Dubbed or Subtitles?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Dubbed or Subtitles?

Postby konnichiwa » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:42 pm

I prefer watching stuff with the original language, since in Finland only childrens shows are dubbed so one doesn't even hear dubbed stuff on TV.

But I must say I love the children series which I saw as a kid, as dubbed. I can't stand the voices of TMNT in any other language than Finnish, same with The Biker Mice from Mars etc
also same applies to old Disney movies, I love the finnish dubs (mostly way more than the english voices) but nowadays I prefer the english voices since the dubbing isn't so good anymore... but the old movies :romance-heartbeating:
konnichiwa

Postby Ghost » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:52 am

I watch quite a bit of anime but on live action films I prefer subbed over dubbed
the reason for this is that you get the whole experience of the actors ability.
But for some reason American's like to dub any film that comes their way
which is the main reason why the death note film fell flat on it's face in the States

also the live action adaptation of Cromartie High and Gantz was butchered that way
and is a sod to find the subbed version on the net of either one of those movies.
But for animated programs and films I don't mind as much as long as it's well done
you can get terrible subs and terrible dubs but then you can find something that
is just bizarre and breaks all the rules like Ghost Stories that was created by
some of the people who created Bleach and should have been outstanding but for various
reasons that I won't go into because I haven’t seen the subbed version wasn't.
And then the Canadians got hold of the rights and it went out of the window lol
the the script writers went wild changing the script almost completely but keeping to the
basic plot of the original script, it's the marmite of anime you either love it or hate it
I happen to love it now there is a reason to why I'm going to put the video in spoiler brackets
don't watch if you're sensitive
Spoiler: show
God can't see you when it's cloudy
Ghost

Postby raisindot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:05 pm

Ghost wrote:I watch quite a bit of anime but on live action films I prefer subbed over dubbed
the reason for this is that you get the whole experience of the actors ability.
But for some reason American's like to dub any film that comes their way
which is the main reason why the death note film fell flat on it's face in the States

Sorry, but you're totally wrong about this. Almost no foreign films (or at least those that appear in movie theaters) are dubbed anymore in America and haven't been since the 60s; just about all have subtitles. If a film is dubbed here it's because the producers know that the thing is such a turd that no Americans would put it up with seeing it with subtitles.
raisindot

Postby Ghost » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:27 pm

okay sorry after doing some studying you're right there is a lot less dubbing
but in my defence I have found quite a few Asian anime live action adaptations that have been dubbed
Death note, Gantz and Cromartie being fairly high up on the list
Ghost

Postby Tiffany » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:20 pm

The only foreign film I have ever seen, I own the DVD as well, is Amélie. It's a lovely film & subtitled, but doesn't really need them as there is very little dialog in it.
I much prefer subtitles.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby raisindot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:58 pm

Ghost wrote:okay sorry after doing some studying you're right there is a lot less dubbing
but in my defence I have found quite a few Asian anime live action adaptations that have been dubbed
Death note, Gantz and Cromartie being fairly high up on the list

I wouldn't use anime or anime live action as a representative of what goes on in the American market for foreign movies. There's a very small audience for this kind of stuff, and dubbing cartoons (or even live action cartoons) makes much more sense that subtitles, since you're not really seeing these things expecting great acting or dialogue.
raisindot

Postby Ghost » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:59 pm

then tell me what is
because a huge amount of non-anime drama, comedy, scfi and horror that is produced in Asia
just isn't shipped over to the US and what 8 years ago there was a huge outcry for horror
but that seems to have died off with a small exceptional few
and anime isn't a small industry any more it is massive and growing bigger by the year

and to honest I have been looking through various movie lists for the US and it has surprisingly small amount of non-English
speaking movies
Ghost

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Anime in the US has died off ALOT the last couple of years. It USED to be growing exponentially and seemed to be taking over, but the downturn in the economy combined with oversaturation hit the industry HARD. most of the major players are gone now. all thats really left is FUNimation. Viz, manga ent, and bandai are barely holding on thanks to a few big licenses (and the fact that bandai is just part of a bigger japanese company). Geneon (formerly Pioneer), central park media, and at one time the biggest company, ADV Films are now defunct (plus many smaller companies). and those three were the industry leaders at one point.

And even FUNi would be gone if not for Dragon Ball Z (at one point the highest rated show on cable tv in the US and still a hugely profitable series), the fact that Navaro bought them years back, and that founder Gen Fukunaga has contacts (not to mention family) in several Japanese studios (which is how he was able to get the DBZ license after it's original failed attempt in the US despite not actually having a company, or the means to release it at the time)

Its still around, and has the potential to get back to where it was a few years ago, but has alot of ground to win back.

raisindot wrote: since you're not really seeing these things expecting great acting or dialogue.

Quite the opposite infact, maybe early on, say early to mid 80's, it was true, but quality has improved significantly since then.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby mystmoon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:44 pm

I tend to watch everything with subtitles irregardless of language because of my hearing :D

I have to say though, part of the problem with anime is that since fansubs (and in some cases fandubs) can be easily streamed within days, sometimes hours of the original air date in Japan, most anime fans don't buy official releases of Anime anymore, instead streaming it online. In fact I've heard a lot of anime fans complaining that the series that they like arenever picked up by dubbing companies so they can't support official releases and are "forced" to illegally torrent episodes
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Previous

Return to TV, film, theatre