Who's The Best Star Trek Captain

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Who is the best Star Trek Captain?

Captain James T Kirk (The Original Series)
12%
Captain Jean-Luc Picard (The Next Generation)
39%
Captain Benjamin Sisko (Deep Space Nine)
12%
Captain Kathryn Janeway (Voyager)
21%
Captain Jonathan Archer (Enterprise)
12%
I don't watch Star Trek
3%

Total votes : 33

Who's The Best Star Trek Captain

Postby Penfold » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:35 am

After reading the "Most Dedicated Fans Poll Thread", I thought a proper poll for this subject might be fun. This is from the Series and doesn't include acting captains (such as when Spock or Scott took temporary command) or the films (the Captain of the Enterprise during "The Motion Picture" was Willard Decker - Kirk was an Admiral at the time, etc). I also haven't included Captain Pike as he only appeared in the pilot episode (and one other, albeit not as Captain of the Enterprise).

I've enable the option for people to change their votes and allowed for two votes to be cast.
:D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Re: Who's The Best Star Trek Captain

Postby chris.ph » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:46 am

picard for me :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:58 am

That's a lot harder than you might think. Picard is the most professional, Sisko is the most unprofessional, Archer is the least experienced, Janeway is the most determined and Kirk is something else all together. :lol:

I like them all for different reasons, but if you press me then I'll go for Janeway. I don't think Voyager gets the appreciation that it deserves. Janeway when she's p*ssed with someone is really scary and she's determined to do whatever she needs to to get her crew back as long as it doesn't violate certain absolute beliefs that she sticks to. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:03 pm

You know, I like Janeway when she's tough, I don't like her when she plays mother :lol:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:42 pm

Picard just gets it from me but Janeway's v.g. too. Kirk's the most fun captain if it was a pantomime :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Penfold » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Tonyblack wrote:That's a lot harder than you might think. Picard is the most professional, Sisko is the most unprofessional, Archer is the least experienced, Janeway is the most determined and Kirk is something else all together. :lol:

That's why I allowed for everyone to cast two votes and the option to go back and change their minds. They all offer something completely different to what is essentially the same role. :lol:

Incidentally, I went for Kirk and Picard. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Dotsie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Kirk is sexy and manly, he's not afraid to get stuck in and do what's necessary, and he has moments of pure genius. Dreamy! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 pm

Penfold wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:That's a lot harder than you might think. Picard is the most professional, Sisko is the most unprofessional, Archer is the least experienced, Janeway is the most determined and Kirk is something else all together. :lol:

That's why I allowed for everyone to cast two votes and the option to go back and change their minds. They all offer something completely different to what is essentially the same role. :lol:

Incidentally, I went for Kirk and Picard. :D

I can vote twice? Goodo! :D
Tonyblack

Postby MongoGutman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:36 pm

but you cant vote for the same Kirk, I mean Shatner, I mean captain twice dammit!
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby kizkiz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:15 pm

It depends how you define best?
For all intents and purposes, Kirk just flew around shagging :D
Picard was probably the best actor in the best series, but what did he really achieve?
Janeway was captain of the only federation ship in the entire quadrant. She made allies, almost single handedly defeated the borg and got back home!
Sisko was just cool . lol...he also stopped an invasion of the quandrant and pretty much held together galactic peace from cardassians/changelings/romulans/kilingon etc
Archer was just crap
kizkiz

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Oh I liked Archer. I liked the way his enthusiasm about being a space explorer get knocked on its head when he realised how inexperienced the crew was and how nasty the galaxy was. The show really hows how he comes to terms with that setback and how he manages to make allies and even eventually impress the Vulcans. And you can see how the writers were setting the scene for the later captains.

I liked Enterprise a lot, although I think that the fourth and last series really struggles towards the end when they obviously knew they weren't going to get another series, so they go into 'fan' mode and try to do the shows they'd always wanted to see in the original series.

The worse part of Enterprise was that bloody awful song! :evil:
Tonyblack

Postby MongoGutman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:02 pm

Kirk was an Adventurer
Picard was a Lawman
Sisko was an Administrator
Janeway was a School Marm
Archer was a uh... I dunno... kid with a new toy?
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:58 am

I agree with Janeway not getting enough love. she had make some tough choices being in the middle of nowhere.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Bickaxe » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:07 pm

Janeway. This is either because she had Seven of Nine on her crew or as mentioned, she was in a distant quadrant with no Federation support.

And Archer, I liked the fact that the tech was not as advanced as later series and I think it was more fun that the others.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Quatermass » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:11 pm

I don't usually watch Star Trek, so I put down for one of mine that I don't watch Star Trek. But of what I have seen, I have to go for Jean-Luc Picard. Patrick Stewart has the gravitas required for being a captain of the Enterprise.

Wheras Kirk was authoritative in that more affected Sixties way, and seemed to be rather stilted in speaking.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre