Happy Birthday Star Trek!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:26 am

There was an animated series? :shock:

I was just reading on Blastr (or some other SciFi site) that the crew we know and love today, were nearly 100% changed from the ones in the pilot.

The original captain was called Pine.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby ChristianBecker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 am

Happy Birthday, youngster!
May the force be with you and make your ears pointy, long and prosperous.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:04 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:There was an animated series? :shock:

I was just reading on Blastr (or some other SciFi site) that the crew we know and love today, were nearly 100% changed from the ones in the pilot.

The original captain was called Pine.
His name was Christopher Pike, not Pine. He was in the pilot episode called The Cage with Jeffrey Hunter playing Captain Pike.

This episode was rehashed and show in The Original Series as The Menagerie.

Mrs Roddenberry (aka Majel Barrett) played the first officer in that pilot episode. She then went on to play Nurse Christine Chapel in the original series, Lwaxana Troi in numerous episodes as well as being the voice of the computer in most of the later series. :D

Edit due to mixing up a name. :roll:
Last edited by Tonyblack on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:09 am

I tried to post that message 3 times, then gave up. Where did it spring from? :roll:

I knew about Mrs R. being in it.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:11 am

Well it posted twice. :lol:

Here's info about The Animated Series. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:20 am

Lt. M'Ress

God, they do love an apostrophe in Science Fiction, don't they?

Stargate SG1 was littered with them!!

I miss Teal'c :lol:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:31 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:
Lt. M'Ress

God, they do love an apostrophe in Science Fiction, don't they?

Stargate SG1 was littered with them!!

I miss Teal'c :lol:
Yeah, Lt. M'Ress was a sort of prototype Thundercat. :lol:

Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:41 am

Interesting. Was she a lioness because Lt Uhuruhruru came from the African Bantu tribe?
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:44 am

No, she's a Caitian.

Wikipedia wrote:Caitians are a race of humanoid cat-like aliens. Caitians are upright bipeds with pointed ears, slit-shaped pupils, whiskers, a tail and thick fur (usually including a mane). In addition to physical traits, Caitians are curious and have a hunter's instinct. Caitians were introduced in Star Trek: The Animated Series, which featured communications officer M'Ress. Caitians have been observed in the feature films and appear often in the Pocket Books extended series. The Caitian homeworld is Cait, a Class M planet known to the Caitians themselves as Ferasa. Cait is a member of the United Federation of Planets. Caitians speak a combination of vowel and soft consonant sounds which to human ears would not sound like speech so much as purring.

A Caitian Admiral was seen in Starfleet Headquarters in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, and a three-breasted felinoid dancer attacked Captain Kirk on Nimbus III in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, though the shooting script refers to this race as Kzintirett, a female Kzinti. Caitians are a playable species via purchasable content in the game Star Trek Online.
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:51 am

In the new ST film, with the reboot, Pike still ends up in a wheelchair. Poor bugger, what are the odds?

Tonyblack wrote:I loved it, but Ifind some of those early episodes a little difficult to watch these days - same goes for early TNG.

The first series got worse through the seasons, whereas later series all got better. But I love them all.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Dotsie wrote:In the new ST film, with the reboot, Pike still ends up in a wheelchair. Poor bugger, what are the odds?

Tonyblack wrote:I loved it, but Ifind some of those early episodes a little difficult to watch these days - same goes for early TNG.

The first series got worse through the seasons, whereas later series all got better. But I love them all.
I always thought that Pike's wheelchair was really pants. And his ability to be only able to say yes or no with a lightbulb was naff in the extreme. :lol:

Have you seen The Cage, Dotsie? I think it's a really good episode, as is 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' the first Kirk episode with Gary Lockwood (2001 A Space Odyssey). But Kirk seems to have a different middle name in that one. There's a grave stone with the name James R Kirk in it. :shock:
Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Tonyblack wrote:No, she's a Caitian.

Wikipedia wrote:Caitians are a race of humanoid cat-like aliens. Caitians are upright bipeds with pointed ears, slit-shaped pupils, whiskers, a tail and thick fur (usually including a mane). In addition to physical traits, Caitians are curious and have a hunter's instinct. Caitians were introduced in Star Trek: The Animated Series, which featured communications officer M'Ress. Caitians have been observed in the feature films and appear often in the Pocket Books extended series. The Caitian homeworld is Cait, a Class M planet known to the Caitians themselves as Ferasa. Cait is a member of the United Federation of Planets. Caitians speak a combination of vowel and soft consonant sounds which to human ears would not sound like speech so much as purring.

A Caitian Admiral was seen in Starfleet Headquarters in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, and a three-breasted felinoid dancer attacked Captain Kirk on Nimbus III in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, though the shooting script refers to this race as Kzintirett, a female Kzinti. Caitians are a playable species via purchasable content in the game Star Trek Online.

She might be (the animation) but Uhurururu wa a bantu. Just thought it strange that she should be in a lioness form.

Leave me alone. I just need a lie down in a dark room! :lol: :wink:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Dotsie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Have you seen The Cage, Dotsie? I think it's a really good episode, as is 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' the first Kirk episode with Gary Lockwood (2001 A Space Odyssey). But Kirk seems to have a different middle name in that one. There's a grave stone with the name James R Kirk in it. :shock:

The Cage was really good, but I can see why they changed Spock, he's really scary! It was good to see a woman in a strong role as well, seems it was a bit too early for that though.

As for the grave stone, well obviously they hadn't had time to come up with a really cool middle name yet - or maybe Gary Mitchell couldn't remember Kirk's middle name and was just guessing :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Uhura was in the animated series as herself. They were going to drop Sulu and Uhura, but Leonard Nimoy refused to be in it if they didn't include those two.

Incidentally, Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) was ready to quit the show after the first series as she didn't see her character going anywhere. Then she got a visit from Martin Luther King Jr., who was a big fan of the show, and he told her how important it was for her to stay on the show. One of the first African American women actresses in a major role.

Her appearance in the show when on to inspire lots of other people, including Whoopi Goldberg.
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I always thought that Pike's wheelchair was really pants. And his ability to be only able to say yes or no with a lightbulb was naff in the extreme. :lol:

Well, you know, once the Republicans ended all entitlements in the 23rd century, the yes/no wheelchair was the best he could afford on a captain's disability pension. :D
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre