Title Sequences of note...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:21 pm

SimsKatie wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Now, speaking of popular anime, I might as well put down the title sequence for one of my favourites, Neon Genesis Evangelion (here, Tony, this is what it looks like).

I love the Evangelion opening for how utterly deceptive it is.

"Yay, nice happy music! Seize your destiny - oh God! Why Why Why arrgggh...." and then dissolving into inarticulate flailing, followed by curling up against the wall and sobbing.

Actually, I heard that Hideaki Anno wanted to use some classical piece or something. But the TV station decided that a J-Pop piece was needed instead. :roll:
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby deldaisy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Good thread Q.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby DaveC » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:50 pm

OK I'll finally chime in now Q,

Panic Room, now used a lot in films and TV (looking at you Fringe), these were pretty groundbreaking in 2001

Enter the Void not seen the film yet but I saw Irreversible, his previous film looks mental!

Austin Powers in The Spy Who Shagged Me classic.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby SimsKatie » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Quatermass wrote:Actually, I heard that Hideaki Anno wanted to use some classical piece or something. But the TV station decided that a J-Pop piece was needed instead. :roll:

Was it an entire solid minute of "Ode an die Freude", by chance?
SimsKatie

Postby Quatermass » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:13 am

SimsKatie wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Actually, I heard that Hideaki Anno wanted to use some classical piece or something. But the TV station decided that a J-Pop piece was needed instead. :roll:

Was it an entire solid minute of "Ode an die Freude", by chance?

No. Wikipedia says that Anno wanted extracts from some piece called Polovetsian Dances by Alexander Borodin. :?

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby SimsKatie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Quatermass wrote:No. Wikipedia says that Anno wanted extracts from some piece called Polovetsian Dances by Alexander Borodin. :?

I can see how that would work, but only if you'd already seen Eva and could apply the Dances to it after the fact. As an intro... I don't think it would have worked to bring people into the show for the first time.

Oh well, Catherine got it instead...
SimsKatie

Postby Quatermass » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:12 am

Okay, so, it was inevitable that I post a link to one of Doctor Who's titles, but which one?

Well, the most striking is, I have to say, the latest. Despite the arrangement of the theme (which is an acquired taste), the visuals are actually the best in the various versions of the title sequence, and considering what the graphic designers like Bernard Lodge and Sid Sutton did with howl-around, slit scan and animation before CGI came around, that's saying something. My personal favourite, then, is the latest title sequence.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Previous

Return to TV, film, theatre