Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby theoldlibrarian » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Welcome Nándor or some such salutation :wink:
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:16 pm

Welcome to the site Nandor :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby MissTeatime » Fri May 21, 2010 5:58 pm

*Ahem*

The first time I started suffering from depression I isolated myself from the world. I was in fifth grade and spent the breaks in school reading and re-reading the Discworld books. My logic at that time was that, since there was a world that was so much more interesting and funny, why should I bother trying to make friends with people who thought I was weird? The books were all the friends I needed.

This time around, and please don't lynch me for saying this, reading Discworld books just didn't do the trick. The months before I went to see a doctor and got medication and therapy were the worst of my life, partly because I was unable to enjoy the works of my favourite author. Happily, the meds kicked in just in time for Unseen Academials.

/ rant over. :oops:
"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always movin', and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance."
MissTeatime

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 21, 2010 6:49 pm

Discworld can be a great place to escape to - but eventually eventually real life will intrude on even the most wonderful fantasy. Discworld is for visiting - for taking a holiday and escaping, but you wouldn't want to live there. :)

Sorry to hear you have been so unwell - depression is just awful. And glad to hear you are feeling better now.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby MissTeatime » Fri May 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Discworld can be a great place to escape to - but eventually eventually real life will intrude on even the most wonderful fantasy. Discworld is for visiting - for taking a holiday and escaping, but you wouldn't want to live there. :)

Sorry to hear you have been so unwell - depression is just awful. And glad to hear you are feeling better now.

God, no - I just know that sooner or later I'd end up buying one of Mr. Dibbler's sausage-in-buns, and I'm a vegetarian! :lol:

And thanks. :) I'm pretty sure that part of it was that I've been in a pretty hard place in my life - finals, uni entrance exams and suchlike. Happily that will all be over in a few weeks. :D
"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always movin', and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance."
MissTeatime

Postby kytten » Fri May 28, 2010 8:57 pm

I joined just so I could write this.

It has been a dearly-held dream to one day meet Sir Terry, so I could say this to him in person. I don't know if I'll ever get the chance, and I want him to know.

It is very likely that his books are the reason I'm alive today. When I was about 9 some stuff happened. I don't feel like talking about it in detail, but it sent me into depression, self harm and regular suicide attempts. A couple of years later, I discovered several of his books at a friends house. I started with Equal Rites and felt right again. When I read the books, I felt like me, I was happy. Over time, I pulled myself out of depression with the help of therapy and Discworld.

Terry helped me discover my sense of humour, the myself under the layers of self-hate, and my desire to write. I have a lot to thank him for, and sincerely hope this gets to him.

Does anyone know of an email address to gets to him, or to someone connected with him?
kytten

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat May 29, 2010 12:09 am

If you go to the forum's main page you can send a message via his publishing agent which should be here. :) The Colin Smythe Terry Pratchett Archive
http://www.ull.ac.uk/historic/pratchett.shtml
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Sat May 29, 2010 12:34 am

Welcome to the site, kytten! :D

I think a few of us here (I know I can) can identify with you there. I'm very glad you are still with us.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chuckie » Sat May 29, 2010 4:34 am

Welcome to the forum Kytten :)
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby michelanCello » Sat May 29, 2010 6:08 am

Welcome, Kytten!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Penfold » Sat May 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Hellooo and welcome from me too, Kytten! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Cheery » Sat May 29, 2010 2:11 pm

Hello from me too :D
Cheery

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sat May 29, 2010 3:38 pm

Welcome from me too :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Previous

Return to Terry Pratchett