The Colour of Magic Movie

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 am

wolfdog27 wrote:I know it was coming on blueray but I wan't to know if it's coming to Canada.... :?
Wish I could tell you for sure. The series is going to be shown on TV in the US, but whether it will be shown in Canada is another thing. :?

Let us know if you find out - and welcome wolfdog27! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi Wolfdog, welcome to here from me as well. :)
I do hope you do get to see it on T.V. there in Canada. Can't you get the DVD there?
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:35 pm

It certainly doesn't seem to be available on Amazon Canada. :(
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Wolfdog! if you are going to the WorldCon in Montreal in August this year, you may be able to pick up a DVD in the dealers room I dont know what region you are in though.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tiffany » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:02 pm

Couldn't someone send him a copy?
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Straw Walker » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:24 pm

I've seen it at last! I ordered COM from Amazon as a little personal treat to help drive away the winter blues. It arrived yesterday and I said to Mrs SW, 'I'll just go and make sure it's OK.' 159minutes later I went back to the kitchen with a big smile on my face. :lol:

It is as good as you have all said, nay better! The casting was great, the special effects wonderful and it was so true to the books. Cohen was just as I imagined and David Jason managed to change my 'picture' of Rincewind even though he and Twoflower looked a bit too well fed:) (It is a bit difficult to ignore the original Josh Kirby images.)

I'm now saving up for Hogfather! :D
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:08 pm

I've just recieved Sourcery. I didn't think they strayed too far with David Jason - the Josh Kirby illustration made him look old. I thought it was a fantastic production. I haven't got it yet, but I have got Hogfather to keep me company.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby mspanners » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Th trouble with the straight to DVD movie is it is to abridged for my taste and the characters bare little resemblance to the ones in the books.

Rincewind is a skinny coward who is in fear of Death in the Books...

Opening sequence of Film We see a Short dumpy Rincewind Trying to commit suicide!

This is just one example.....

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the Film some loved it and some found it .......... well disappointing is a polite way of putting it.

Which is a shame because some of it was well done and some characters were fine to me.... Vetinari and cohen for examples.

I originally watched it on TV.

I was given the DVD by the Wife for Christmas and it is still in the wrapper....... If it had been the HogFather it would have been opened on Christmas day.
mspanners

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:48 pm

Any adaptation of any book will always only ever be an interpretation of the book. It would be impossible to make the perfect book to movie no matter how much money was spent, how many special effects you used or who you got to play the characters.

That's a fact and if we expect more we will be disappointed.

So what is the best we can hope for? I really thought they did a very good job of keeping the feel of the book. I had reservations about David Jason - but I thought he did a very good job of playing the part.

If you want everything to be the way that imagine it, then the only place you'll see that is in your own head.
Tonyblack

Postby Byakuran » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:31 pm

That's why I want to become a film director :D

Scrawny, tall and thin. Just going on thirty... That's my Rincewind. Not to mention more than capable of RUNNING away from EVERYTHING. Sorry, but David Jason just isn't up to it!!

I also didn't like Tim Curry as Trymon either. I always imagined him to be the same age as Rincewind - isn't he young and ambitious, and drinks hot water? XD

In any case, I didn't get the feel of the book in the films at all. I thought it just went... well, mainstream would probably suit it. Instead of this bizarre and twisted world, it came across as your standard "ooh! ahh!" fantasy film (cue comparison to Golden Compass film interpretation) and just lost any power and humour the books had.

The other thing with David Jason is this: it's not even that he didn't play the role well, but the thing that annoys me me most is the way they changed the character. It seems to me that making him an old man was the easy way out, the "perpetual student" to the letter. And it just makes for cheap laughs, seeing an old man hanging from his boots in a duel to the death or whatever... Personally, I thought it was a parody of itself.

I don't know if anyone else has said this already, since I'm not about to read through eleven pages :D I just checked the first and the last. But that's my opinion. :(

I didn't actually know there was a Going Postal film coming out... any news on who will be playing in it?? :?:
DRINK COFFEE - Do stupid things faster with more energy!
Byakuran

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:13 pm

I haven't seen any of the Discworld movies and I don't know if I ever will (I saw a little bit of the animation for Wyrd Sisters and didn't like the voices so didn't watch beyond the 1st episode).

I recorded The Hogfather when it first aired, but somehow I just couldn't bring myself to watch it and like many of us I couldn't see David Jason as Rincewind, so I heven't watched CoM either... yet anyway.

My experience of Harry Potter actually started with the film version of the Philosopher's Stone so I don't have that 'problem' with that series - and the casting for that is almost without exception spot on.

I think my affection for Discworld is too ingrained and after I got really annoyed with Peter Jackson and some of the stupid diversions and liberties with the LotR Trilogy (2 & 3 especially!) I decided to follow my sister's example with that and not watch the Pratchett books movie versions. So my inner vision will likely remain unsullied... :?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:31 pm

After seeing David Jason as Albert & he really was good in that part, he really didn't grab me as Rincewind. I loved Hogfather.
My idea of Rincewind is the same as most others, tall, skinny & able to run extremely fast, not necessarily young though, as he had been at UU for a very long time.
Having said that I still thought the film of C of M, magic. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Dotsie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:My experience of Harry Potter actually started with the film version of the Philosopher's Stone so I don't have that 'problem' with that series - and the casting for that is almost without exception spot on.

Well the characters are fine I suppose, but they aren't really as described are they? Hermione is hardly played by an ugly duckling, Ron is too short, and Dumbledore is missing his kindly twinkling blue eyes. Dame Maggie Smith is, as always, brilliant (but then she is my favourite actress :D )
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:13 pm

Emma Watson? Pretty? Hmmm... :P She's certainly as annnoying as Hermione. And yeah - poor Rupert Grint can't hack the growth spurt but as an '11' year old he was perfect and once in the movie-goers affections it's hard to accept someone more physically correct *shrugs*

I think Michael Gambon's got a lovely twinkle! ROTF :lol: *hopes not everyone's seen the definition of 'twinkle' in the Nation thread... whoops!* :twisted:

My top favourites are Mr. and Mrs Weasley - Julie Walters and Mark Williams are such great comic actors :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:07 pm

In his eye, Jan :lol: :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre