Doctor Who: The Big Finish audios...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Doctor Who: The Big Finish audios...

Postby Quatermass » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 pm

And just listened to The Juggernauts and Unregenerate! The first was a pretty good but flawed redo of Davros, while the second was actually an excellent story, despite the era it was set in.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Listened to Storm Warning, Sword of Orion, and Zagreus. Storm Warning and Sword of Orion are fairly average, but Zagreus was a brilliant, enjoyable epic.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jack Remillard » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:47 pm

I re-listened to the first two episodes of Spare Parts this morning for the first time in a number of years. It really is very good.
Jack Remillard

Postby Quatermass » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:35 am

Soon, I'm going to be listening to a bunch more Doctor Who Big Finish Audios: The Elite, The Butcher of Brisbane, The Wrong Doctors, The One Doctor, Earth Aid, Night Thoughts, The Magic Mousetrap, Max Warp, Dark Eyes, and the Unbound adventure Sympathy for the Devil.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jack Remillard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:52 pm

Enjoy. :)

Of those, I've listened to The Magic Mousetrap, Night Thoughts and The One Doctor.

I remember quite enjoying The Magic Mousetrap and The One Doctor, but Night Thoughts is one of my favourites. :) Really have to listen to it again soon.
Jack Remillard

Postby Jack Remillard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Oh, and Zagreus. You thought it was good, then? :) A lot of my early choices of Big Finish stories were made based on reviews, and I seem to recall that getting pretty mixed reviews so I didn't get it.
Jack Remillard

Postby Quatermass » Wed May 01, 2013 9:38 am

I thought that Zagreus was excellent. Of course, for many, it's a case of Your Mileage May Vary. In fact, it's still divisive on the Big Finish forums.

Listened to The Elite yesterday. Good story, interesting twist.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Sun May 05, 2013 11:36 am

Just listened to The Butcher of Brisbane, The Wrong Doctors, and The One Doctor over the past few days. The first was an excellent prequel/sequel to The Talons of Weng-Chiang, the second was an okay story but a bit too mind-bendy, and the third was an absolutely hilarious romp.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Sun May 12, 2013 12:37 pm

I may have just listened to the worst Big Finish audio so far: Earth Aid... :?

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jack Remillard » Sun May 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Ah, is that one of the 'lost stories'? :)

The most rubbish one I can think of at this point is The Dark Husband. :D I mean, it's worse than Silver Nemesis*. :lol:

* Which I quite enjoyed watching because Sylvester and Sophie looked like they were having so much fun. :D But that wasn't enough to save that The Dark Husband for me. :lol:
Jack Remillard

Postby Quatermass » Sun May 12, 2013 10:25 pm

I heard The Dark Husband was a bad one, along with Nekromanteia. Earth Aid is at least as bad as Silver Nemesis and Time and the Rani.

And yes, it's one of the Lost Stories line. It was part of a four story arc set after season 26: Thin Ice, The Crime of the Century, Animal, and Earth Aid.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Thu May 16, 2013 7:49 am

After the disappointment of Earth Aid came a much better story, Night Thoughts. Bloody good, emphasis on bloody. Don't listen to this one late at night.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Mon May 27, 2013 9:16 am

Enjoyed The Magic Mousetrap, Love and War (an excellent adaptation of an excellent book), and Max Warp (a funny spoof of Top Gear). Currently listening to the second episode of Dark Eyes, Fugitives, and have recently listened to the first episode of Dark Eyes, The Great War.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jack Remillard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:27 pm

I'm slightly reluctant to listen to Love And War. It's a really good book in its own right, but I didn't really like the way it left the Doctor and Ace's relationship. Probably silly, but still... :)

I've got a bit more spare cash at the moment than I have had recently, so I'll probably have a bit of a catch-up on Big Finish soon. :)
Jack Remillard

Postby Quatermass » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Jack Remillard wrote:I'm slightly reluctant to listen to Love And War. It's a really good book in its own right, but I didn't really like the way it left the Doctor and Ace's relationship. Probably silly, but still... :)

I've got a bit more spare cash at the moment than I have had recently, so I'll probably have a bit of a catch-up on Big Finish soon. :)

Well, you better plug the gaps in your collection of the first 50 stories: Big Finish has reduced the prices, but when they run out of stock, there'll be no more CDs. The first 50 releases, from The Sirens of Time to Zagreus, will be download only once the CD stock runs out.

-the Master
Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre