What have you seen recently? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What have you seen recently? 3

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:31 pm

I want to see that as well as How to train your Dragon2,but which one 1st as Planet of the Apes is no t shown locally yet. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:15 am

Saw Transcendence with Johnny Depp. excellent film. loved the way they handled things. didn't turn out the way I expected.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:18 am

yesterday I saw a episode of the Simpsons featuring Neil Gaiman
which was quite a surprise
the book job
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby janet » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:03 am

Ghost wrote:
janet wrote:The movie 2012. Too busy. Too confusing. Too long. :?

two years out of date :D

:lol:
Daughter and I went shopping in different places and both of us decided to treat us to a new movie. Hence we watched The Book Thief and The Grand Budapest Hotel this week, both of them excellent for their own reasons.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby MongoGutman » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Saw The Amazing Spiderman 2 - very poor - each movie in this franchise seems to be a little worse than the one before and since this is the fifth (they call it 2 because 4 was a reboot) it's gotten pretty bad. About on a par with Batman and Robin.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:08 am

Hopefully one day they make a real Spiderman 4.

but it's probably as likely as an Evil Dead 4.

Saw Need For Speed. very fun. kind of smokey and the bandit-esq. Some really nicely done stunts.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby janet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:31 pm

I liked The Amazing Spiderman simply because I thought the lead characters were more subtle and likeable. OK apart from Rhys Ifans who is always OTT. Also love the fact that CGI technology seems to have finally caught up with the imagery of the original Marvel comics and feel this is something to be applauded. Also, the charming young man in the DVD shop agreed with me ;)
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby raisindot » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:38 pm

Just saw Snowpiercer, an amazing new dystopia-action movie by Korean director Bong Joon Ho. It's a visionary, SF allegory about class warfare, with bits of Marxism, surrealism, politicals, 99% polemics and tons of violence thrown in. It's the kind of movie Terry Gilliam would have made in his prime (in fact, one of the main characters, played by John Hurt, is named Gilliam, presumably a tribute to the Brazil director.
raisindot

Postby DaveC » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:03 am

Can't wait to watch that! I've only heard awesome things. :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Penfold » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:25 pm

I tried watching Monty Python's last show but was a little peeved that a lot of the first half was bleeped out due to being before the 'watershed' and the recording cut off before the end (presumably due to overrunning). However, it was mentioned in the backstage show that the whole lot will be repeated, uncut, post watershed so I will have a great excuse to watch it all over again. :D

Despite everything it was very funny, particularly with Cleese and Palin corpsing each other and finding it almost impossible to keep straight faces. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby raisindot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Penfold wrote:I tried watching Monty Python's last show but was a little peeved that a lot of the first half was bleeped out due to being before the 'watershed' and the recording cut off before the end (presumably due to overrunning). However, it was mentioned in the backstage show that the whole lot will be repeated, uncut, post watershed so I will have a great excuse to watch it all over again. :D

Despite everything it was very funny, particularly with Cleese and Palin corpsing each other and finding it almost impossible to keep straight faces. :lol:

Not sure what the 'watershed' means, but I'm seeing the rebroadcast of it at a local movie theater on Thursday night (live tickets for the broadcast were impossible to get). Hope they include the entire thing.
raisindot

Postby Penfold » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Sorry Raisin (and others who were unaware of 'watershed'). It is a time that programs are considered for family viewing (no sex, nudity, swearing, extreme violence, etc.). The post watershed time here is after 9pm when such content can be shown, although content warnings are normally given beforehand to avoid offending people*. Hope this brief explanation helps. :D

*People who are easily offended (and like complaining to the authorities about program content) seem to use these warnings so that they know what programs they are meant to be offended by before watching it (or even without actually seeing it at all in some cases). :roll:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby raisindot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:32 pm

Ah, thanks for the explanation. That is so ironic because Monty Python's Flying Circus was the first TV show ever broacast in America that featured uncensored female nudity.* For a twelve year old American boy watching "The Dull Life of a CIty Stockbroker" it was, well, a revelation. :lol:

*Other than National Geographic specials
raisindot

Postby Sister Jennifer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:40 am

I seem to be watching a lot of crime shows of late. Aside from Fargo which was fantastic I just finished the first series of True Detective. It's different to Fargo & I couldn't stop watching it, astounding bit of telly.

It's quite dark, but I recommend it all the same.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Catch-up » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:41 pm

We haven't been able to get out to the movies in awhile. But, we have been trying a new SyFy series, Defiance. We're only part way through the first season, but it's pretty good so far!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre