Alice in Wonderland

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Alice in Wonderland

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Just watched this earlier and it looks really good,a must see next year.

And what a cast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7j7b-iLPU4 . :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:16 pm

Yes, I think it will be fabulous. Whee, the first typing on my new keyboard!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby chris.ph » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:35 pm

if its anything like the rest of his films he is going to make a laudnum dream even more surreal :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:40 pm

:sigh: Johnny Depp :sigh: ok, now that the female instinct to grab him and drag him off to a comfy cave is done... Ahem. Oh yeah, it is going to be rockin'.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:13 pm

ImageImage
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Cheery » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:13 pm

Looks great! And lots o' Yays for Tim Burton!

But isn't Alice a little too old?
Cheery

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Cheery wrote:Looks great! And lots o' Yays for Tim Burton!

I think this movie is set when she's older and returns to Wonderland. :wink:

Here's what IMDB says:

IMDB wrote:The traditional tale has been freshened with a blast of girl power, courtesy of writer Linda Woolverton (Beauty and the Beast). Alice, 17, attends a party at a Victorian estate only to find she is about to be proposed to in front of hundreds of snooty society types. Off she runs, following a white rabbit into a hole and ending up in Wonderland, a place she visited 10 years before yet doesn't remember.

Full item HERE.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:42 am

Well it has the Tweedles so that's through the Looking Glass for starters but she goes down the rabbit hole as well - I love Tim Burton and Johnny Depp and it looks like it's kicked off from the Tenniel illustrative 'look' so good luck to them. :D

However..... I just hope and trust that TB will not have let himself get too dragged into doing a remake of the 1950s animation with the same production studio... :roll: Though I suppose seeing Alice's demure picnic dress transmuting into the dishevelled 'wild wanton gypsy' look may bode well for being a more Charles Dodgson early photographic tripping out version? :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Cheery » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:32 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Cheery wrote:Looks great! And lots o' Yays for Tim Burton!

I think this movie is set when she's older and returns to Wonderland. :wink:

Here's what IMDB says:

IMDB wrote:The traditional tale has been freshened with a blast of girl power, courtesy of writer Linda Woolverton (Beauty and the Beast). Alice, 17, attends a party at a Victorian estate only to find she is about to be proposed to in front of hundreds of snooty society types. Off she runs, following a white rabbit into a hole and ending up in Wonderland, a place she visited 10 years before yet doesn't remember.

Full item HERE.

okay, that makes sense.
Cheery

Postby Burkshifter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:19 am

I personally didn't like it.

It was very pretty, but it took all the soul from the book and channeled it into a cliche Hollywood fantasy plot, with Johnny Depp going through the motions of the same goofy stuff he's been doing for years.
Burkshifter

Postby Jason » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:52 pm

Sounds like pretty much everything else Tim Burton has done. All style no content.

I really don't understand why he is held in such high regard. I always find his work uninteresting.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:58 pm

I thought his version of Planet of the Apes was one of the most over hyped movies I've ever seen. I should have guessed it would be crap when Jonathon Ross thought it was so good. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Lady Vetinari » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:04 pm

Personally, I love Tim Burton and I think his films have a LOT of content, the Corpse Bride makes me choke every time and think the story is wonderful ... Edward Scissorhands is a brilliant film about how society treats novelties - love 'em when they benefit from them but quickly can turn to hate when he makes one odd mistake ... (much like what Mr Nutt in UA is afraid of happening!) His Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was WAY better than the Gene Wilder film (they kept the poetry that Roald Dahl wrote rather than change the words which is what they did in the '70s film) - Big Fish is another film I love - a bit strange but the way at the end the father and son make-up before he dies through the nature of story telling - beautiful! Beetlejuice was a childhood favourite.

Aside from his appalling James and the Giant Peach I think he is wonderful.

I adore Tim Burton, I adore Johnny Depp, and I adore Alice In Wonderland... Alan Rickman is in it to, as is Helena Bonham Carter (she would be wouldn't she?) Christopher Lee ...

I would love to see this at the Cinema but I guess I would have to wait until the DVD release ... :x

Another thing I love about TB is his wackiness. It appeals to my eccentricity. LONG LIVE TIM BURTON!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Lady Vetinari wrote:Personally, I love Tim Burton and I think his films have a LOT of content, the Corpse Bride makes me choke every time and think the story is wonderful ... Edward Scissorhands is a brilliant film about how society treats novelties - love 'em when they benefit from them but quickly can turn to hate when he makes one odd mistake ... (much like what Mr Nutt in UA is afraid of happening!) His Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was WAY better than the Gene Wilder film (they kept the poetry that Roald Dahl wrote rather than change the words which is what they did in the '70s film) - Big Fish is another film I love - a bit strange but the way at the end the father and son make-up before he dies through the nature of story telling - beautiful! Beetlejuice was a childhood favourite.

Aside from his appalling James and the Giant Peach I think he is wonderful.

I adore Tim Burton, I adore Johnny Depp, and I adore Alice In Wonderland... Alan Rickman is in it to, as is Helena Bonham Carter (she would be wouldn't she?) Christopher Lee ...

I would love to see this at the Cinema but I guess I would have to wait until the DVD release ... :x

Another thing I love about TB is his wackiness. It appeals to my eccentricity. LONG LIVE TIM BURTON!

ditto
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Cheery » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:47 pm

I've got one thing to say:

It was brilliant! :D
Cheery

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre