Which show has the most dedicated fans (TV Guide poll)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Which show has the most dedicated fans (TV Guide poll)

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:51 pm

poll popped up on TV Guide asking for fans to vote for their top 5 shows with the best/most dedicated fans.

Lot of choices actually, though a few interesting omissions.

I'm surprised Star Trek isn't higher, But I got no issues with the top 5.

http://www.tvguide.com/special/fall-pre ... -fans.aspx
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Re: Which show has the most dedicated fans (TV Guide poll)

Postby pip » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:11 pm

I'd have some issues with the top 5 . Don't think i could stomach more than a minute of the top 2 anyway
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Maybe number 1, but I thought everyone here liked Doctor Who.

Though To be honest that was most surprising bit, I would have thought Star Trek would have garnered a bigger response then the Dr. I guess maybe cause the show is currently running. they are usually the ones you think when you think of hardcore fans of tv shows. Guess i was shocked at how wide spread the Whovians were.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Well Dr. Who's been running almost as long as all the others put together (on original runtime) if you exclude Star Trek in it's various iterations :shifty:

I'd be hard put to it to say I really like any 5 from the shows listed but Family Guy & Game of Thrones are always worth watching and Buffy was good on its day, but then this is a US poll so I've haven't watched many of the others much aside from Dr. Who and Dallas (but not this new fangled one... :P )
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:39 pm

I was expecting Babylon 5 to be in there, only one in the top 5 for me and that's not my number one either.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 pm

Maybe it should read: Which show has fans dedicated enough to bother voting? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:38 pm

:lol:

heh, star trek is gaining over buffy. but still no match for firefly. and yeah, Lack of Babylon 5 is interesting. though you don't hear to much from 5ers anymore. Even those on the show are pretty low key anymore. JMS still writes but i'm not sure what all he's done in recent years. I was hoping he'd try to bring it back, but no luck.
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Yes it was my favorite, no Angel either, just as well there were no Discworld tv series it would have been interesting to see the results.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:35 am

I guess there aren't enough dedicated fans :lol:

though Jan's comment got me wondering. they don't have TV Guide in other countries, right? IE a weekly magazine solely for tv listings? or are there equivalents?
raptornx01

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:40 am

Dedicated in what way, I wonder?
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Dotsie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:24 am

It's sampling bias. Trekkies are all off playing dress-up and arguing over which was the best captain :P
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:28 pm

I really kind of dislike polls. They are never truly representative and never will be unless people actually tell the truth rather than responding about wheat they think should be the 'right' answer or the answer that makes them look the best. And then you have a whole and very large section of the population that refuses to take part in polls: another factor in making any results meaningless.

In a case like this, it's about which sort of fans can be bothered to vote. It's like these online polls where an Internet friend can win a competition due to a (for example) photo they have submitted to a competition. Then it's rarely about how good the photo is, it's more about how many Internet friends you have. And that's how it should be. I don't think anyone should take these sort of polls too seriously. The magazines tend to do them because they get a good response and people get annoyed when something they consider to be rubbish, gets lots of votes. :mrgreen:

In case you are wondering - I've been watching a lot of Charlie Brooker on YouTube recently. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Dotsie wrote:It's sampling bias. Trekkies are all off playing dress-up and arguing over which was the best captain :P

What's there to argue? It was obviously Picard! :D

and my number 1 is always star trek, but I admit I couldn't be bother to register in order to vote. :roll:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Penfold » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:04 am

Tonyblack wrote:In a case like this, it's about which sort of fans can be bothered to vote. It's like these online polls where an Internet friend can win a competition due to a (for example) photo they have submitted to a competition. Then it's rarely about how good the photo is, it's more about how many Internet friends you have. And that's how it should be. I don't think anyone should take these sort of polls too seriously. The magazines tend to do them because they get a good response and people get annoyed when something they consider to be rubbish, gets lots of votes. :mrgreen:

In case you are wondering - I've been watching a lot of Charlie Brooker on YouTube recently. :lol:

I'm the perfect example of this when people on this forum were voting daily for me in the Bing Photo Competition. Everybody else was relying on Facebook for there votes. I got through to the final 100 from a field of around 3600 by this method. :lol:

Charlie Brooker is great, btw, and Picard was definitely the best! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:16 am

Ah but your photos really are good. :lol:

I used to post on a cat forum where people would enter photos of their cats into various competitions. It really got to be the case that it was the most popular members who got the most votes. I'm not criticising this system, just pointing out that it is often not a very accurate indicator of real trends. :)
Tonyblack

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre