THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby Quatermass » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:58 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Just been having an icily polite exchange with some canon nazis on the Tolkien forum I belong to - in a supposedly movie-oriented thread about Radagast and the Rhosgobel bunnies. Boy am I glad I don't take every syllable the Old Man wrote as gospel (including the bits where he contradicts himself or changes his mind several times) :evil: :lol:

I fear that if I ever post on a major Doctor Who forum, I'd run into the same problem, even though Doctor Who's canon, compared to Middle Earth's, can be best described as a [EFF!]ing mess.

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I only wish pooh was into Tolkien more so I could get him to spam on there... :shifty: :twisted:

Oh, [EFF!]! Don't even joke about that sort of crap! :shock:
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby spideyGirl » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Went to see it last week with my lad in 3d and special effects messed with my eyes at times, think i might prefer to see it 2d tbh but loved it nonetheless :D

P.S is it wrong to fancy one of the dwarves? http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2225907712/nm2636108 :shifty:
spideyGirl

Postby Ghost » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:05 pm

hell no he was my main reason for watching being human
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Him and Dean O'Gorman who plays his brother Fili (and Thorin too of course) :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby spideyGirl » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Agreed :lol:
spideyGirl

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Bunch of letches, you lot. ;) :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby spideyGirl » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Tis true Dug, I even fancied Frodo :lol:
spideyGirl

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:48 pm

What was it the hairy feet that got you going. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby SimonAtford » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Okay so this is something that occurred to me watching it this afternoon. I posted it on my Facebook but no one has got it yet so I'd thought I'd try on here:

Anyone know what I'm on about?

Think of a certain film made in late 70's and set in New York.
Keep calm and prepare to hack!

http://www.yecompaynyeofcheualrye.com/cc/

Stop...

Carry on!
SimonAtford

Postby SimonAtford » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:05 pm

One thing I did find interesting in the film was the decision to make orcs and goblins different species. This is of course how they are portrayed works inspired by The Hobbit and LotR such as Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer and of course the books of Terry Pratchett but as I understand it Tolkien meant orc and goblin to be interpreted as two names for the same creature. Not really a criticism of the film as I think it works. The slightly comic goblins of The Hobbit do seem quite different to the more menacing orcs of LotR. It does however beg the question of what happend to the goblins before the events of the movie version of LoTR.
Keep calm and prepare to hack!

http://www.yecompaynyeofcheualrye.com/cc/

Stop...

Carry on!
SimonAtford

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:13 am

SimonAtford wrote:Anyone know what I'm on about?

Think of a certain film made in late 70's and set in New York.

The warriors, 1979.
CrysaniaMajere

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:14 am

Will they have a special DVD as they did for LOTR? I mean, extended version and all that?
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:17 pm

SimonAtford wrote:. . . as I understand it Tolkien meant orc and goblin to be interpreted as two names for the same creature. Not really a criticism of the film as I think it works. The slightly comic goblins of The Hobbit do seem quite different to the more menacing orcs of LotR. It does however beg the question of what happend to the goblins before the events of the movie version of LoTR.

In the cosmology of Arda/ME goblins are orcs and orcs are goblins, but over the course of the timeline (tens of thousands of years) there are cultural and physical increments in their development.

Essentially the orcs/goblins of the LotR are from a different strain to those in TH. The ones you see in the Trilogy are largely those who have remained directly under the sway of Sauron (and Saruman as influenced/corrupted by him). Away from Moria/Khazad Dum the goblins/orcs of the Misty and Grey Mountains as seen in TH are feral and remnant populations that have been separated from Mordor at earlier points in time in the First Age (we're in the Third Age in the trilogy and TH) and around 500 years earlier when the Witchking's realm of Angmar fell.

Orcs are not necessarily completely defined in either of the books - the Uruks (the Isengard orcs, but also of Mordor) are of a different 'strain' that arose when the Witchking fled to Minas Morgul and needed bigger, stronger goblins to fight the men of Gondor so they are essentially goblins 'bred' for size, musculature and intelligence. In the more ancient times there were also very large aggressive goblins but these were slightly different in nature, being 'Boldogs' - evil spirits who took on a grossly exaggerated goblin form and led the normal ones into battle. These were a little like the Eagles (the supersized ones) in that they were apparently immortal but 'fixed' in their shape. It is possible that The Great Goblin and Azog (and Bolg) were Boldogs rather than regular goblins, but in TH they were leaders who were, at that point, independent of Mordor and Sauron and kings in their own right. ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:54 pm

thats typical of jan, not a clue about tolkien :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) ;) (im going to hide now :lol: :lol: )
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:39 pm

:mrgreen: You think so? I'm into my 8th massive post on the Tolkien forum trying to explain to real 'lore' experts why there's nothing that much wrong with showing Radagast having guano-welded hair and driving a super-charged rabbit sled all over Eriador :P
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre