Programmes That Need Repeating

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Tiffany wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:It can't be done - the Beeb in their infinite wisdom didn't keep a lot of the early recordings. :roll:

They were so stupid! :x

They weren't the only ones to have no vision - after Star Trek finished filming, they destroyed the entire set. The captain's chair, in a skip! :shock:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Calm down, dear!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:54 pm

Worzel Gummidge! I LOVED that show!!! He used to SWEAR!! Tell them to piss off even! :lol: And it was dead scarey alot of the time.

Remember Aunt Sally? And Dolly Clothes-Peg? Aunt Sally reminds me sooooo much of the way the house keeper of the UU talks (?name?)

Hai hwould laike twho hremind hyou...... etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPgmcFkVrK0
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby deldaisy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Dots wrote:They weren't the only ones to have no vision - after Star Trek finished filming, they destroyed the entire set. The captain's chair, in a skip!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! They NEVER! What? Not ONE of the blokes on set thought "That's make a perfic TV chair that would!" ?

I would have it.... AND charge people to sit in it. :wink:

"Put ya bum where Captain Kirk put his" You would have paid right Dots? :wink:

You WOULD HAVE!
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:09 pm

All my pocket money, Del :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Willem » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Bernard and the Genie was awesome. I've seen it so many times, wonder how it would hold up now (threw out all the old VHS tapes long ago).
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby David Brown » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:06 pm

Tiffany wrote:They were so stupid! :x

In all fairness, tape was expensive, so was re-used, agreements with unions, especially Equity, limited the number of repeats, and home VCRs, with the potential to create a market for selling copies to fans, did not yet exist, at least when the destruction began. Television was not seen, even by its own creators, as anything more than an ephemeral art form, and posterity was not considered.

With the knowledge of the world as it was at the time, the decision made good sense, much as fans like me might loathe it.

Years later, when VCRs were widely available, feature films being released on VHS, and the BBC starting to put out documentaries, they stated that it was unlikely that they would ever offer even classic dramas such as I, Claudius to the public, as obtaining the necessary releases would, it was felt, be more work than the value of the market for such material.
David Brown

Postby meerkat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:25 pm

They tried that with 'You Rang M'lord?' Demand saw that it was released.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:43 pm

I used to love 'Two Point Four Children'.

The Star Trek funeral episode was hysterical. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby David Brown » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:49 pm

meerkat wrote:They tried that with 'You Rang M'lord?' Demand saw that it was released.

I'm talking about years before that was even made, around about 1980.
David Brown

Postby meerkat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Willem wrote:Bernard and the Genie was awesome. I've seen it so many times, wonder how it would hold up now (threw out all the old VHS tapes long ago).

Was that the one where the guy was an Astronaught?
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Previous

Return to TV, film, theatre