What's so great about Doctor Who?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:01 pm

I'm not really sure what the big deal is here. It's just telly :roll:

I have noticed though that some people can't stand to have Dr Who slagged off, Q - yes, you're one of them. But why get so defensive about it? A lot of people don't like Star Trek, I do. But would telling them to "eat sh** and die" add anything to my argument, or invalidate it completely?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The main role of all the companions/assistants is so the doctor has someone to talk at. If he was on his own, we'd never know what he was thinking. The companion is like Dr Watson - someone to explain things to. :D

Agreed, though a companion is not strictly necessary. Witness The Deadly Assassin, partly written to give Tom Baker a chance to carry the show solo for once. Not to mention the 2009 specials. All those stories gave him 'companion'-like characters (Spandrell and Engin in The Deadly Assassin, 'the next Doctor' and Rosita in The Next Doctor, Lady Christina in Planet of the Dead, Adelaide in The Waters of Mars, and Wilfred Mott in The End of Time), though, for the purposes of story exposition.

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Christopher Eccleston? Image Doh! Getting old and forgetful

I just didn't know whether it was a mistake, or else you were talking about both eras. Sorry, JVQ. :)

Dotsie wrote:I'm not really sure what the big deal is here. It's just telly :roll:

As the Doctor in my avatar would say, "Just telly? Just telly? JUST TELLY!?" The fact is, a good chunk of what British television puts on is far superior to whatever Hollywood can crank out in terms of story. I only wish Aussie TV was half as good, but most of it's soaps, crappy comedies, and kid's programs. :(

One of my life's ambitions is to write a really good science fiction series to be produced in Australia.

Dotsie wrote:I have noticed though that some people can't stand to have Dr Who slagged off, Q - yes, you're one of them. But why get so defensive about it? A lot of people don't like Star Trek, I do. But would telling them to "eat sh** and die" add anything to my argument, or invalidate it completely?

Well, I'll be frank, Dotsie. Probably the biggest contributing factor to my defensiveness about the series was that I was bullied at school because of my enjoyment of the show. It was a guaranteed berserk button then, and age has only worsened my bitterness. I am willing to concede that the program has faults, especially now, but it does not detract too much from its greatness. Doctor Who is nearly as emotive an issue for me as, I am sure, religion is for fundies, only I am willing to concede that Doctor Who has flaws and isn't perfect. It's certainly not on as high a pedestal as I had erected it when I was younger.

So, no, telling someone to 'eat sh** and die' does not add to the argument at all, but it gives me enormous personal satisfaction. It's a rarity for me to use that turn of phrase, and I felt it tied in well with my earlier assertion that Weston had his head up his alimentary canal.

And while I may make fun of Star Trek on occasion, the truth be told, I actually did enjoy some episodes of it, particularly of the original series (and of The Next Generation: one of my earliest memories of Star Trek was watching The Skin of Evil), and the movies. Star Trek's impact on the world of science fiction television is undeniable. I'm just prejudiced towards British television, more often than not.

Plus, the Borg are SO much a ripoff of the Cybermen. :)

No offence meant at all (sincerely), Dotsie. Just a little jab. :wink:
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 am

When it comes to Star Trek, I'm untouchable :D

(just stay away from Captain Kirk :P )
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:02 am

Dotsie wrote:When it comes to Star Trek, I'm untouchable :D

(just stay away from Captain Kirk :P )

I needn't do that at all. TV Tropes has already done so. In fact, the caption for the image once read "Only one of these hams is kosher, and only one of these hams can be cured." :)

In fact, both Doctor Who and Star Trek have their own Large Ham pages on TV Tropes. Goes to show. :)

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby David Brown » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Tonyblack wrote::lol: A while back, on the CA board, they were all getting really excited about each episode, only to pull it to pieces once they'd seen it. The same thought crossed my mind then.

In a way, I guess it means so much to people that they want it to be perfect. It's a bit like film adaptations of Discworld books. We expect so much from them that we get disappointed when they don't quite deliver. :)

I am a member of another forum, which specifically discusses Doctor Who. The membership is, in theory, made up of fans of the show, but there's a lot of negativity there.
David Brown

Postby Quatermass » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:54 pm

David Brown wrote:I am a member of another forum, which specifically discusses Doctor Who. The membership is, in theory, made up of fans of the show, but there's a lot of negativity there.

Well, here, you have someone with a more biased opinion of making them out to be great. That being said, there are stories I detest: the worst of the worst are The Ark, Four to Doomsday, and The Twin Dilemma.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby raisindot » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Tonyblack wrote:A while back, on the CA board, they were all getting really excited about each episode, only to pull it to pieces once they'd seen it. The same thought crossed my mind then.

This whole online dissection thing is as old as the Internet itself--well, as old as the old alt.news groups. Which was where the most famous online fanboy episode putdown of all time was created, in the most anal-retentive, hypercritical TV episode forum, the Usenet Simpsons forum. Of course, we speak of the now legendary meme:

WORST. EPISODE. EVER.

:D
raisindot

Postby Quatermass » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Hypercritical, or hypocritical?

Don't get me wrong, I dissect episodes as I am watching them, but I also try to watch them in the context of the time. That was one of the advantages of seeing the series in order (as I did recently), as you could actually see the show evolving over time.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby psimpson » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Excellent telly though!!
Last edited by psimpson on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
psimpson

Postby Kin Arad » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:14 pm

three days to go :) , am i right??
“Wouldn’t that unplug your heating pad?”
Kin Arad

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:25 pm

7.10pm, Saturday 27th August 2011.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:7.10pm, Saturday 27th August 2011.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: OH MY DOG! Yesssssssssssssssssss! Oh yessssssssssssssss! Oh baby! yes yes yesyesyesyesyes! I thought it was AGES away!!!!! Woooohooo! :D :D :D :D :D

Now......
Jan wrote:I definitely did not like the David Tennant Dr mooning around after women the whole time

Pooh on the Guardian site wrote:
I reckon a lot of people here complaining about Doctor Who just enjoy being misery-buckets.

It's really quite simple, if you don't like it, don't watch it.

'ZACTLY!

Dots wrote:I'm not really sure what the big deal is here. It's just telly

Dots wrote:A lot of people don't like Star Trek, I do. When it comes to Star Trek, I'm untouchable

(just stay away from Captain Kirk

....okay then... you are forgiven. You forgot to mention Picard :wink: (only man with no hair I ever thought wuz sexy! Well maybe Vin Diesel... but thats it....)

Q wrote:Plus, the Borg are SO much a ripoff of the Cybermen

SO NOT TRUE!! The borg are SO much better. Ohhhhhh! :shock: you know I luuuuuv Dr Who.... but I luvs Star Trek too.

Kin wrote:three days to go , am i right??

Three days and ONE WEEK for us Aussies :cry: DAMN YOU ABC!!!!!
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:08 pm

I don't see why ABC can't show it on the day/day after the UK transmission.

BBC America shows it the same day as UK transmission.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:13 pm

They USED to Bouncy.... but what they do is put it up on the internet ABC site the next day..... and it gets hit so hard by people to view Dr Who that the Dr Who hits justify the whole low ratings of every other minute of the site.

B************DS!
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Oh, that's sneaky.

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre