Colour of Magic Sky Movie

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Rob Kirkman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:12 pm

nattheweirdo wrote:I watched that with my friend when around my house. I love david jason but he's SO not Rincewind...and Twoflower with an american accent? err..no! personally I didn't like it :P
[quote]
:evil: :twisted: Sam Vimes is a Thug Fact! - Rob Kirkman
Rob Kirkman

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:25 pm

welcome to the site rob :)

most coppers are thugs just hiding behind a badge :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Penfold » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:59 pm

ImageAnd welcome from me, too! :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:13 pm

And me! Welcome. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:36 am

Rob Kirkman wrote: :evil: :twisted: Sam Vimes is a Thug Fact! - Rob Kirkman

Hi Rob. Completely disagree with you :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:33 am

And Sam Vimes wasn't in the Colour of Magic movie. :P
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:21 pm

Welcome to the site Rob. Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby janet » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Could Rob suggest anyone more appropriate to play Rincewind?
If you have the DVD version with Terry Pratchett's introduction, then it's clear that David Jason wanted to play Rincewind and who could deny such a consummate actor when he clearly did a more than adequate job in the role?
Constructive criticism is always welcome.
I was torn between the US and Somewhere in the Far East from a UK (point of view) as the equivalent of the Counterweight Continent. The US seems quite logical in the context of the movie, given that Twoflower is involved in In Sewer Ants. Therefore his dressing in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts would be appropriate as would be his accent. To portray him as a Japanese tourist may well have encountered (censorship) problems regarding racial stereotypes although I've encountered Japanese tourists in my working life in the most unlikely of settings..........
So the American tourist is fine by me!
Sam Vimes (who was most definitely not in The Colour of Magic or The Light Fantastic) I'll leave to the more street-wise to analyse but I'd want him on my side in an argument!
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Rob was actually quoting nattheweirdo. Actually, it was kind of an odd first post to quote someone out of context and then make a comment about a character who wasn't even in the movie.

I'm hoping Rob will explain that. :wink:

I thought DJ did a decent enough job as Rincewind. People seem to have an idea in their heads of what Rincewind should look like and DJ doesn't fit that idea for them. The physical descriptions in the books of Rinso leave a lot to the imagination and, although DJ doesn't look like Paul Kidby's Rincewind, he sort of fits what we do know of him - although maybe a few kilos heavier. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:33 pm

.....and inches shorter but artisitic licence etc. Rincewind is far more physical in the books but a film couldn't possibly contain the entire books.
janet

Postby Penfold » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:45 am

I was also uncertain about the casting of David Jason as Rincewind but I was pleasantly surprised by the result. Bearing in mind that the movie was intended for a far wider audience than just us Discworld fans, David's involvement, as one of our best (and most popular) comedy actors, probably brought in a lot of people who would not normally have bothered watching! Maybe they even went on to became fans of DW afterwards?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Tonyblack wrote:maybe a few kilos heavier. :lol:

janet wrote:.....and inches shorter

And decades older :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby janet » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:28 pm

In terms of the average age of UU wizards he's a spring chicken :)
janet

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:52 am

B*gger me backwards! :shock:

I've just been to my local DVD shop to rent, of all things, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. While I was looking at the new rentals, what did my mince pies spy?

None other than a movie called Amazing World. :shock:

Which is in fact Colour of Magic!! :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby David Brown » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:22 pm

janet wrote:In terms of the average age of UU wizards he's a spring chicken :)

This is so, but on the other hand, the nearest we have had to a description if Rincewind's age is in The Colour of Magic, where he briefly becomes Dr Rjinswand, who is, we are told, 33 years of age.

Penfold wrote:I was also uncertain about the casting of David Jason as Rincewind but I was pleasantly surprised by the result. Bearing in mind that the movie was intended for a far wider audience than just us Discworld fans, David's involvement, as one of our best (and most popular) comedy actors, probably brought in a lot of people who would not normally have bothered watching! Maybe they even went on to became fans of DW afterwards?

That is reminiscent of the Fox TV approach to the casting of the Master in the 1996 TV movie of Doctor Who. The question was not "who will be best in the part?" but "given that we have a British Doctor, who will be an acceptable American choice for the villain?"
David Brown

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre