Terry Pratchett Signature - Fake?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Terry Pratchett Signature - Fake?

Postby Frank » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:10 am

Hi,

I am proposing to buy a signed first edition of a discworld book. The book was published in 1991. I have a picture of the signature as below, but am a bit suspicious that it is fake.

Can anyone help?

[/img]
Frank

Postby Dotsie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:48 am

Hi Frank

I don't think it looks real. I don't have enough signed copies to know how much his sig has changed, but it doesn't look much like the one I have (signed in 2000 I think), and that was signed in front of me.

The thickness of the pen lines makes it look like someone has drawn this quite slowly. The sig in my book has uniform thickness!

Lots of people on here have more experience in TP's sigs, I'm sure you'll hear more.

ETA I've looked at my second signed book, signed 7 years after the first, and the sigs have changed hugely. So now I don't know - sorry! :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Frank » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am

The thickness of the pen lines makes it look like someone has drawn this quite slowly. The sig in my book has uniform thickness!

That's what I thought, the signature isn't fluid enough to be drawn in a few movements as you would a signature.

Thanks, anyone else got any thoughts?
Frank

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi Frank

I have approx 30 TP signatures ranging from Pyramids to this year.

I think the signature looks a bit iffy.

To me that signature does not look like a 1991 signature. It looks a lot later that that.

My motto is if you think it's false, it probably is false.

Which book do you want to buy?
How much do you want to pay for it?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:07 pm

It definitely looks dodgy to me. It's possible that it was a 1991 book that was signed much more recently, but there's very little fluidity to the signature. The vertical lines also look odd. :?

I think Pooh is right - if in doubt - don't buy it.

This is what Terry signature looks like:

That's from PJSM Prints.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:51 pm

It would be helpful if you can provide more info is it from a bookdealer, ebay, or from a private sale, or something like Amazon or Abe and what book title it was as Terry was writing two a year then as I have all the early signatures at the time except one I can check which one he was using then. As such that sig looks suspect. :evil:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:17 pm

Dotsie wrote:The thickness of the pen lines makes it look like someone has drawn this quite slowly. The sig in my book has uniform thickness!

No experience of Pterry's siggie but some of forgeries. Depending on the type of pen used it is highly unusual for the pen strokes to be totally uniform especially if a pencil, trad ink pen or even a bog standard biro is used. Rollerballs perhaps may have uniformity, but even then you generally see 'pressure' areas. Digital and rubber 'hand-signature' stamps generally are uniform naturally.

So from that PoV your sig is someone's signature. However, I agree that it does look 'drawn' rather than scrawled - especially the bottom curl of the 'T' and at the top of the 'P' and the 3 cross strokes at the end also look too 'studied'. All of the distinct characters curves have a 'coloured' technique (I'm assuming this is an upsized image you've posted) and don't look at all fluid or practiced. So yeah - very likely a fake.

And welcome to the forum Frank :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby kakaze » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:00 am

It looks fake to me too.

My signed book is 4 months old. Based on it, and the image provided by Tony, it seems that Terry goes right with the bottom of his "T".

Also, the "S" shape, between the T and the P is too short. It's taller in Tony's and, in mine, is actually continuous from the top of the "T".

The loop between the "T" and the "P" is too small (in mine it's practically a circle).

The very bottom of both Tony and my signatures is very flat, but yours is not.

Finally, the three little vertical lines look funny to me. I've only got 2, though Tony's has 3, so maybe it's just my imagination.
kakaze

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:19 am

No there sometime only two downstrokes instead of three I was lucky enough to have Terry sign some books for end of last month. :D.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Frank » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Thanks for all the comments and help, i'm not going to buy the book. It's so annoying that people nowadays just want to con you out of money!
Frank

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:55 pm

Welcome to the site Frank :D
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
Sjoerd3000

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:23 pm

Frank wrote:Thanks for all the comments and help, i'm not going to buy the book. It's so annoying that people nowadays just want to con you out of money!

I totally agree Frank, it's terrible!

Oh, by the way, our advice isn't free, so please pm your credit card number to me, and I'll make sure the correct fees are deducted. :twisted:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Frank wrote:Thanks for all the comments and help, i'm not going to buy the book. It's so annoying that people nowadays just want to con you out of money!
Which one was it you wanted Frank I know some good honest book sellers.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Cheery » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:42 pm

poohcarrot wrote:

I totally agree Frank, it's terrible!

Oh, by the way, our advice isn't free, so please pm your credit card number to me, and I'll make sure the correct fees are deducted. :twisted:

:roll: you can't leave it, can you? :lol:
Cheery

Postby chris.ph » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:25 pm

i thought it looked pretty good when i signed it ooopppsss :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett