Lets Cast - 'Guards! Guards!'

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Welcome to the forum Zee Zee :D (did you know zee means sea in Dutch? :wink: )
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Penfold » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:34 pm

Hello and welcome from me too. :)

I haven't read all the posts on this thread :oops: , but has anyone considered Brian Blessed for the part of Ridcully?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Penfold wrote:Hello and welcome from me too. :)

I haven't read all the posts on this thread :oops: , but has anyone considered Brian Blessed for the part of Ridcully?

Is Ridcully in Guards! Guards!? I don't think he is :wink:
Other than that Brian Blessed would be perfect :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:50 pm

No, Ridcully doesn't show up until Moving Pictures. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:57 pm

Sorry, I was a bit off topic and just meant in general :oops:
Penfold

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:05 pm

No worries :wink: and Brian would be excellent as Ridcully :wink:
Sjoerd3000

Postby Draywoman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:01 pm

From the moment I read his introduction in Moving Pictures I must admit that I assumed TP had based Ridcully on Brian Blessed, just remembering him as the king in Blackadder 1.

Going back to the thread, I haven't looked through all the posts but I think Philip Jackson is Vimes with maybe Pam Ferris as Sybil. I listened to the BBC radio 7 run last week and loved Melvin Hayes as Nobby, I even reckon he looks(ed) the part, although I haven't seen him recently. How about Mel Smith as Colon? and Michael Sheen as Vetinari?

BTW - still on the R7 play - DEATH was played by DEATH. The voice was fantastic, who was it? Anyone?
Habeus testiculares, habeus cardium et cerebellum
Draywoman

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:09 pm

I'm not sure who it is, but you can listen to episodes 1 and 2 of Small Gods HERE. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:03 pm

Moderately on topic for the moment, I saw the stage production of Guards! Guards! at the Theatre Royal, Brighton. Paul Darrow (of Blake's 7 fame playing Avon - for us Brits old enough to remember) played the part of Vimes and his acting was about as wooden as the scenery :cry: My friend, who had never heard of Terry pratchett, loved it tho. :)

Anyway, fully back on topic, I too was thinking of Mel Smith as Colon and possibly Andy Serkis as Nobby (playing the role of non-humans so excellently should make the job of playing Nobby merely challenging rather than impossible). For Vetinari I reckon Patrick Stewart could make a great patrician with Ian McKellen as Lupine Wonse (or possibly the other way around, I just think Ian McKellen makes a good baddy :? ). For Vimes I was thinking of Dennis Waterman but I have to agree with Draywoman instead and opt for Philip Jackson and Pam Ferris. :) As for Death, CGI is the only way to go with Christopher Lee's voiceover.

Looking back on my ramblings, it looks a bit like "What the cast of LotR did next". :) I still can't figure out who I'd like to play Carrot or CMOT Dibbler tho. :?
Penfold

Postby Draywoman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Ah, I remember lusting after Avon when I were a lass... :oops:

Maybe Phil Daniels as Throat or Joe Pesci (nah, on second thoughts, I'll stick to Phil Daniels)

I am flummoxed by Carrot. Probably ought to pay more attention to all these High-School/Teen/902157630 things but I can't be (ahem) bothered...

Perhaps Melvyn Hayes for Gaspode, then (MAA)? The voice would cut it and the appearance doesn't matter with CGI.

Ronald Lacey (Gestapo guy from Indiana Jones #1) would make a brilliant Wonse; just the right amount of greasy humility and megalomania. Or is he dead now? (Senility is getting to me) :roll:
Habeus testiculares, habeus cardium et cerebellum
Draywoman

Guards Guards

Postby Zee Zee » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks for all the welcomes, Think Brian Blessed for Ridcully is inspired,
Martin Sheen for Vimes not bad at all. A thought for Vimes if you wanted it to have an American interest would be Richard Dean Anderson(mind you he may be Canadian again)
Will somebody get all the Tribbles of the bridge
Zee Zee

Postby chris.ph » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:24 pm

hello zee zee your not a frenchman by any chance r u , i know a frenchie called zee zee who designs opthalmic lasers :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Sir Sam-Mule Vimes » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi all, newbie here.....

I have always wondered about potential castings for TP film adaps and Philip Jackson looks the part for Vimes.....

I must admit to being a tad disappointed with some of the previous castings for Nobby, JI as Vetinari and Angua. The so far portrayals of Ridcully are a bit off too, Brian Blessed would get my vote just on booming voice alone.....I can just see The Bursar now cowering against it !! :lol:
Sir Sam-Mule Vimes

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Welcome to the site Sir Sam! :D
Tonyblack

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Welcome from me too :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre