what people say about Terry Pratchett...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

what people say about Terry Pratchett...

Postby Cheery » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:39 pm

When I was discussing Discworld books with my dad yesterday, he described Terry's style of writing as "very thoughtful and philosophic at the beginning until he flicks a switch and goes absulutely berserk". :lol:
It had me laughing for the next half hour.

Do you know any comments from people you know?
Cheery

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:44 pm

I have heard good comments about his work. Many people have read at least One Discworld book and I mention his name and get "Discworld?" and then reccommend them to use them for surgery recovery, well, in a padded situation.

Met an English bloke who owns the Postal Shoppe where I shipped my package, he knew of TP and I told him that when I find duplicates of my books I shall drop one or two off. He was very pleased. He read a non-discworld book and had vague rememberances. I like that guy, I get my waiver forms from him each year. :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Dotsie » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:42 pm

Never found anone who has read any Terry, although I have met a few who don't like his books :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:25 pm

The only people i know who have read TP's books are my teacher from when I was 8 (only one year with him unfortunately) who told me about DW when I met him again 10 years later, who said "very good" and my friend Alisa who believed me when I told her about TheColourOfMagic" and after it started reading all of them and she says "genious writings although quite difficult to read in english".
:)
CrysaniaMajere

Postby MissTeatime » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:58 pm

I'm sorry to say that I know very few people who have actually read any books by him, and quite many who just don't want to. Their logic just beats me. My dad started reading one book (can't remember which now) and then left it half-read, claiming Pratchett's style was "all very well for young people but I'm too old for it". I was bamboozled.

(I love that word. Now that I thought of it I'll have to go post it in the funny words thread...)
"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always movin', and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance."
MissTeatime

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:10 pm

I do volunteer work for the Red Cross and the boss there has 8 of Terry's books and just loves him. :D
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Dotsie » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:45 am

MissTeatime wrote: My dad started reading one book (can't remember which now) and then left it half-read, claiming Pratchett's style was "all very well for young people but I'm too old for it". I was bamboozled.

Well that is wierd, but at least he tried. Not wanting to try, now that's just daft :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby theoldlibrarian » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:51 am

I met an English teacher once who said "Terry pratchett is a keen observer of the human condition"

My friend who teaches guitar said "I find it difficult to keep up with all Pratchetts books, I suppose its his fault for being so prolithic"

I once got a friend who reads very little to try one of his books and he read for a while and said "that was very strange, what does the turtle have to with it?"
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:36 am

theoldlibrarian wrote:My friend who teaches guitar said "I find it difficult to keep up with all Pratchetts books, I suppose its his fault for being so prolithic"

What he's really in favour of rocks? :lol:

(Geology joke. Sorry.)
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:43 pm

I read them, pass them to my friend, Mary, and had started to send them to another friend, but they took an age to come back.

Roy likes them in small doses, though he was hysterical at the first one we/he read - Going Postal.

His parter, Lyn, won't touch them.

I've also got Mary's 12 year old grandson into the children's ones, and I thought Eric was OK for him too.

He loves them. He ADORED Where's My Cow and insisted on making every visitor to the house read it as soon as they got in the door.

He also loves the Artemis Fowl books, as do I.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Dotsie wrote:
theoldlibrarian wrote:My friend who teaches guitar said "I find it difficult to keep up with all Pratchetts books, I suppose its his fault for being so prolithic"

What he's really in favour of rocks? :lol:

(Geology joke. Sorry.)
Whats a geologist favorite group called!! The Band With Rocks In.Image :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby theoldlibrarian » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:00 am

Glad to see there are some fellow geology fans here, I am a member of the Irish geology association.
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:36 am

I love Geology. :) Actually, going back to your question about new and emerging writers (on another thread), Sharlene and I have a very good friend who is a geologist and she also writes mystery novels about a geologist. They are excellent. :D The writers name is Susan Cummings Miller and she lives in Tucson.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby theoldlibrarian » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:50 am

Never heard of her but will certainly check her out. Cheers Tony:)
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Moist von Lipwig » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:13 pm

My mother says Terry's writing is "very philosophical and difficult but funny". My best friend used to say that "Terry creates worlds better than Tolkien did".

Only my girlfriend says she will never like Terry, because she doesn't share his sense of humor.
Moist von Lipwig

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett