Doctor Who: The Big Finish audios...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Doctor Who: The Big Finish audios...

Postby Quatermass » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:19 am

Just listened to Spare Parts. Barring a slightly dodgy characterisation of the Fifth Doctor and a sometimes hard-to-discern Cybercommittee voice, virtually perfect. Horror and tragedy woven wonderfully together. :D
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Jack Remillard » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. :D Must listen to it again at some point.
Jack Remillard

Postby Quatermass » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:54 am

And now, I have listened to Omega. Good story, sometimes the humour detracted from it, didn't quite work as well as Spare Parts, but a damned good story with a very good twist, and some of the funniest dialogue. :)
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby Jack Remillard » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:48 am

I haven't heard Omega. :) I remember Master being quite interesting. A very different take on the Doctor/Master origin story to the one we usually imagine (and some of it ties into the Virgin New Adventures series of novels). I usually think of those books as having happened in a related but slightly messed up alternative universe. :lol:
Last edited by Jack Remillard on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Remillard

Postby Quatermass » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Jack Remillard wrote:I haven't heard Omega. :) I remember Master being quite interesting. A very different take on the Doctor/Master origin story to the one we usually imaging (and some of it ties into the Virgin New Adventures series of novels). I usually think of those books as having happened in a related but slightly messed up alternative universe. :lol:

Sorting out the relative continuities of Doctor Who is a nigh-impossible task. If I had to choose any set of spin-offs that were canonical to the TV series, I would choose, off-hand, the Big Finish audios for the most part. But it's not clear cut at all. :?

Quatermass

Postby Jack Remillard » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:16 pm

Yeah, same here. I think it's mostly down to individual preference. I know some fans love coming up with convoluted ways of making everything fit together. :D I generally think the 'New Adventures-ized' Big Finish stories happened in that continuity but the rest probably happened in the TV series universe. Unless they didn't. :D
Jack Remillard

Postby Jack Remillard » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:26 pm

One thing I remember finding funny in Spare Parts was somebody describing a Cyberman as having a 'horrible cloth face'. :D
Last edited by Jack Remillard on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Remillard

Postby Quatermass » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Jack Remillard wrote:One thing I remember finding funny in Spare Parts was somebody describing a Cybermen as having a 'horrible cloth face'. :D

Well, that's what they had in their first appearance, in the story called The Tenth Planet:

Seriously, did you think that cloth faces and those sing-song voices came out of nowhere? It's both funny and [EFF!]ed up that the first Cybermen looked like this. They were meant to be creepy, and, well, they kinda do. :|

Quatermass

Postby Jack Remillard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:25 am

I just found it kind of funny that they directly referred to that element of the original cybermen. :)

You're right, they definitely were creepy!
Jack Remillard

Postby Quatermass » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:10 pm

BTW, listened to one of the free audios Big Finish made available on SoundCloud, The Veiled Leopard. Okay, but far from great.

Quatermass

Postby Jack Remillard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 am

OK is better than bad. :D Ace/Hex and Peri/Erimem in one story sounds like fun. I'll have to listen to it later.
Jack Remillard

Postby Quatermass » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:39 am

Well, much better was Cuddlesome. Not perfect, but certainly enjoyable and darkly humorous. That's definitely one to download if you're a Big Finish virgin or veteran.

Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:53 am

Anyway, just listened to Davros and The Nightmare Fair. The first story was an interesting look at the twisted mind of Davros, and an effective story of him managing to do so much without any Daleks, and the second was a pretty good never-made story.

Quatermass

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Special for the 50th anniversary this year

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-light-at-the-end-limited-collector-s-edition-860

The cast list sounds interesting

Cast
Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann (The Doctor), Louise Jameson (Leela), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Nicola Bryant (Peri), Sophie Aldred (Ace), India Fisher (Charley Pollard), Geoffrey Beevers (The Master) with special guest stars!
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Quatermass » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:00 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:Special for the 50th anniversary this year

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-light-at-the-end-limited-collector-s-edition-860

The cast list sounds interesting

Cast
Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann (The Doctor), Louise Jameson (Leela), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Nicola Bryant (Peri), Sophie Aldred (Ace), India Fisher (Charley Pollard), Geoffrey Beevers (The Master) with special guest stars!

I've listened to the trailer. According to Big Finish, all eight classic series Doctors will be in there, and if the trailer's any judge, they may have gotten in voice artists to emulate the deceased Doctors. :|

Anyway, listened to Bloodtide. Charles Darwin plus the Silurians wasn't the perfect winning combo I had hoped for, but it was still a pretty damn good story.

On a different note, they must use cheap bloody CD cases. I had a lot of trouble getting Bloodtide out of the case, and I was worried that I was going to break one or both of the discs. :?

Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre