The Colour of Magic Movie

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:56 am

Watched it last week, & I thought it was cracking! Rincewind wasn't so bad after all, actually he was rather good - but I still don't think he should have been Albert :D

Jason, you will have to be more specific about where you are in the Drum. It was very dark in there & I couldn't make you out!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jason » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:05 am

Agreed it is very dark.

When Twoflower first walks into the Drum he stops right in front of me before heading off towards the bar.

I am on the left hand side of the barrel in the middle of the bar playing Thud! with SaneAlex. I think as Twoflower walks off you see me make my killing move in Thud!

You see me several more times in the pub, knocking back a pint and also dodging out of the way of the Luggage as it heads for the stables.

Also when Rincewind kicks Stren in the family jewells I am fighting in the background and look over to see what is happening when Twoflower shouts smile.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Annebn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:39 pm

I was looking for familiar faces in the Drum, but didn't spot you Jason. I think I saw Pat though. Must go and watch it again, knowing where to look.

And Tiffany, if I had to pick, I agree with you that Rincewind should have been younger, and Twoflower definetly chineese (or perhaps Japanese). But I still think the pair worked well in the movie.
"But you read a lot of books, I'm thinking. Hard to have faith, ain't it, when you've read too many books?"
-- Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Annebn

Postby Tiffany » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:06 pm

I was just nit picking really, as I did enjoy it immensely, Annebn, will watch the second episode next Monday with my friend.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Dotsie wrote:Watched it last week, & I thought it was cracking! Rincewind wasn't so bad after all, actually he was rather good - but I still don't think he should have been Albert :D

Yes, Rincewind was good, but it seemed strange to see David Jason as another character.
We agree to differ :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Dotsie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Vive la difference, & whatnot :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tiffany » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Oh! Most deffinately :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby chris.ph » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:31 pm

always pictured rincewind as quite tall , very thin, with a ratty type face even without the kirby illustrations. david jason could not be further away from my mental image of him. i still enjoyed tho :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:48 pm

So did I Chris, but I am enjoying it again as well. Second half tonight, when my friend gets here.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:06 pm

For some reason I just couldn't make myself watch Colour of Magic or Hogfather on the box - much as I like David Jason and his acting he cannot and never will be Rincewind unless he 'voices' him for animation or is cgi'ed into a tall skinny dude like Ray Winston was morphed into a barbarian lurve-god in Beowulf... :roll: . Sean Astin's a bit of a stretch for Twoflower as well but I can forgive him most things as he's such an intelligent actor.

I may be able to force myself to swell Tesco's coffers for Xmas but I'm having to think hard about it even after reading much positive feedback in here :wink:

Hey Tiffany - great new avatar! 8)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Catch-up » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:53 pm

Watched it here and really enjoyed it! :D Although, Tiffany, I do agree with all you mentioned. I didn't feel that Twoflower had to be Chinese, but Sean Astin in the role took a little getting used to. Vetinari was really hard to watch. The character came off as silly and crazy. It was done all wrong. David Jason wasn't a good Rincewind either. He pulled it off enough for me not to dwell on it (like the Vetinari thing), but they would have done better with a younger actor.

And, despite all my complaining, I really did enjoy it. :oops: :lol: So did hubby. :D And I spotted a couple of familiar faces!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tiffany » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:42 pm

I did enjoy it, dispite my moans. I do hope someone makes another Discworld film/series/whatever.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Katariina » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:13 pm

Tiffany wrote:I did enjoy it, dispite my moans. I do hope someone makes another Discworld film/series/whatever.

They're making Going Postal next. :)
If Pinocchio says "My nose will grow now", what happens?
Katariina

Postby Tiffany » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Katariina wrote:
Tiffany wrote:I did enjoy it, dispite my moans. I do hope someone makes another Discworld film/series/whatever.

They're making Going Postal next. :)

Brilliant!!!Thanks for the info. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby mspanners » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:41 am

Jan Van Quirm, The Hogfather is very good adaption of the book... far better than The Colour of Magic and I would recommend you getting a copy or waiting until Hogwatch............ sorry Christmas as it is sure to be shown again sometime. Tea Time is particularly evil and dark , darker than in the book to my eyes! And creepy........ :shock:
mspanners

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre