The Colour of Magic Movie

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jarmara » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:48 pm

McSweeney :wink:
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby chris.ph » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:50 pm

thats the family cheers jarmara :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jason » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:51 pm

I think that is part of the beauty of the way Terry writes and also part of the problem. The user becomes part of the creative process by filling in the blanks that Terry leaves out.

But this allows us the readers to fill in the information any way we like. It is only when we come to adaptations we see this filled in information from somebody else's viewpoint. When this doesn't match our own we dismiss it.

I guess I don't really have a problem with the casting of The Colour of Magic because I've never really worried about race (in either the real world or on the Discworld) it just never really occurs to me. I can understand the counterweight continent is based on oriental themes but just populated it with people (not Asian people, not Oriental people, just people). Terry doesn't distinguish between races and I feel no need to either.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Jarmara wrote:McSweeney :wink:

I always thought that was Terry referencing the Tai Pan novels by James Clavell. One of the founding families in Hong Kong (in the books) is the 'Struan' family. So alongside all these Hong Kong busnessmen with Oriental names you have this Scottish family name as well.

Jason is absolutely right - we all 'cast' a book in our minds and a film maker can never please everyone. In the same way you can never truly have a perfect film or TV adaptation of a book - because they are two different types of media.

Take the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell. For most people the casting of Sean Bean is perfect as Richard Sharpe, but not if you read the books he isn't. I love the books and have accepted Sean Bean as Sharpe - even though he doesn't fit the description. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jarmara » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Jarmara wrote:McSweeney :wink:

I always thought that was Terry referencing the Tai Pan novels by James Clavell. One of the founding families in Hong Kong (in the books) is the 'Struan' family. So alongside all these Hong Kong busnessmen with Oriental names you have this Scottish family name as well.

Really? Don't know the books, but it's only possible if Terry also thinks McSweeney is Scottish, when it's actually Irish :D
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby mspanners » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Lord Hong,Red Army,Four Big Sandal,Three Maximum Luck,Pretty Butterfly,Lotus Blossom,Two Fire Three Yoked Oxen,Herb,One Favourite Pearl.............Hongs ,Sungs ,Tangs ,Fangs and McSweeneys ,Imperial Guard ,Captain Three High Trees, District Commissioner Kee ,Disembowel-Me self-Honourably Dibha ,Tongs District Commissioner of Bes Pelargic , Two Little Wang the Emperor's Master of Protocol ,Six Beneficent Winds Deputy District Administrator and Collector of Revenues for the Langtang district ,One Big River ,Four Big Horns who is promoted to Lord Chamberlain

Not many Western Names among these peoples...........Oriental surly.

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Book:Interesting_Times

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Agatean_Empire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noh

Take a look at the Annotations, its not just Me that thinks its Oriental.
mspanners

Postby Jason » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:09 pm

I think you are purposely missing the point we are trying to make. We can all agree that the description sounds very much like our orient. But just because on Earth the people look a certain way it doesn't mean they do on the disc.

Why if the people look oriental doesn't Rincewind stand out as unusual? How can he travel amongst the populous without raising suspicions?

Names, designs and histories don't describe how the populous look just how it acts.
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:13 pm

No one has said that the things happening on the Counterweight Continent aren't Oriental - in fact we said they were. It's quite obviously a parody of the Orient. We just said that it's Discworld not Earth and therefore the people there could look like anything.

I really don't see the problem. Why can't the people who live on the Counterweight Continent look like Sean Astin? They can still act Oriental if you like. :P

Seriously - Terry is very protective of his characters and he's been known to turn down big budget film makers who want to change things too much. From what I've heard, Terry was involved with MOB Films in both projects and I'm sure that if he'd said 'no' to Sean Astin then MOB would have found someone else.

That suggests to me that Terry is happy with Sean in the role of Twoflower and who's to argue with that? :)
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:40 pm

I also agree that the actor playing Twoflower didn't need to be Chinese. But not having seen COM, can anyone tell me if there were any black actors in it? There doesn't seem to be any fuss about this, and you wouldn't expect there to be, even if half the cast were black. It would be completely normal.

Because it's Discworld, of course, we have all sorts of colours - just like Roundworld :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:47 pm

I don't recall seeing any black actors in there. But I could be wrong. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:53 pm

I just checked and Karen Shenaz David, who played Liessa, Dragonlady, was born in India. :)

Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:16 pm

Karen David is indeed a very lovely lady. I had lunch with her at Pinewood once. :)

When Rincewind and Twoflower get to Krull there is a black lady who says "Welcome to Krull".

See Image
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:23 pm

By gum, you're right. I'd forgotten about the lovely Krullian lady. :D
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:07 pm

Did terry have any artistic input into the audio readings of His books?

If so then why, in the Unabridged versions, were the Counter Weight characters Voiced quite clearly with Oriental accents? :?:

The cartoon of Soul Music had the Bard as a Welsh man,the accent was welsh and He was Caucasian.....

So a president has been set, in the book Soul Music The Bard was cast as a White Welsh Man.He may have lived in Llamedos but the character was Welsh.

I also remember seeing an interview in which Terry said the characterisation in the TV cartoons was exactly as He wanted them, he was happy with the way they cartoons were made.

So if Twoflower was not meant to be of Oriental stock then why was His home a near copy of pre communist China.... :?

I think Twoflower was Americanised for the TV show to appeal to the market place,the US is one of the biggest markets and by making Twoflower More American than Oriental the show would attract a bigger audience.

Well that my opinion, make of it what you will. :shock:
mspanners

Postby chris.ph » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:13 pm

sorry mspanner but a boy i was in the navy with was a very black and an exceptionally proud welsh speaking welshman
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre