Why aren't they more terry pratchett movies

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby SimsKatie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:12 pm

I've always thought that the two characters on the front of the book look like Sting and Gabriel Byrne.

I try to picture Sting in a movie role, but all I see now are his flying blue underpants from Dune...
SimsKatie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:17 pm

He's such an angel! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby SimsKatie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Tonyblack wrote:He's such an angel! :lol: :lol: :lol:

He looks like he rolled over on a crow in his sleep.
SimsKatie

Postby Quatermass » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:51 pm

That's his infamous space-togs from Dune.

He looked right for Feyd-Rautha, but he should have been given more depth by the movie. In the movie, I'm not sure how much of the relatively cunning and intelligent, but still sociopathic young man came through. It's better in the miniseries.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby ramtopsman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:55 am

Nice to see alot of newer members shows how long I posed haha

Anyway the last I heard was mort was ment to be in talks with disney as a animated film

good omens is in development by prime focus for uk tv along with the watch tv series

mr pratchett is alergic to holywood in his own words

truckers was ment to be in development three years ago by dreamworks bur was pushed aside

tifinay acing series would be good and im guessing there would be a big demand for it off more than one film company aslong as no one messes with the script like they tried to do in the past thats why it never got made (check the interviews on youtube called pratchett alergic to holywood)
Check out all things pratchett at

www.youtube.com/user/ramtopsman
ramtopsman

Postby Jason » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:21 am

Don't write off the Dreamworks' Truckers Movie yet. I heard that it might still get released in 2013.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby ramtopsman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:05 am

Cheers jason :-) I hope they do :-)

ramtopsman

Postby feanor » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:03 pm

Ayup All...

Unfortunately Pterrys Books will 'Suffer' like any other Authors for the Silver Screen. This simple fact is also the Hot topic of Debate over at the Hobbit-Movie.com site. Until I listened to Director Peter Jacksons Commentaries featured on the extended cuts of the LOTR Trilogy, I had no Idea how difficult it was to squeeze so much Information that a Book gives you, ONTO the screen without it being overlong, 'Flabby' and Tedious... There was so much I disliked about the Rings films, minor omissions, Digressions and the Like. Now I know the Story is the thing that ultimately matters, and as long as things aren't too Screwy, small changes aren't so bad.

What's Interesting to me though, is, however 'Allergic' to Hollywood pterry is, he Still let Sky make those AWFUL Mini-Series things.

But I have to Agree Tony, that DWs Death (On paper at least...) is Best of all. He's the one I'd like to see me across the Great Divide... Because I think he cares SO much more about Humanity than many real people do.
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby ramtopsman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:20 pm

Ahh the sky adaptations are not so bad I mean as far as hogfather goes its pretty loyal to the book but not everything can ever be put into a 1 and a half hour tv film

colour of magic missed loadsssss out and was possibly the worst one

going postal had a little to much ANTI SMOKING moral thrown into it

the cartoons are pretty faithful but no one person has the same depiction of a character in their head either via manorisms or looks or voice

johnny and the bomb was pretty much to the book if a little on the cheap side

and apart from the bad acting johnny and the dead was pretty close

truckers was beautifly animated and was pretty much to the book nut mainly because it was an episodic series

films like tifanny aching wlll be made in the future but possibly after terry pratchett has gone, this is mainly to do with the fact companies dont like him saying no to the script they hand him, he always wants to stick to the story,

all in all no matter what expectations you have you could never get the result you want

I hope that snowgum films do a great job on troll bridge though :-)

ramtopsman

Postby feanor » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Ayup Ramtopsman...

And that's precisely what I was saying: as the Stones say: 'You can't always get what you want'... And I wouldn't mind if a Movie wasn't Quite (within Limitations) 'Right', but when an Author transfers his work to others, they'll NEVER see what he, or Indeed I, see on the back of his/my skull when I'm reading, and he writing. Hopefully somewheres Inbetween...
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby SimsKatie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm warning you now, but I really love Hogfather. It's part of my Christmas Films List, films I watch every Christmas no matter what.
(the others are the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas from 1966 and Creature Comforts: Merry Christmas Everybody)
SimsKatie

Postby DaveC » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Only saw Hogfather for the first time this year but it too now has a place on that list in our home. :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Penfold » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:34 pm

SimsKatie wrote:I'm warning you now, but I really love Hogfather. It's part of my Christmas Films List, films I watch every Christmas no matter what.

At least they cast David Jason right in that one.

To be honest, I wouldn't object to Sky doing all the Tiffany books provided that they can get the casting right. I don't think that there would be too much need for meddling with the story either, for non-DW fans to understand what it was about. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby ramtopsman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Well lets see how UU comes out When they finaly start filming

I was ment to be talking to the head of the Manchester department of THE MOB but i havent heard back so im guessing they dont wanna talk

Meh to them :lol:

ramtopsman

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:27 pm

I liked the Hogfather it's my favorite out of the three, and C.O.M the worst but sky was to blame for that, going Postal was quite good the best technically I think, Looking forward to getting my DVD from Snowgum the updates look quite good. :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre