Lets Cast - 'Guards! Guards!'

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:22 pm

I re-read GG yesterday, and I'm sure it says somewhere near the beginning of the book, that Vimes is skinny.

As, indeed, is the Patrician, who only eats a glass of boiled water and a slice of stale bread.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Cheery » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:25 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I re-read GG yesterday, and I'm sure it says somewhere near the beginning of the book, that Vimes is skinny.

As, indeed, is the Patrician, who only eats a glass of boiled water and a slice of stale bread.

Nice. I eat water every day :P

Sorry, just couldn't resist that one :lol:
Cheery

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:35 pm

Too Bad Clint Eastwood "Get Off My Lawn" is too old. I have never seen Hugh Laurie in anything But House, so I am Continentally challenged. yeah that's the ticket. :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:22 pm

There you go Tina Hugh in full comedy flood and Stephen Fry (who I reckon could carry off Vetinari in manner and voice at least) [edit as YT's withdrawn the other one - playing Lord Melchet (he of the golden breasts :wink: Hugh's the tallest of the 1st 3 stag night guests)] :wink:

Hugh's not done much 'straight' acting really, but he's been in Stuart Little, the 1st live action 101 Dalmations as the taller of Cruella's henchmen and Maybe Baby opposite Joely Richardson (film of Ben Elton's book Inconceivable)
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Maybe Stephen Fry can play Rust in the adaption of Jingo? General Melchett is very similair to Rust :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:54 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbarchers/F195 ... 2&latest=1

Don't know if any of you are registered with BBC Points of View forum, but the above link is a discussion about TP's movies.

It actually started out as a thread about Terry on BBC Breakfast, but you know how these things go off topic! :D

They're wondering why he went with Sky to make the movies, as he loathes that type of company, or somesuch.

Perhaps one of you could answer, or let me have something I could copy/paste over to there?

Ta muchly.

Oook!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Phoenix » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:07 am

I *think* I heard something about TP saying that he went with Sky because they were offering the most creative control/involvement and he hadn't liked how other companies wanted to change the plots/characters. That's only based on vague recall of something I saw on tv though (possibly on a behind-the-scenes/making of documentary for one of the films).
Phoenix

Postby captainsmog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:10 pm

Vetinari: Jeremy Irons or Dennis Hopper or Hugh Laurie or Michael Caine
Vimes: Eventually Sean Bean...
Nobby: Andy Serkis (as for the Librarian)
Sybil: Kathy Bates (with a few pounds off :roll: ) or Emma Thompson
Colon: Bob Hoskins or Nick Frost
Carrot: Brendan Fraser (I haven't a better idea...)
captainsmog

Postby Lady Vetinari » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:25 pm

Sean Bean as Vimes ... mmmmmmmmmmm .... sorry ... would be wonderful though ... Jan what do you think?
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Cheery » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm still for Danny Webb as Vimes. Saw him in one of the Doctor Who episodes and he's very nearly how I picture Vimes, including the haircut. :lol:
Cheery

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:51 pm

Lady Vetinari wrote:Sean Bean as Vimes ... mmmmmmmmmmm .... sorry ... would be wonderful though ... Jan what do you think?

IMO Sean could do any of the 'macho' roles VERY well but he needs to be cast wearing as little as possible :twisted:

Sooo... ideally Hrun the Barbarian or a youngish Cohen - that's possibly a better choice as he could then play him indefinitely :lol: :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Lady Vetinari » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:55 pm

lol ... How'd I know you'd have thought of Sean with hardly any clothes ...

(the main fault of the LOTR films ... no sweaty half naked men ... :twisted: Particularly NO HALF NAKED SEAN BEAN ... :evil: !)

How about Human Greebo then?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Sean was very sweaty in most of FotR though - :P it suited him much more that Viggo anyway as it just like Aragorn had forgotten to pack any shampoo (should have borrowed from Legolas but that's Rangers for you :twisted: )

Hmm - yeah Sean could do human Greebo pretty well I guess, he certainly know how to handle sharp(e) weapons :lol: 8)
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Lady Vetinari » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:05 pm

And what would Legolas use? Herbal Essences for normal hair?
L'orelf 'Because he's worth it!'

:D

Billy Mitchell in Eastenders could be a good Vimes ... I like that character but not enough to watch the show ... Perry Renwick I think is the actor's name.

Lady Vetinari

Postby fyffes » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Angua could be Angelina Jolie. Somewhere between ravishing and famished.

For Vimes why not aim high and suggest Kevin Spacey or even Stott - who played Rebus.
fyffes

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre