The Colour of Magic Movie

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:41 am

Klingon blood has changed colour too. When Worf bled on the Next Generation, it was red, but in The Undiscovered Country (set earlier, filmed later) Klingon blood was pink :shock:

Klingons must be far more genetically variable than humans, which could explain the foreheads :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jarmara » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:01 am

Casaninbetween wrote:
I have to disagree. Consider Twoflower. He is:

Short
    Bespectacled
    Overly interested in taking photos
    Overly polite

All of these are aspects of the western stereotype of the Japanese tourist (perhaps I should say "Oriental tourist", since most westerners mix up China, Japan, Thailand etc.).

A parodical American tourist would probably be fat and boastful (no offence, Americans). And he probably wouldn't be called "Twoflower".

Granted.

BUT

He is also wearing a loud shirt, throwing money around and convinced that his Agatean nationality protects from everything like a stereotypical american tourist and distrustful of the water and the food like a stereotypical Brittish tourist.

He's a stereotypical Tourist, of all flavours in CoM.
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:13 am

It's a sad fact but you simply don't see as many American tourists in Europe as you used to - it's the exchange rate and it's true that you are more likely to see Japanese tourists these days and they are usually taking photographs.

But - the American tourist going back a few years ago stood out like the proverbial sore thumb. A lot of them did have loud Hawaiian type shirts, shorts and an expensive camera around their necks. A lot of them were short and wore glasses as well.

As Jarmara says in the previous post - Twoflower is an amalgamation - a stereotypical tourist.

And let us not forget the luggage. Terry has stated that the idea for the Luggage came when he saw an American tourist towing a large suitcase on wheels that seemed to have a mind of its own. :)
Last edited by Tonyblack on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:14 am

Casaninbetween wrote:Consider Twoflower. He is:

Short
    Bespectacled
    Overly interested in taking photos
    Overly polite

All of these are aspects of the western stereotype of the Japanese tourist

Describes my Dad pretty well, too. Definitely not a Japanese tourist :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:15 am

:lol: PMSL
Tonyblack

Postby Jinx » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:35 am

Tonyblack wrote:Actually, what I've been surprised at is how well david Jason seems to have been accepted as Rincewind once everyone had actually seen him in the part.

I actually wasn't impressed with David Jason as Rincewind but only because he didn't conform to my view of Rincewind. Having said that Sean Astin didn't conform to my view of Twoflower but I was impressed with him. Perhaps there's more to it than that then.

Though one of the great things about series like the Discworld is that film makers can get away with some deviations from the story (Only some mind). Probably because of the inconsistencies within the written series anyway. Sorry, There are NO inconsistencies in the Discworld books; occasionally, however, there are alternate pasts.

Had the Twoflower convo with my gf when I first got her to read the books and we were casting parts we'd like if a film was ever made (They were kind enough to oblige :wink: ). We both agreed that an American would work best for a British audience. They're loud, always cheerful and somehow they think they're invulnerable. I pointed out that he was probably thought of as Japanese mostly, but that didn't seem to change anything. We also agreed that he was definitely NOT German. :lol:
Jinx

Postby mspanners » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:28 pm

Good point about the Klingons ,BUT if I recall correctly, in one of the God awful Episodes of Enterprise the of appearance the Classic and Modern Klingon was explained by a Genetic Disease that affected the some of the Kligon race.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/incon ... eheads.htm

Can't wait for the book in which the Agateans transmogrify into Westerners! Should be good......... :wink:
mspanners

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:31 pm

:lol: Ah, I've never seen Enterprise.
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:31 pm

You have not missed much.................. :lol:
mspanners

Postby chris.ph » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:11 pm

get onto vulcans ,romulans and remans thats genetic diversity for u
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Casaninbetween » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:48 pm

Jarmara wrote:Granted.

BUT

He is also wearing a loud shirt, throwing money around and convinced that his Agatean nationality protects from everything like a stereotypical american tourist and distrustful of the water and the food like a stereotypical Brittish tourist.

He's a stereotypical Tourist, of all flavours in CoM.

Granted! :)
The World's Most Mediocre Lover
Casaninbetween

Postby Casaninbetween » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Anyway, I must say that the casting of Cohen is just fantastic! But what's up with his accent?
Casaninbetween

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Casaninbetween wrote:Anyway, I must say that the casting of Cohen is just fantastic! But what's up with his accent?
That's the guy who plays the caretaker in the Harry Potter movies. He's using a sort of Yorkshire 'northern' accent while at the same time trying to sound really old with no teeth.

I think he manages very well.
Tonyblack

Postby Casaninbetween » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:38 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Casaninbetween wrote:Anyway, I must say that the casting of Cohen is just fantastic! But what's up with his accent?
That's the guy who plays the caretaker in the Harry Potter movies. He's using a sort of Yorkshire 'northern' accent while at the same time trying to sound really old with no teeth.

I think he manages very well.

Oh, I thought it was a Russian accent or something, which I couldn't see fitting into the generic barbarian theme.
Casaninbetween

Postby flying-kiwi » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:38 am

Speaking of cast...has anyone else noticed that the Patrician doesn't appear on the cast list on the Skyoneonline website? Everyone else is there except him.
flying-kiwi

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre