New Tricks - Nooooooo

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

New Tricks - Nooooooo

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:56 pm

New Tricks’ star James Bolam has quit the hugely popular drama, just days after it was announced that the show was to have another series.

The actor’s agent confirmed that he is leaving the show saying, “James Bolam is not doing another series of New Tricks.”

According to the Telegraph the 76-year-old actor is reported to have said that the show had gone “stale”.

Bolam played central character Jack Halford in the long running BBC series, alongside co-stars Dennis Waterman, Amanda Redman and Alun Armstrong who make up a group of old-school police officers that are brought back from retirement to work on unsolved and open cases.

The programme is BBC’s most popular drama with viewing figures of just under 10 million.

The announcement comes just days after the BBC commissioned another series of the show with all cast members involved.

Ben Stephenson, the controller of BBC Drama Commissioning, even went so far to say that, “Amanda, Dennis, Alun and James are a dream team that BBC One viewers have taken to their hearts.”

The producers are now hoping to get Bolam to appear as a cameo in one of the episodes saying, “We are in talks with James about him returning for one episode next year. We are very excited about the return of the rest of the cast.”

:cry:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:48 pm

From what I've seen, he was missing from a lot of episodes anyway. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Gonna have to break this news gently to the missus... :?
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:04 pm

Tonyblack wrote:From what I've seen, he was missing from a lot of episodes anyway. :?

A couple of series ago, he missed two or three at the beginning, but I believe he's been in every one since.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:04 pm

DaveC wrote:Gonna have to break this news gently to the missus... :?

Ply her with strong liquor! :wink:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:41 pm

I don't watch it really, but Alun Armstrong is in it, isn't he? I used to mistake him for the late Pete Postlethwaite. I enjoyed him playing Bucket in Bleak House, and the really nasty (and nigh-indestructible) Flintwinch in Little Dorrit.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Penfold » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:22 pm

That's a shame, I enjoy New Tricks which is a gentle and more humorous sort of cop show compared to most. The acting is normally of good quality as well. :(

As a bit of an 'add on' (if you don't mind Bouncy, since its your thread) which actor would you like to see replace him?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:14 am

Not sure (and feel free to highjack!).

Someone on BBC boards suggested that there's a plethora of TV cops available since the cancellation of The Bill.

Bouncy Castle

Return to TV, film, theatre