth, or 'Guards! Guards!' (#8 and first of the City Watch stories), or 'Reaper Man', one of my favourites (#11 and second of the Death/Susan Sto-Helit stories - the first is 'Mort' which is also available as a graphic novel). I'd also recommend 'Good Omens', co-written with Neil Gaiman (author of the Sandman graphic novels) which is not a Discworld novel, rather a spoof of 'The Omen' and very funny too.

Just out of interest, if you haven't read any Terry Pratchett, why did you sign up for this forum :??

Anyway, Welcome Heartsfan2, I'm a new member myself, even though I've been a fan for 20 years. Enjoy and read a Terry Pratchett book, you'll never look back :)
NickPretzel

Re: Lost books

Postby DaveC » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:36 am

NickPretzel wrote:A couple of questions:
  • Speaking of other books, does anyone know if there is a thread about other authors they like to read? I always like book recommendations and think it might be interesting to hear from other Terry fans, as we already have that in common.
  • Do you have to post images somewhere in order to include them, or is there a way of including images from your own hard disk?
Thanks

Hey Nick, heres the two book reccomendation threads:

Closed but still readable.

http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5&start=0

Current one, started because the other went way toooo long. :D

http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3149&start=0

As for the imaages question, yeah you have to use Photobucket or something to host images, I wish we could do straight from hard drive. :roll:
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Questions, questions

Postby NickPretzel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks for that. As it happens, I think I found the active one while trawling. God, there's so much stuff here! Thanks all the same and I'll check out the locked one too. Any other suggestions would be gratefully appreciated (at this rate I'm going to be spending half my online life here :wink: .
NickPretzel

Postby Heartsfan2 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:40 pm

I am reading Reaper Man just now. Do you think i should continue or read some earlier work?
Heartsfan2

Postby DaveC » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:47 pm

Heartsfan2 wrote:I am reading Reaper Man just now. Do you think i should continue or read some earlier work?
if you are enjoying it then carry on, it's a great book! :) When you finish it, if you like it. Try to fine the ones before and after it before going to Night Watch. Reading orders are available in each book I can post one here for you later if you like?

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby Heartsfan2 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Ok thanks Dave C that would be a great help
Heartsfan2

Postby DaveC » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Heartsfan2 wrote:Ok thanks Dave C that would be a great help
I'll be home in about 4 hours to do it unless you use the Wiki link I pasted yesterday. :)

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby Heartsfan2 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:57 pm

ok thanks thats fine. i cant get onto the link :?
Heartsfan2

Questions, questions

Postby NickPretzel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks for that. As it happens, I think I found the active one while trawling. God, there's so much stuff here! Thanks all the same and I'll check out the locked one too. Any other suggestions for good threads to start on (So far there's Terry Pratchett\How Did You Discover Discworld/Terry Pratchett; Terry Pratchett\Terry Quotes; Terry Pratchett\How Can I Thank You, Sir Terry; The Broken Drum\Welcome and Introduce Yourself 3; and Non-Discworld books\Apart From Terry, Who Do You Consider the Best Writers. At least those are the ones I've posted to) would be gratefully appreciated (at this rate I'm going to be spending half my online life here :wink:).
NickPretzel

Postby DaveC » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Heartsfan2 wrote:Ok thanks Dave C that would be a great help
Here's that list. :)

1 The Colour of Magic
2 The Light Fantastic
3 Equal Rites
4 Mort
5 Sourcery
6 Wyrd Sisters
7 Pyramids
8 Guards! Guards!